News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Quitting Smoking, The Habit Has Been Kicked!!!

Started by Skinypete, September 19, 2010, 01:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeryst

Every time you smoke, shock yourself in the testicles with a stun gun.

twodko

jeryst, you're a sick puppy......................but the theory is workable for those who just can't quit!
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Brock Lee

Quote from: Darkman on September 20, 2010, 07:12:40 PM
Apparently after 7 years, your lungs "clean up" and it is as if you have never smoked!

I don't know about medically, but it seems true from experience. I remember trying one just a couple years after and I puked. It has been 12 years and I know just being in a room with lots of second hand smoke is hard to handle. I also noticed that chest colds were hard to shake when I was a smoker. Now if I happen to get one, it passes within a few days.

tricky lugnuts

Number one - just don't smoke!

You will want one.

You will get mad.  :RantExplode:

You will want to kill people.

You will dream about smoking (Seriously, I haven't smoked in two years and I dreamed about smoking just last night, sneaking two Marlboros).

You will daydream about how great those cigarettes were and the smell of other people smoking will get your senses tingling. You'll see cigarette butts on the ground and look at them in new ways.

Just don't smoke. It's really that simple.

You've got to find what works best for you - gum, toothpicks, exercise. Don't carry around a lighter.

Congratulations on your decision to quit - now just man up and do it by not smoking.

And yes, you're lungs will heal with time. Your sense of smell and taste will also come roaring back to life.

RallyeMike

QuoteBut much like there's no such thing as an ex alcoholic, there's no such thing as an ex smoker. To smell one being smoked is close to nirvana.

So true.

I love to smoke, but I don't. I've seen a co-worker die from it, and just found out yesterday that another co-worker has stage 4 lung cancer. Of course we talked about it when he was coming in from his smoke-break  :shruggy:  So my suggestion is what worked for me - really just spend some serious time thinking about risk vs the reward, and what it might do to yourself, your family and friends. If you have chosen chemical-aid that might also help - go for it. But the primary solution is in your head.

RIP C.S.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

jeryst

Thankfully, I dont smoke, but I have a lot of friends who do.

Some of them have quit for many years. Some as long as 20 years.

Then they decide to try one for "Old times sake".

ALL of them, wound up smoking again, and going right back to their previous levels.

There is no such thing as "Having one for old times sake".

Remember, "The First One, is The Worst One".

Skinypete

I smoked the last one in the pack at midnight today and quit cold turkey :coolgleamA: So far the hardest thing is finding something to do with my hands :brickwall:  Its really hard walking from class to class and seeing everyone smoking.  Thanks for the suggestions and help everyone!

DJMIII
DJMIII

elacruze

Quote from: Skinypete on September 22, 2010, 10:15:13 AM
I smoked the last one in the pack at midnight today and quit cold turkey :coolgleamA: So far the hardest thing is finding something to do with my hands :brickwall:  Its really hard walking from class to class and seeing everyone smoking.  Thanks for the suggestions and help everyone!

DJMIII

When you see smokers, imagine them naked.

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Vainglory, Esq.

Congratulations.  Now stay strong.

twodko

You can do this bro. Ditto, ditto, ditto what tricky lugnuts said. The first 3 or 4 days are the worst. On campus find new routes to and from classes to avoid smokers. As far as the "hands" thing goes just stay busy, find things to do......work in the garage, do some gardening, make repairs to your crib, paint a room etc. If you do all these things and are still grumpy declare jihad on the local CrispyCreams.........it'll take your mind off smokes! We WILL pester you about how you're doing so consider yourself forewarned! I have faith in you.

Tom

jeryst

[/quote]

When you see smokers, imagine them getting shocked in the testicles with a stun gun.
See? Works all the way around - lol

bakerhillpins

Quote from: jeryst on September 22, 2010, 10:55:33 AM
Quote from: elacruze on September 22, 2010, 10:55:33 AM

When you see smokers, imagine them getting shocked in the testicles with a stun gun.

Dude! I don't smoke and that makes me cringe and want to run away from someone who does.  :smilielol:

Good luck! It's a tough road but you can do it! :2thumbs:

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

ipstrategies

I quit after smoking 15 years, it has been 13 years now.
I agree with the action part of it, human are habit creatures.
I found that as soon as I was done eating I would get up and clean up my plate etc. (break the light up habit)
I also found everything tasted much saltier and we cut back on salt.
I always know that one hit of a smoke anytime even now and I will be back to the habit. Nicotine is one of the most addicting substance (and its legal and other non addicting are not???)
I had dreams for a while that I would pick up a smoke and that would be it.
Good luck you can do it (if YOU decide to quit) my mother inlaw quit after 40 years.
1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

Skinypete

Well its been 39 hours and quite frankly it sucks.  I can't even begin to tell you how many sun flower seeds I've ate or how much gum I've chewed but I'm staying the course! Thanks for all the help, suggestions, and support you all have given  :2thumbs:
DJMIII

moparstuart

Quote from: Skinypete on September 23, 2010, 02:15:57 PM
Well its been 39 hours and quite frankly it sucks.  I can't even begin to tell you how many sun flower seeds I've ate or how much gum I've chewed but I'm staying the course! Thanks for all the help, suggestions, and support you all have given  :2thumbs:
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:  keep it up
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

twodko

Hell man,

39 hours!!!! SkinnyPete you have it beat, like you said - stay the course. The rest is easy after the first 24 hours. Staying active is key.

Bobs69

A nurse once told me that drinking lots of water will help flush the nicotine out of your system faster.

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Darkman on September 20, 2010, 07:12:40 PM
Apparently after 7 years, your lungs "clean up" and it is as if you have never smoked!

it is actually closer to approx 2x the time you smoked...    that is if you are a normal activity level...         If you're active it takes less time.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

MoparManJim

Quote from: jeryst on September 22, 2010, 10:55:33 AM

[/quote] 

Yet they thought your idea was sick! just think that their idea is even more sicker then yours is!  :lol: 

What I would do is have a can or bottle of pop, that would be using your hands and the drink would be good for you as well.   

adauto

My mom quit when a good friend of hers died of lung cancer years ago. Never had the cig habit myself. But I got a few buddies that smoke all day long, one wont try to quit the other has quit several times. I belive its an addiction for sure. Anyway best of luck!
Never too many! 70 Chally R/T Convert-70 GTX-68-69-74 Charger-68 Dart GTS

http://a-dauto.com/  http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

nh_mopar_fan

Gum and toosie pops.

I quit cold turkey, Oct 1997.

squeakfinder

Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

jeryst

A lot of ex-smokers complain that they gained a lot of weight. I think the reason for this is because they substitute food for the cigs.
Then they used the weight gain as an excuse to start smoking again.

Dont convert your smoking habit to an eating habit, or that will happen for sure.

Hers's an idea. Every time you feel the urge for a smoke, go out and do something on your Mopar.
Take off some little part, even if it is just one nut or bolt, polish the heck out of it, and put it back on.
You'll not only quit smoking, you'll have a concours quality vehicle when you are done - lol.

RD

quit for 8 years now.  visualize your goal:  LIFE.

in my case it was the LIFE I could share with my newborn daughter.  I found it is easier to quit for someone you love than to do it for yourself.  I tried doing it for myself and could never stick it through, but with my loved ones I felt a new motivation not to let them down.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

ACUDANUT