News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Shelby Charger Coming Back to Life

Started by 71charger_fan, December 08, 2010, 06:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71charger_fan

The '83 Shelby Charger I bought new is slowly coming back to life. Rusted out a-pillars and floor are repaired. Passenger quarter needs minor attention and there're a few small rustholes in the hatch. I know the L-bodies aren't the most popular with our members, but, faced with the choice of letting it die or bringing it back, I just couldn't let it die.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ghoste

b5blue

71ChallengeHer

Very cool. I really like the Shelby's.  :2thumbs:

71charger_fan

I don't know if it'll ever look like this again, but I'll try.

71charger_fan

It's getting expensive just to go pick up parts. I drove out to WV (just shy of a 400-mile round trip) to pick up a set of Shelby Charger seats. It cost me $42 in gas just to get there in the Grand Cherokee. My $140 seats turned into about $220 seats after paying for gas to go get them.

charger2fast4u

Good choice on bringing it back to life you don't see them to often even if they ain't so popular they are hard to find its good to see one more saved that still ain't a bad price for original seats you would most likely be paying more for anykind of  aftermarket seats

71charger_fan

If anyone looks in on this thread that visits salvage yards in states where the sun doesn't tear up interiors, there are a few parts I'd be happy to pay you for. PM me if interested. A lot of the plastic parts in mine have deteriorated terribly. I was lucky to find a pair of good a-pillar covers at Omni-Potent parts. My originals had holes through them from UV rot.

71charger_fan

I dropped off a quarter off a parts car this morning to provide a factory patch for that rotted section. There are some compound curves in there where the side skirts attach that are hard to fabricate.

71charger_fan

71charger_fan

I was probably getting ahead of myself, but I got tired of moving the headliner board out of my way and just went ahead and redid it.

71charger_fan

71charger_fan

71charger_fan

Quarter patched using metal from donor car.

71charger_fan

Cleaned up the donor seats. Not perfect, but not too bad for almost 28 years old.

71charger_fan

Here it is when it was a year old. Still a long way to go.

71_Charger_R/T

That is too cool! I am also a "71 Charger fan" and I used to own a twin to your Shelby.
Boy I loved that car..... It was a ton of fun for the money. I put an '85 Turbo motor in it and when the synchros went bad in the tranny I replaced it with an "Omni American" 5 speed, WHOOOO WHOOOO! The top end was crazy, I could (and did) bury that 95 MPH speedo like nothing. Wound pretty tight I'd come out of 2nd gear about 75 mph. I'm looking forward to seeing it done. That Santa Fe blue is beautiful!

71charger_fan

Done is a ways off. I'm headed to scenic Pakistan for a year (possibly two). I hope to get as much prep done as I can during R&Rs.

71_Charger_R/T

Thank you for your service!  :patriot: Wish I was closer and could help you get it done while you're away, I need another project and that would be near to my heart.

71charger_fan

I was home for the Mopar show at Mason-Dixon this past weekend. There were two '83s for sale. Very tempting. It would have been much cheaper to buy one of those than fix mine, but then it wouldn't have been the car I bought new.

71charger_fan

My outer belt weatherstrips are shot. I asked the good folks at OMNI-Potent if they planned to repro those in addition to the four-door ones they now carry. They said they're still available from Mopar. Today I checked. They were. There were still about 40 for each door in the system. The rear hatch nameplates are discontinued though. Instead, I ordered nameplates for a 2010. I like the way they look better than the "correct" ones anyway. One of the newer nameplates was about $8, the other was almost $50. WTH?

jaak

:2thumbs: Cool project! Keep us updated!

Jason

71charger_fan

I bought a TP Tools Showtime 90 HVLP system a couple of years ago. However, I've had to finally admit that I'm not home enough to do a proper paint job and am waiting for an estimate to just have it done. I hate to have all that patchwork done then let it sit outside for almost 2 years.

Charger RT

nice L body. I always liked the blue and silver. One day I want one. Right now I have 2 AG and 2 AJ bodys. Both AG's are 16 valve turbos.
Tim

71charger_fan

I committed to spending $3500 to have the car painted while I'm overseas. While I've not met the painter, he does the work for a friend's fabrication shop and comes highly recommended. If it comes out well, I might let him do the '71 as well.