News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New replica of the Charger 69 center plastic grille!

Started by bobfist, December 16, 2010, 03:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stripedelete

Quote from: tan top on January 08, 2011, 07:03:10 PM
Quote from: bull on January 08, 2011, 06:35:55 PM
Quote from: stripedelete on January 08, 2011, 10:23:36 AM
So, no chance in hell the original mold, machines, equipment, are sitting around somewhere?  Maybe?

Don't quote me but I've heard a bunch of the original moulding and dies were destroyed in a fire way back when.

i  read  , that in the 70s  chrysler sold  all the tooling for sheet metal  ,  & engine blocks  , for scrap !!   but who knows  :shruggy: :popcrn:

Saw a thread about arm rest bases where someone discovered/noticed a second supplier of plastic trim pieces.  Wonder what the chances are that every part had a 2ND / backup supplier?  Probably a rhetorical question. Because if I had a mold sitting around, I would probably be checking into what it was for, and if there was any demand.

I wonder if a "repair jig(s)" could be produced affordably?  Just thinking outloud.

bull

Yea, that was my Jim Robbins Co. thread. http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,76694.0.htmlI When saw Jim Robbins Co. on my arm rest bases that's exactly where my mind went. I thought, 'what other parts were farmed out and where are those moulds and dies!?'

dccustoms

Quote from: bobfist on December 17, 2010, 03:24:50 PM
Sounds great bec i dont want to be any problem for mopar

Any updates? Progress? Pics?

I know the entire Mopar community is eagerly waiting.

bull

I hate to be a wet blanket (or realist) but unless this part is done correctly it's not worth doing. Premier Plastics did the same thing and it was a major setback for those of us who need these parts. I hate to say this but I believe the only way we're ever going to have grill parts nice enough to rival the originals is when someone is willing to lose about $100,000 on moulds.

bobfist

Dont worry, we will do this, we know what we are doing
www.bobfist.com
Muscle Car Restorations & Reproduction
Sweden

drifter69

Is it just around the corner? what kind of time frame are you looking at. :shruggy:

bobfist

We shall meet the production guy in Feb and discuss how to begin the process.
Let us try and i send you guys a test product to validate :)
www.bobfist.com
Sweden

terrible one

Quote from: bobfist on January 31, 2011, 03:19:54 PM
We shall meet the production guy in Feb and discuss how to begin the process.
Let us try and i send you guys a test product to validate :)

Cool! Best of luck and ready to see how it turns out . . . then you can do the '68 next  :D

bobfist

www.bobfist.com
Sweden

694spdRT

Is there a way to mold the plastic around some type of metal frame to prevent the warpage problems? There should be a good market for these if the finished product is good.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

bobfist

Sure thats possible but thats not the things we will try this time.
Today we prepared the product.
www.bobfist.com
Sweden

bull

Quote from: bobfist on January 31, 2011, 02:58:10 PM
Dont worry, we will do this, we know what we are doing

I'm not worried, I just don't believe you can make a replica of the original part without replicating the original process.

bobfist

I understand you thoughts, as i say it will be a replica and some of you would not like it and some of you will.
The product will have the same strength  as the original part or even more.
As i say, a replica and not a Mopar original.
When its done i send one over for you to validate?

www.bobfist.com
Sweden

bull

Sure, I'll take a look. If you can convince me you can convince anyone.

FLG

Quote from: bull on February 02, 2011, 12:50:41 AM

No argument there  :smilielol:

Good luck  :2thumbs:

bobfist

www.bobfist.com
Sweden

694spdRT

Quote from: bull on February 02, 2011, 12:50:41 AM

But you have a '68, are you sure you are qualified to judge a '69 grill?   :nana:
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Mike DC

The idea has occurred to me to make things from two pieces fastened together.  Make the outer surrounding areas of the grille that need to be strong (the silver painted stuff) in fiberglass, and just use some other type of injection-molded plastic for the center slatted areas. 

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: bull on January 08, 2011, 06:35:55 PM
Quote from: stripedelete on January 08, 2011, 10:23:36 AM
So, no chance in hell the original mold, machines, equipment, are sitting around somewhere?  Maybe?

Don't quote me but I've heard a bunch of the original moulding and dies were destroyed in a fire way back when.
Anything Important to old cars always seems to be gone via some fire.  Like all the record keeping for Mopar and GM classics.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Old Moparz

Having been one of the very limited people who actually received a grill from Premiere Plastics, I'd be very interested in seeing this Charger grille too. Not that I am an expert at the methods of how plastic parts are reproduced, but I sure can tell the difference between a decent & usable piece, from a total POS. Also, & something just as important, customer service had better exist.

I used to defend the Premiere Plastics Cuda grille as a halfway decent repro part even though the customer service was a joke. I had thought it would have been usable for a driver, not a show car, but after having it in storage packed safely away & seeing it warp, forget it. I'm sure it would have been usable once installed & supported by the grill frame, but for $550 it was overpriced.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

NorwayCharger

I am sure that the end product will be as solid as a Volvo  ;)

AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

bobfist

www.bobfist.com
Sweden

six-tee-nine

If its gonna be made in Sweden it might be the first actual part that will be cheaper to purchase for the European guys than for the home country.
Talking about the world upside down :nana:
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

ChargerĀ“69

This is very interesting  :popcrn: If it is good, I might be interested  :2thumbs:
Plymouth Fury "Christine's Sister" 4x4 6-71 1959
Dodge Charger R/T 440cid 1969
Pontiac Trans Am T-top SuperBandit 400cid 1978
Jeep Cherokee Renegade 4x4 3.7 2006