News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2 speed wiper motor - 2+ months and can't get it to work

Started by Peters02, December 19, 2010, 07:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peters02

I have a 72 charger.  It's a 2 speed motor and has always been 2 speed (had car since new).  New switch.  New wiring harness.  It's the original motor and all the wires from the switch to the firewall match the original harness (which I have).
When I connect a battery to the car and move the switch to the on position the motor will go in high (not low as it should).  When I move to the next position (high), nothing.  When I move it back to the off position, it sounds as if it's skipping or clicking, but not parking.  It won't stop this until I unhook the battery.
I bench tested the motor according to the below directions and it works.
I directly grounded the swith - no difference.  I directly grounded the motor to the battery - no difference.
I get power to the blue wire at the bulkhead and I get power to the brown wire at the bulkhead.
If I swith the brown and red wires at the bulkhead the thing runs really slow in the off position and does nothing in the other positions (hey - I'll try anything at this point)....

HELP!!!!!!!  I've been stalled on this for too long.

Thank you.
Peter

Test #1(Hi speed)
Connect jumper wire from motor case to battery ground.
Connect second jumper wire from battery positive to BROWN lead.
Motor should run hi speed continuously.

Test #2 (Lo speed)
Connect jumper wire from GREEN wire to battery ground.
Join BROWN and RED wires together and connect a jumper wire from battery positive to them.
Motor should run at slower speed.

Test #3 (Park)
Connect jumper lead from GREEN to BROWN wire.
Connect jumper wire from red wire to ground.
Connect jumper wire from Blue wire to battery positive.
Motor should reverse and park.

Picture of the offending lump of metal....

Topher

That's a 3 speed in the picture. You need to make sure your switch is grounded correctly for the motor to operate correctly.
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

Peters02

Thanks.  I have checked the grounds, but I will do that again.  I assume that the way it's mounted in the instrument panel is technically how it is supposed to be grounded, right?
(I've never seen a specific ground wire for that switch alone).....

That motor has been a two speed since my dad drove it off the lot in 1971.  It's wired like a two speed (brown, red, green, blue) and the original switch was a two speed.

Peter

Nacho-RT74

well, its a three speeds... wiring is the same to 3 and 2 speeds. The changes are motor and switch itself ( and some of the linkage )

switch ground is chassis ( however I'm pretty sure they got also a prong to add a ground. 3rd gens got them but unused on plug )
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

7dcharger

Remeber Chrysler counted off as a speed. So if it has low and high, it's a three speed.

Peters02

Hmmm - if "off" is a speed then I have the fastest wiper motor in the world.  Off-off and off.

I will re-ground the switch in some manner and give a try.

Thank you for the advice.

Peter

bakerhillpins

Just thinking out loud here..

It does seem to be a 3spd motor and since you have owned it since new was it ever in for warranty work with regard to the wipers where something was possibly changed?

Out of curiosity - Is it coded for the 2 or 3 spd on the fender tag/broadcast sheet?

Can you use a multimeter and test where the wiper motor plugs into the car wiring harness? Put the switch in each of its speed positions and record the voltages at each pin of the plug without the wiper motor plugged in. Then compare the values you have read to those that you used in the tests you mentioned.. See which are different and try to trace back through the wiring from there?  Does that makes sense?
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

poppa

I have an earlier one,does yours have a brass ground from case to a mounting bolt? Have the wires been removed from the connector,check locations.
God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.

Peters02

No repairs.  Asked my father about that.
It does have the brass strap from the motor top to one of the mounting studs.
I did check the wiring from the firewall - brown/white is live when on low.  Red is live when on high.  Blue is live when off.

I am away now and the only things I can think of now doing is re-checking the grounding strap and then somehow manually grouding the switch.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Peters02 on December 26, 2010, 03:05:15 PM
I did check the wiring from the firewall - brown/white is live when on low.  Red is live when on high.  Blue is live when off.

Quote from: Peters02 on December 19, 2010, 07:21:40 PM
Test #1(Hi speed)
Connect second jumper wire from battery positive to BROWN lead.
Motor should run hi speed continuously.

Test #2 (Lo speed)
Connect jumper wire from GREEN wire to battery ground.
Join BROWN and RED wires together and connect a jumper wire from battery positive to them.
Motor should run at slower speed.

Test #3 (Park)
Connect jumper lead from GREEN to BROWN wire.
Connect jumper wire from red wire to ground.
Connect jumper wire from Blue wire to battery positive.
Motor should reverse and park.

Did you mistype something or is the power out of the firewall incorrect??
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Peters02

Well - thanks all who weighed in. 
I got a call the other day - "Now that I think about it, I did have to replace the wiper switch once."  I then began to think my father put a two speed switch into it.   :brickwall:
I got home yesterday, tackled it this afternoon, threw a three speed switch in the thing and it works like a dream.

I guess I can now sell my NOS 2 speed switch and my used 2 speed switch.  All in all, not a bad ending.  Just a long time in coming.

TylerCharger69

Quote from: 7dcharger on December 21, 2010, 11:43:40 AM
Remeber Chrysler counted off as a speed. So if it has low and high, it's a three speed.

Actually   my original 3-speed had three speeds....Low, medium, and high.....not including off....I  now have a 2 speed which is just off, low, and high.  The symptoms indicate to me that its a 3 speed motor on a 2 speed switch....Ive had those results as well on mine

68moparbob

Well, I saw this old thread and hope someone can respond and help me out. Wanting to keep all original components on my 68 Charger,  I rebuilt the  2 speed wiper motor rather than replace it. Got it back together and bench tested using the above instructions. The problem I have is that the speeds are reversed.  On test 1n the motor is turning at the slow speed and test 2 it is turning at the faster speed. The test for park works great. Any thoughts?