News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Gauge Refacing from Performance car Graphics

Started by Khyron, January 01, 2006, 10:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Khyron

This is the Reface kit from Performance Car Graphics. This is not ment to replace the enclosed directions at all. But just a pointer to anyone who thinks the want to do it. So you know what your in for. This took about 1 hour and 3 beers :D

Remove Gauge cluster, label all wires and make notes of their locations

After you remove the cluster, face it down and remove the 9 screws holding the face onto the cluster, set aside

Using a set of needle nose pliers, apply a slight pressure on the plastic clips and push out, they will pop out on their own. Set these aside

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Khyron

Inspect plastic for any cracks or fading, if the plastic has a haze to it, polish the plastic

Remove the 2 screws holding in the speedometer, be careful and make sure you retain the rubber washers

Using a 3/8’s wrench, remove the other 4 gauges

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Khyron

When removing the alternator gauges, remember to keep that plastic strip, you have live power going through this and would not want to short out your system when putting this gauge back in

You should now have all your gauges out. Line them up as they were in your dash, this will help you better to remember their locations.

Side note: Now would be a good time to remove the rest of the buttons and boards off the gauge housing and give it a god cleaning. I know I am ;)

Lets do the speed-o first. As per the instructions provided by Performance Car Graphics, clean the face and verify that it is free of rust. If your gauges are rusted and not just yellowed, you will need to remove the face, sand, paint, dry then apply the new face. In my case I’m lucky. It’s just old and yellow. I cleaned the face with some cleaner and a tooth brush, let it dry, then followed the instructions for installing the decal

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Khyron

After speedometer is done. The mini gauges are next. Make sure you follow the instructions provided. Needles DO NOT come off of these ;) well, on purpose that is :D

Ohh and if you are wonders. No, if you put the fuel gauge on wrong it doesn’t actually give you any extra gas ;)

Well, The gauges are done, whole possess took about an hour. Excluding removal of the cluster. Now I’m going to take my time cleaning the whole cluster housing. Hope this helps.

here are the before pics

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Khyron

Here are the after. again, the instructions provided are extremely easy to read and very clear, this is not a substitute, but just to show you if a moron like me can do this <o.k. so I have a bubble in the fuel gauge> then anyone can ;)

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

DC_1

Just 6T9 CHGR

Great write up but I hope you didnt skip the step where you have to spray the old faces with semi gloss paint.....

The tell tale sign of a decal kit is aroud the odometer.......
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

gochar

I went to the performance car graphics website and didn't see the graphics for speedometer and guages sold for 69 charger.  Do they sell them so I can install them?

DC_1

just gove them a call....i just got mone today......they look great.......can't wait to start the referb!

Khyron, what did you do to clean up your odometer?......is it discolored from the new faces?

MadScientist

Great Job!  OK so do you have to paint the faces every time or just in the case of rusty, nasty ones?  Also, how do you go about polishing the lenses?  I need to get better at working with plastics.....

MS

Plumcrazy

Quote from: Khyron on January 01, 2006, 10:29:42 PM
This is the Reface kit from Performance Car Graphics. This is not ment to replace the enclosed directions at all. But just a pointer to anyone who thinks the want to do it. So you know what your in for. This took about 1 hour and 3 beers :D

I just ordered that kit :yesnod:
Uh...........were those 12 or 16 ounce beers?  ;D

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Khyron

Quote from: Sydmoe on January 16, 2006, 06:02:04 PM
Khyron, what did you do to clean up your odometer?......is it discolored from the new faces?

I didn't unfortunately. They seemed nice and clean so I didn't even think about it.

Quote from: gochar on January 16, 2006, 01:19:27 PM
I went to the performance car graphics website and didn't see the graphics for speedometer and gauges sold for 69 charger. Do they sell them so I can install them?

http://205.200.235.19/pcg/cluster6870b.htm
It's best to call as well

Quote from: MadScientist on January 28, 2006, 12:47:14 AM
Great Job! OK so do you have to paint the faces every time or just in the case of rusty, nasty ones? Also, how do you go about polishing the lenses? I need to get better at working with plastics.....

Polishing the lenses would be a fine sandpaper and plastic polish. I don't remember what grain of sand paper to be sure. I also responded to your PM ;)
As for painting. I would do it just to be safe. My gauges were spotless so I didn't. Maybe I'll regret it. But the Speedo I did. Just forgot to post that up :(
Quote from: Plumcrazy on February 04, 2006, 10:52:25 AM
Quote from: Khyron on January 01, 2006, 10:29:42 PM

I just ordered that kit :yesnod:
Uh...........were those 12 or 16 ounce beers? ;D

16 of course ;)

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

472 R/T SE

Nice job.  Looks like you got lucky and your odometer number's didn't yellow too bad. 
A restored cluster is the single most important for the interior.  Looking at one done makes the drive that much better.  After I did my first one I couldn't believe I waited so long.  That and a wiper motor restore really wake their areas up.

Speaking of alternator, are you bypassing yours and running a separate one?

Khyron

Quote from: AllBlueRT on February 14, 2006, 04:47:42 PM
Speaking of alternator, are you bypassing yours and running a separate one?

I don't think I understand? am I bypassing the gauge?

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

472 R/T SE

Sorry I took so long to get back.  I knew there was a good link and our very own JUST CHRIS' RT.....sent me this link:

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

Plumcrazy

Quote from: AllBlueRT on February 18, 2006, 09:29:10 AM
Sorry I took so long to get back.  I knew there was a good link and our very own JUST CHRIS' RT.....sent me this link:

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

I've read that, it's good info.  But personally a little maintenance eliminates the cause of the problem.

Once a year I carefully unplug the bulkhead connectors, give them a shot of electrical contact cleaner and reconnect them.

Khyron

ahhh, I see, hmm, first I ever saw that. I'll read that and see what I need to do, so far the electrical on my car is great, But some PM is always good :)

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

DC_1

OK.....i finally pulled the cluster and i am starting to take it apart and clean it. For those who have done this I still have a question about what you did to renew a yellowed odometer lettering. I haven't started to clean it but when I do have any of you had good results with any particular product for the odometer? or any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Plumcrazy

Quote from: Sydmoe on April 15, 2006, 09:07:20 PM
OK.....i finally pulled the cluster and i am starting to take it apart and clean it. For those who have done this I still have a question about what you did to renew a yellowed odometer lettering. I haven't started to clean it but when I do have any of you had good results with any particular product for the odometer? or any other recommendations would be appreciated.

There are companies that renumber them but I don't know of a product that you can use at home to whiten the numbers other than maybe some type of multipurpose cleaner like 409 or equivalent