News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone used Eastwood's single stage paint?

Started by b5blue, March 02, 2011, 07:22:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

I'm thinking of "testing" it out on my Cherokee. (While I learn) They have a color close to b5 blue (GM shade for 70) I could use later just to get some topcoat on sections of the Charger as I repair the body. Ideas? (I don't really know squat about painting.)  :shruggy:

jaak

On several body and paint forums I hang around at, everyone claims that Eastwood and Summit brand paints are re-labeled "Kirker" brand.
I have used kirker before on cheaper projects, and for a cheaper paint, its pretty good. I have used both Dupont's and PPG's cheaper lines (Nason and Omni), and for the money Kirker is a better paint.....coverage was ALOT better, OMNI is like shooting water. The only thing with Kirker, its all prepackaged colors, can't have a color mixed. You can go to  http://www.smartshoppersinc.com/kirker/paints.html to look at the color charts and prices, which you will find is cheaper than Eastwoods or Summit's.

With single stage urethane, it mixes 3:1. They sell 3/4 gallon of paint and a quart of activator, so you have a sprayable gallon if no reducer is added (tech sheet says it can be reduced up to 25% if needed).

Hope this helps,
Jason

b5blue

jaak

Dug up a couple of pics of some blue kirker I used.....

b5blue

Hey Looks SHARP! Nice blue.  :2thumbs: This stuff would overcoat later with better paint OK?  :scratchchin:

jaak

Neal,
I just went back and read your original post, and noticed you just wanted to do sections at a time. My advise would be just to use a good epoxy primer, its not porous like filler primers. When it comes time to finish/paint, you just scuff up the epoxy, then spray on high build primer and start the priming blocking process, then paint. I think it would sort of be a waste to paint, then turn around and paint again with a more expensive paint, not to mention any compatibilty issues you might run in to. That being said, I still think kirker would be a good paint to use on your Cherokee to practice and get the feel for painting. Just my  :Twocents:

Good luck,
Jason

b5blue

Thank you Jason, the Jeep is going to be a whole car deal paint job. There pricing is almost too good to be true on that sight!  :2thumbs: I'll keep ya posted as I've finished mech. repairs and am putting it "on the road" next week. I found 2 more rust holes to fix yesterday under the wipers trim panel. I guess the epoxy primer will be first order of business.  :yesnod:

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

b5blue