News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

70 unibody gets new metal

Started by Domino, March 30, 2011, 12:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Domino

So I put together a summary of progress I've made on my '70 since I started stripping it down in the middle of last summer.  
Background: I got it on the road 10 years ago with an engine overhaul, front end bushings, alignment, wheels and tires, and a few coats of satin black.  I've been wanting to do it right ever since.

But a few things had to come first: college, marry the girlfriend that will lube up pistons and also build her a house, get her pregnant, all that stuff...but the most important precursor was building a shop: So doing it "right" actually started 2 summers ago...

Now to the car:
1970 Charger 500, 383 2bbl, Auto, light green metallic, black top and interior.  Earlier I put "right" in quotes so that no one reads that as "correct", which is entirely different.  This car will not be done correct and but will be done right.  After watching desert car kings last night, I can't even mention the "restore" word, it no longer has any meaning!

That's the car to start with.  But in my mind, before I could do it right I also needed a rotisserie.  So after some internet research, a trip to the metal liquidators, plus salvaging an old golf cart, I was on my way....

So I stripped the car 100%, bagging, tagging and taking hundreds of digital photos.  I also inventoried the parts in a filing cabinet by drawer for later retrieval.  Listed all missing non-repop parts, virtually all of which I've already purchased with the help of this forum.
Body lifted off the drivetrain/front suspension.  Just made a simple cart with moving dollies and scrap lumber.

Undercoating removed at this point with propane torch, putty knife and respirator.

Domino

Now on to media blasting:
No doubt it's a subject that folks get fairly emotional over for many reasons.  This topic has filled and /or highjacked many threads, I know cause I read most of them.  Ford, chebby, Mopar, it doesn't matter, I've wandered onto most of them and I don't want to go into all the opinions, just my opinions!
IMO, I have a pretty good handle on it, and even used it in industry for aerospace parts.  IMO, with the right equipment, a little practice, distant neighbors and good safety precautions this doesn't require a professional.  IMO, there's real value in blasting at various stages throughout the process.  Also, IMO soda blasting is for boats!  
My setup: borrowed tow behind diesel air compressor (~200 cfm, @ 90 psi), basic pressure pot and blaster setup with large hoses and nozzle, fine coal slag media (black beauty). Some tarps,  metal fence stakes, buckets, and window screen to reclaim and sift media.  Nova 2000 fresh air hood powered by an oilless electric compressor placed indoors.  
No, warping was not an issue, not even the roof.  You have to hit at an angle, like skipping a rock on water.  This will strip the paint and rust without imparting too much energy into the metal.  Also, the fines in reused media seems to clean out rust pits better than new stuff, so I started blasting with a mix of old and new media.

Most of the bad stuff stripped off

Pile of cancer

Another round of blasting to clean things up inside the nooks.

The rocker under the quarter is pretty rough where the wheel well was rotted out, but the rest under the door looks ok, so I took some measurements and angles and made pieces for both sides. Cut out the old and blasted again inside there.  Using weld through primer or cold galvanizing paint on the fresh metal throughout the project,

The quarters weld to some raised pads on the underside that allow water to drain out, and the curvature transitions to the rocker profile up near the door jamb.

Domino

Sail panels.  I made templates of the curvatures along the window glass and the deck filler panel seam to work the new patches back to.

Drilled alignment holes through the pinch welds before pulling out this support, then used sheet metal screws back through those holes before welding it back in.

The left side wasn't as bad, just bend some stock 90 and 120, and hand made the curvature snipping relief cuts and welding them up.  Used original templates to match curvatures.

Some other patches

Test fitting the entire rear with clamps and screws before any welding.

The trunk.  Plenty of bumps, bruises and burns getting it back to this point.

Joining the trunk to trunk extensions

Almost ready for quarters, still needs cold galv sprayed inside

I don't own a jack for the car, but I did transfer all the proper jack brackets in the trunk.

Tacking the quarters.     Patience is the key, lots of beer breaks to cool down.

This is a challenging hurdle in the project, but it went really well.  Figure I'll leadless this joint and any others on the body to guard against pin holes.

The valance extensions are notorious for needing adjustment.  This car was no exception; they just would not fit out of the box no matter how I clamped it.  Had to slice them, work 'em in and weld the seam.  The gaps are great...they're fitting perfect now.

A few loose ends underneath the rear: gas tank mounts and a 2nd exhaust hanger that I made from scratch.  Hard to see, but it's a mirror image of the other side, so I just cut templates and reversed them.  This was actually bolted in from the factory, but some plug welds will do for me.

Domino

Moving on to the center section of the car, here's my fwd leaf spring bracket that came in contact with a curb or something.

The new one fit nice.  I took about 1000 measurements in placing this one

The transmission cross member was only bad on the ends so I made some repair sections.

I blasted inside the frames here and added cold galv.  Note the new internal braces where the front frame mates to the X-member.

Note the little dip for the E-Brake cable and the speedo cable clip.

I needed some new jamb wire covers.  Holy cow, these are $100 a set of 4!  Since my rears were fine, I just made the fronts.

Here they are installed over new front ½ pans.

No before pic, but this little area was a pain to work in.

And then there's the PSGR side rocker, which was fine on the outside but had a large mouse nest inside and that had caused some deep pits from the inside.  Luckily, I caught this when I cut inspection holes on the inner rocker and patched up where I fixed the X-member.  It was only on the horizontal part down near the pinch weld, but extended most of the length.  So I had a 54"+ piece bent locally
Problem is it has these angled drain holes, so I recreated those at the proper spacing.  Note the edge of the new piece is flanged with little snipped tabs that nestle it into the edge of the rocker and keep it spaced correctly.

The final product:

So that's about it for the unibody metal repairs.  Next I'm starting on subframes and torque boxes.  I also rebuilt my hinges.  When the weather gets nice, I'll start blasting panels and instal those to do gap alignment and any repairs.

BananaDan

*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

chargd72

That charger is lucky to have you.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

tan top

:scope:  thats some real nice metal work going on there Dude  :yesnod:   thanks for sharing the pictures  :cheers:   keep them coming !! love looking at this kind of stuff  :yesnod: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

westcoastdodge

wow nice craftmenship going on there :yesnod:
I don't care what is is designed to do,I want to know what it can do.
Gene Kranz

BananaDan

Quote from: tan top on March 30, 2011, 02:05:24 PM
:scope:  thats some real nice metal work going on there Dude  :yesnod:   thanks for sharing the pictures  :cheers:   keep them coming !! love looking at this kind of stuff  :yesnod: :popcrn:
:iagree:  :popcrn:  :popcrn:

Love watching threads like this when a real craftsman is at the helm, keep the pics coming.  Ditto also to the other comment.  That Charger is lucky to be in your care. 

Dan
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

Patronus

'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

twodko

I remember the shop build thread........just a disgusting display of newshopness! Dream shop is what that is uh huh!
Your metal work showcases your journeyman mettle. (sorry, couldn't resist that). If the waste ever hits the oscillating device you could payoff your mortgage by selling all your clamps. You da man!
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

jaak

Awesome work,  :2thumbs: keep it up!

Jason

vancamp

BIGBLCK11

:cheers: Excellent fabrication!  I wish I had that shop.  Do you have plans for what color, down the road?

Charger-Bodie

Very nice metal work!! You should be very proud.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

4cruzin

Wow nice job!  That is looking awesome!   :cheers:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

HOTROD

Dam thats some good work  :cheers: :2thumbs:  :notworthy: !!
What the Hell-Dumass !

NorwayCharger

Nice work!, keep those pic´s commin....
AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

Domino

Quote from: BIGBLCK11 on March 30, 2011, 08:45:49 PM
:cheers: Excellent fabrication!  I wish I had that shop.  Do you have plans for what color, down the road?

Color? Not sure just yet...

Also, I appreciate the kudos from everyone.

Domino

Quote from: twodko on March 30, 2011, 07:14:41 PM
If the waste ever hits the oscillating device you could payoff your mortgage by selling all your clamps.

Nah, I must admit that most of those locking pliers are cheap imports...went for qty over quality.
The ones with red handles are junk, but the others are actually still working well.
http://www.dpciwholesale.com/Locking-Pliers/

Stormin

Outstanding craftsmanship!!!

Norm

69rtse4spd

Silver R/T

that is some serious fab skills
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Benji

Really lookin good.  PLEASE keep us updated on your progress.

Benji

Matthan