News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dash Removal Help?

Started by 440, April 25, 2011, 10:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm pondering removing the dash from my 69 Charger and unfortunately the car is complete.

Does the windshield need to be removed for dash removal ?

Anyone have an exploded diagram ?

Thanks,
   RJ

Domino

FLG

I think you can remove it with the windsheild on but its going to be a pain in the arse, if you do some searches there are plenty of threads on the matter.

BananaDan

Everyone I have spoken with have said the windshield has to come out to get the dash out.  You might be able to do it leaving the windshield in, but you may have to use a sawzall.    :lol:  As for diagrams, the Service Manuals have really good diagrams and pictures of the dash frames from a behind view.  I've been using them for my resto to properly route the dash harness and install the relays in the proper spots and such.

Dan
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

squeakfinder

I think the bolts on the inside of the bottom of the windshield would be difficult to remove with the glass still installed.  
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

:eek2: That's what I was afraid of.

Maybe I'll save that project for another day

doctor4766

Quote from: 440 on April 25, 2011, 08:10:48 PM
:eek2: That's what I was afraid of.

Maybe I'll save that project for another day
What's it need to come out for?

Just had a look at mine and like said, you cant remove the top bolts with the windshield rubber over the top of them. Not just difficult but I'd say impossible.
Gotta love a '69

elacruze

I took the dash out of my R/T with the windshield in in 1984 (I was 23) and I'd not do it that way again.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

It needs to come out to be repainted/ re dyed.... I got my new dash pad and need to take the cluster out to send off to be restored, so I figured now is as good as any. If the windscreen has to come out then I think I'll wait...

BananaDan

I am in the middle of restoring my interior and I left mine in because I just had my windshield replaced a few years ago.  When you get the interior gutted, or if you're not doing a gut restore, at least remove your front seats, dash bezels/panels and dash pads and glove box.  Get in there with a vacuum and suck out all of the crap that is laying in the horizontal surfaces in your dash frame.  Then clean it up real good with your favorite cleaner.  You can then get a roll of auto paint masking plastic in rolls.  Just cover everything with plastic that's in the front area of your car. I went to an auto body store and bought a 24 foot roll for like 15 bucks.  Once everything is covered and protected, lay a few coats of SEM Trim Black on the dash frame.  The stuff flashes in less than 5 minutes and is dry to the touch in less than 10.  You can easily get 3 coats done in 30-40 minutes.  The masking time is going to be the most time consuming, but you're talking about a weekend project versus many many weekends of a complete dash restore.  I guess it depends on what state your dash frame is in currently.   :Twocents:

Dan

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

doctor4766

Quote from: 440 on April 25, 2011, 09:32:54 PM
It needs to come out to be repainted/ re dyed.... I got my new dash pad and need to take the cluster out to send off to be restored, so I figured now is as good as any. If the windscreen has to come out then I think I'll wait...

When you're ready to have the windscreen removed I'll put you onto someone in Adelaide.
Gotta love a '69

The dash itself is in great shape, like someone had previously restored it, however, it doesn't match the rest of the car and it bugs me. The interior has also been reupholstered so everything else is like new.

I suppose a quick spray job on the frame and top panel would suffice till I'm ready to do a complete restoration. I just hate doing things in halves if I know I'm going to have to do it again.

I just got the cluster out and the dash removal looks easier than I thought regarding the frame and padded pieces etc, however, I do see the screws that are hiding under the windshield rubber.

Should sealant be used where the frame meets the firewall ?

doctor4766

Wouldn't have thought so. But I could be wrong.
The correct sealing of the rubber to body and rubber to glass should eliminate the need for that.
I see where you're coming from though.
Gotta love a '69

That's what I thought but it appears someone used sealant on this one, you can see it around the screw etc..

BananaDan

That's a good lookin' cluster.  If you have to spray the top of the dash, then forget my idea.  I thought you only wanted to paint the frame (driver facing and floor facing areas).  I was lucky and the body shop painted the top of mine for me when they had the windshield out.

Dan

My cluster will be going off to Instrument Specialties like yours Dan. The regulator got wiped out and killed a few of the gauges :'( I will be upgrading the clock with a Tic-Toc-Tac and an Evans wiring harness.

I suppose I'm this far I might as well just pull the dash, steering column, windshield and paint everything. I have a bunch of other stuff to be sent off to be dyed so might as well send the pads and vinyl bits off too... Do it once and do it right...

I wish BE&A did kick panels, I noticed one of mine has a small corner chipped off, only noticed it while pulling the dash vent out  

BananaDan

If you have EI, make sure you tell them so they can upgrade your tach for EI also.  You also have a choice with the ammeter.  I left mine as an ammeter, but some people have it converted to a voltmeter, with either a voltmeter face, or an ammeter face.

I have the Mopar EI. Mine just says Alternator so I suppose it's a ammeter as it says -40 -20 0 +20 +40. I'd rather have whatever is stock but I have a high output alternator. Voltmeter would be more beneficial I'd say though.

The Charger Specialties Tachs are modernized so that wont be a problem.

Where does everyone get the penstar decal for the vin tag as mine is nearly rubbed off?

Also, Are the sliding knobs for the heater/ac controls available as Repro ?

doctor4766

WHat's the go with having a tach that isn't set up for EI?
Gotta love a '69

Your up late  :lol: I guess for a points ignition set up...

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: FLG on April 25, 2011, 02:15:04 PM
I think you can remove it with the windsheild on but its going to be a pain in the arse, if you do some searches there are plenty of threads on the matter.

not on 1st and 2nd gens, yes on 3rd gens
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on April 26, 2011, 09:50:44 AM
Quote from: FLG on April 25, 2011, 02:15:04 PM

not on 1st and 2nd gens, yes on 3rd gens

How do you get the screws in question out under the rubber gasket Nacho ?

Nacho-RT74

3rd gens are not under the rubber ( in fact, glasses on 3rd gens are not attached with rubber weatherstrip, 3m strip and sealant instead, or urethane if "upgraded" or replaced ), so they are posible to remove with windshield in place. Bolts are just right below the glass lip on some locations what don't disturb with glass mounting

1st and 2nd gens are mandatory remove the windshield because the dash frame is bolted just right on the glass lip channel
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

BananaDan

Quote from: doctor4766 on April 26, 2011, 09:24:15 AM
WHat's the go with having a tach that isn't set up for EI?
I was told if you have a non-EI modified tach with a car that has been upgraded to EI the tach won't be accurate.  I don't know the nitty gritty technical reason of the tach internals for why that is, but it's one of the questions Instrument Specialties ran me through when we scoped out the job.  They asked me if I wanted the clock upgrade to quartz movement which I did, they asked me if I had EI, which I do and they asked me if I wanted to keep the ammeter as an ammeter which I did.  They also ask what you want the odometer set to.  I got her back from body and engine/mechanical resto last September and put about 200-225 miles on her before putting her away for the winter so I had them set the odometer to 200 miles to reflect her rebirth.

Dan