News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Seat Foam Question

Started by Orange Bird, May 08, 2011, 08:43:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orange Bird

I am in the process to put the rear seats on my schedule for new upholstery. I have ordered new burlap and was curious how thick the rear seat foam is as I want to replace it for that new look/feel. I would like to know density and thickness if someone knows as I have not seen any replacements for the rear offered from the restoration companies, at least last time I looked.

Its for a 70 RR
Thanks.
Monster Garage Montra - If you can't hear it before you see it, what's the point?

Leave the little people alone!

squeakfinder

Have you tried calling Legendary? I can't remember for sure, it seems like it was about 3 and half inches thick. But I'm sure Legendary was the place I called when I had the same question.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

mopar0166

legendary hooked me up, classic industires is backordered for like 2 months

squeakfinder

That's strange it would be backordered anywhere. It's just plain old square foam, I would think Legendary could say what the dimensions are. And then it could be purchased somewhere else close to avoid shipping cost if necessary.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

jaak

Quote from: squeakfinder on May 08, 2011, 08:47:03 PM
   That's strange it would be backordered anywhere. It's just plain old square foam, I would think Legendary could say what the dimensions are. And then it could be purchased somewhere else close to avoid shipping cost if necessary.
:iagree: The rear seat foam is not molded, just a flat piece of foam...should be able to pick up at any local upholstery shop. Sorry I don't know how thick it is though, need to find that out myself also.

Jason

sixty8charger

How thick is the foam?  I've been looking at foams on Amazon.  About to rebuild my 68s interior.
Jayson

b5blue

1 1/2 inch high density foam for seat bottom. 3 layers of cotton for seat back. I just did my 70 Charger rear seat with supplies from Legendary. You Tube has video showing how. 

Bronzedodge

Link for that?   I'm installing my replacement buttons on my 69 Charger seat soon.  I'm either going to replace the foam or pad it up a bit with felt.  Anyone have an opinion on the replacement seat foam?
Mopar forever!

Ghoste

That density part is an important thing, it isnt just enough to buy the right thickness.

b5blue

Yup just why I bought all the stuff right from Legendary.

Alaskan_TA

Save yourself some money.

You can buy foam at most fabric stores in regular & high density.

When you take you seat apart, check the thickness of your foam.

It does compress over time, so buy some no more than 1/4" thicker.

Lay your old foam on top of the new & trace the edges, then cut it out with heavy duty scissors.

You can also mark where the muslin needs to be glued to it for attaching to the seat frame.

DanielRobert

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on February 22, 2018, 06:39:37 AM
Save yourself some money.

You can buy foam at most fabric stores in regular & high density.

When you take you seat apart, check the thickness of your foam.

It does compress over time, so buy some no more than 1/4" thicker.

Lay your old foam on top of the new & trace the edges, then cut it out with heavy duty scissors.

You can also mark where the muslin needs to be glued to it for attaching to the seat frame.
You'll have a hard time cutting the foam with scissors, but  your wifes electric turkey carver will slice right through it. Absolutely need to use high "resiliency" foam( you need high resiliency and high density)....go to an upholstery supply shop and ask for something like a 3050 foam or so....they'll know what your looking for.
1972 Charger
1969 Roadrunner
1974 Trans Am

Alaskan_TA

I use scissors a lot, not an issue for me.  :shruggy: