News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Uh oh! Holley clear sight plugs?

Started by Troy, May 30, 2011, 11:08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

So I was tracking this little "hiccup" when I stomp the gas (fixed the humongous bog!) in my Challenger 440 Six Pack clone. I had read that the fuel level should be about midway up the hole to keep from starving the engine and burning a piston when it goes lean. The best way to do this was using the clear plugs so I got some. Well, I got everything tuned and when I pulled the plugs out to swap the brass plugs back in I noticed the clear plugs had broken and the ends were missing. I'm positive these are now floating around in my fuel bowls and the car will stall at idle frequently now. I figured I could pull off the bowls but my fuel lines appear to be stuck tight and I can't seem to get anything to come apart. I tried PB Blaster to see if I could "unstick" them but that didn't seem to work. Other than mangling or cutting them (a new line is only $50), is there a trick to getting this apart so I can fix another self-inflicted problem?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

charger Downunder

Those six pack lines are a bugger to undo. Make sure you use a pipe spanner on them, i find that giving it a quick tap with a hammer brakes them loose. I  would buy a spare set of fuel lines before proceeding don't over tighten them when you put them back on. As for the Holley site plugs i have them on mine and they haven't broken. You may have over tightened them which is easy to do. I found middle carb just dribbling out of site hole. Front and rear carb just above site hole.
[/quote]

Charger´69

That same thing happened to me also with my new Holley Street Avenger 770cfm  :fireangry: Those plugs just dropped off, I had to use needle to screw ends off from carb. Mine didn´t fall into fuel bowls. I wonder how could this happen, because I didn´t overtight those I think because I knew those broke easily.. Well I learned that I won´t never use those again, what a poor quality  :brickwall:
Plymouth Fury "Christine's Sister" 4x4 6-71 1959
Dodge Charger R/T 440cid 1969
Pontiac Trans Am T-top SuperBandit 400cid 1978
Jeep Cherokee Renegade 4x4 3.7 2006

Troy

Quote from: charger Downunder on May 31, 2011, 04:56:51 AM
Those six pack lines are a bugger to undo. Make sure you use a pipe spanner on them, i find that giving it a quick tap with a hammer brakes them loose. I  would buy a spare set of fuel lines before proceeding don't over tighten them when you put them back on. As for the Holley site plugs i have them on mine and they haven't broken. You may have over tightened them which is easy to do. I found middle carb just dribbling out of site hole. Front and rear carb just above site hole.
I have line wrenches so I don't strip them out. However, the fuel line itself is spinning and not the fitting so if I go too far it will just twist. I tried hitting it with a hammer but it didn't budge. The fittings on the carbs themselves are blocked so I can only get a wrench on the front carb. Maybe I'll try undoing the lines at the 'T' fittings first? No matter, I have new lines and gaskets on the way for when I do manage to break something.

Quote from: Charger´69 on May 31, 2011, 06:08:49 AM
That same thing happened to me also with my new Holley Street Avenger 770cfm  :fireangry: Those plugs just dropped off, I had to use needle to screw ends off from carb. Mine didn´t fall into fuel bowls. I wonder how could this happen, because I didn´t overtight those I think because I knew those broke easily.. Well I learned that I won´t never use those again, what a poor quality  :brickwall:
My brass plugs fit very tightly and only have about 3 threads. These had about 7-8 threads and an o-ring. I just snugged them up but they were leaking a bit so I gave them another half twist and it dried out. I never heard anything to signal them breaking. There was nothing left in the hole when I removed them.

Quote from: terrible one on May 31, 2011, 11:40:23 AM
Maybe they can't stand up to the ethanol :shruggy:
No ethanol here. Besides, the end is jagged where it is broken. The plugs weren't on the car more than 20 minutes either. Some guys leave them on there permanently.

I'll try again later this afternoon I guess. Hopefully I can get the rear bowl off without having to remove the carb - but I doubt it.

Troy

terrible one

Quote from: Troy on May 31, 2011, 02:27:07 PM

Quote from: terrible one on May 31, 2011, 11:40:23 AM
Maybe they can't stand up to the ethanol :shruggy:
No ethanol here. Besides, the end is jagged where it is broken. The plugs weren't on the car more than 20 minutes either. Some guys leave them on there permanently.

I'll try again later this afternoon I guess. Hopefully I can get the rear bowl off without having to remove the carb - but I doubt it.

Troy

Luck you! :coolgleamA:

20 minutes and toast though! Scary. Makes it even more of a mystery though  :scratchchin:

charger Downunder

Those fuel fitting on the carb are hard to get to i ground down a spanner on the grinder to make a home made tool.
[/quote]

Troy

Well, I got everything apart, I found a gooey glob of something in the front carb but nothing at all in the back carb.

Didn't need the new lines I ordered and some of the gaskets were incorrect so that was a waste of about $70 overall.

Troy

b5blue

Thanks for posting this.....I will NOT be using them now!  :eek2:

Paul G

Those plugs are a real POS! I had a set that broke off in the hole as well. I was lucky enough to get the broken pieces out of the carb. The 3310 I had on my 73 had glass sight plugs in it. They stayed in all the time just like the brass plugs do.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

b5blue

What lines did you get Troy? I may need some new ones and buy them off ya. P.M. me.... :2thumbs:

mauve66

i had the clear plugs on mine for about 4 years of driving and never had a problem
i do wish someone with skills would come up with a better substitute for those fuel lines thought.............. :brickwall:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

ACUDANUT

I had clear "view plugs" also. I tried to unscrew them and they broke off...I had to pull the carb, take it halfway apart and used alittle heat and they came out with no problem...Everything is made in China these days and it all sucks...All I had to do was buy new carb gaskets from O'reilly's and I was back in business.

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: mauve66 on June 17, 2011, 07:06:11 PM
i do wish someone with skills would come up with a better substitute for those fuel lines thought.............. :brickwall:

Someone out there makes a pretty neat looking AN set up for six pack cars...   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Al

If I'm not mistaken, Holley recommends to use them only for the purpose of adjusting the fuel bowls i.e. only for a short time, apparently they are not meant for long time use.
1968 Dodge Charger, 383, UU1

Troy

Yeah, I had them in there for 20-30 minutes. I have seen where other people have left them in permanently.

Troy

Budnicks

Holley HP sells some (like $25 per pair)that have a brass/bronze shield for lack of a better word that surrounds them & has a glass site....At least they use to sell them, I got mine directly from Holley many years ago, I no longer have them or I would post a photo... :brickwall: it's not that tough to set the float  level with the hole open, then just put the brass/bronze plugs back in.... :Twocents: just keep a cup or rag under it untill your done then wipe up excess fuel... good luck.
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Budnicks

Quote from: Budnicks on June 19, 2011, 01:58:57 PM
Holley HP sells some (like $25 per pair)that have a brass/bronze shield for lack of a better word that surrounds them & has a glass site....At least they use to sell them, I got mine directly from Holley many years ago, I no longer have them or I would post a photo... it's not that tough to set the float  level with the hole open, then just put the brass/bronze plugs back in.... :Twocents: just keep a cup or rag under it untill your done then wipe up excess fuel... good luck.

Troy

Quote from: Budnicks on June 19, 2011, 01:58:57 PM
Holley HP sells some (like $25 per pair)that have a brass/bronze shield for lack of a better word that surrounds them & has a glass site....At least they use to sell them, I got mine directly from Holley many years ago, I no longer have them or I would post a photo... :brickwall: it's not that tough to set the float  level with the hole open, then just put the brass/bronze plugs back in.... :Twocents: just keep a cup or rag under it untill your done then wipe up excess fuel... good luck.
That's what I've been doing. I had hoped the clear plugs would make the job easier but instead I just ended up with a bunch of problems. I'd be interested in the brass/glass ones if they're available but, for now, I'll leave everything alone.

Troy

mauve66

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on June 18, 2011, 03:26:41 AM
Quote from: mauve66 on June 17, 2011, 07:06:11 PM

Someone out there makes a pretty neat looking AN set up for six pack cars...   

.......................................... :popcrn:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

1969chargerrtse

Help me here please.  I read the whole thread and have no idea what these glass or see through plugs are?  :shruggy:
Info and pics .   :icon_smile_big:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Troy

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on June 21, 2011, 07:24:22 PM
Help me here please.  I read the whole thread and have no idea what these glass or see through plugs are?  :shruggy:
Info and pics .   :icon_smile_big:
They replace the brass plugs on the side of the carb. Normally you remove the plug to see how high the fuel level is - basically the height of the float.
http://www.holley.com/26-113.asp

Troy

Budnicks

There are some at Summit Racing, search  "Holley fuel bowl sight plugs", They don't look the same as the old brass/bronze ones I used in the past, Holley # 26-112  $24.99 each "yep each" that's what is listed ,  caution; There is a note on the part "that is to be used with their aftermarket bowls" , but the "check applications"  shows they will work on most, 2300, 1450, 1460 & others so... "I don't know for sure on the app's" but they are metal with a glass sight in them & are for Holley fuel bowl sight plugs.....

Troy

Budnicks

Yep that's what I was thinking about the apps. It good to know there are cheaper ways to get them $75 for 3 sight plugs on a 6bbl/6pac set up is ridiculous, unless you have to have them, $18 each is a little better... I'm pretty sure the sight plugs are the same size on all of the Holley bowls, Do not know that for a fact though, seems many different things have been made, sense I had mine years ago... I was thinking the Dominator's had a larger sight plug, but I can't remember & don't have any lying around to check...