News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Uh oh! Holley clear sight plugs?

Started by Troy, May 30, 2011, 11:08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

I'd only need 2 - the center bowl level is supposed to be just even with the hole. The tuning guides that I read for the Six Pack say the outboards should be about half way up to keep from starving the engine at full throttle. Measuring half way is a pain if you have the plug out completely! Those plugs may be "replacement parts" for the aftermarket bowls. I should cross-reference the plastic plugs to see if they fit the same bowls. I really doubt the sizes are different but you never know.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

charger Downunder

I have had the Holley clear plugs in my car for three years now no problems. Maybe the fuel is different, i don't use fuel with ethanol or methanol.
[/quote]

Troy

Once again, the end (of the threaded portion) broke off on both of them. Other than that, I thought they were pretty great at helping to set the float level...

Troy

70sixpkrt

Troy did you fix the problem? Also raising the fuel level to half way up clear the other problem and what problem was that?

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

b5blue

I'm thinking of buying two extra brass plugs and drilling a small hole in the center to do the adjusting with.... :scratchchin:

Troy

Quote from: 70sixpkrt on July 09, 2011, 01:04:24 PM
Troy did you fix the problem? Also raising the fuel level to half way up clear the other problem and what problem was that?
Yes. I am not quite sure what the problem was - other than a combination of flaky electrical components, an exhaust leak, and improper settings on the timing and fuel.

However, on my car, I have determined that setting the outboard float levels to the middle of the window is a bad idea. I can't get it to idle right - but it would boil the tires at just about any RPM in the first three gears. In all the tutorials I read it stated that you need control of the idle on the center carb before anything else will work right and mine wouldn't "clear up" until I turned the float levels down (basically to where the factory set them). I went back again to review the one that said to set them midway and it is geared more for max performance. It probably works great when blasting down the track with a big cam and headers (to keep it from momentarily running lean) - not so much on my stock engine cruising down the back roads. Currently my outboards will "weep" steadily if I pull the plugs but not pour gas all over everything. I have not touched the outboard idle screws. I now seem to have a new problem which feels a lot like gunk in one of the carbs (stumble on "tip in" while on the highway). I never did find what was left of the sight plugs so maybe it's been hidden somewhere and I'll forever have an intermittent stumble...

So, in short, remember to keep checking for adjustability of the center carb idle screws while messing with the outboard float levels. The outboards are active on the idle circuit and it's easy to flood things. It's pointless to tune the carbs if there are other problems because you need the right vacuum signal and a strong spark first.

Troy

b5blue

Troy I can relate to what your saying as I've followed a similar path of chasing gremlins. You may have sucked a chunk of that clear plug up in your metering block. My engine just loves having vacuum advance working and the transition out of vacuum into centrifugal is so tricky I left it to FBO to set.  :2thumbs: 

Troy

So here we go again... :eyes: I have no idea if this is the same problem or a new problem. I upgraded the ignition over the winter and now the car won't start - no gas. I removed the sight plugs and all 3 carbs are empty. I've cranked and cranked but there's no fuel. Yes, there's gas - I park the cars for the winter with full tanks. I pulled the fuel pump and only a tiny bit even leaked out. The fuel pump rod is slightly over 3 1/4" and not mushroomed. The pump is stock looking (ie not an after market or incorrect replacement) and feels tight. I never had a chance to do a pressure test and I only read about doing a vacuum test after I had it off. Whoops! Some of the hoses look kind of old but none have cracks or look like they are leaking. It didn't seem like any had collapsed. I removed the filler cap and didn't notice any pressure/vacuum.

I have read that the newer gas has a habit of evaporating out of the system and, sometimes, the pump doesn't draw enough vacuum (under cranking?) to pull fuel all the way from the tank without being primed. It seems like the common fix is to use an auxiliary electric pump for priming (and possibly WOT passes). If the pump doesn't have enough suction could it be contributing to my backfiring problem as well?

I had also been told that the distributor could be at fault. There's no vacuum advance so the theory was that the mechanical weights could stick and #5 and #7 were cross firing at high RPM. I pulled that apart and didn't find any binding or see any tracking in the cap.

Troy

b5blue

Troy I let my car sit for about 5-6 mo. early last year while I farted around with my six-pack rebuild. My less than 18 mo. old Carter M4845 quit on me. From experience the first thing I recommend is siphon fuel right to the pumps input (Anyway you want, I have a suction gun about the size of a grease gun from Harbor Freight that works great.) and undo any of the pumps outputs. Attach a rubber hose and run it to a can or jar and crank it over. You should get plenty of fuel surging in less than 30 seconds. If you don't replace the pump.
  I farted around, certain the pump must be good for 2 weekends trying Quick-Start and slopping fuel thinking the system lost prime or something. Popping and gasping, revving up and dieing on me, recharging the battery and pulling my hair out only to find it was just the pump!  :brickwall: Lesson learned, now I keep a brand new M4845 in stock at all times! (Because I've found sometimes when you need one everyone's out of them!)

Troy

Thanks, I'll have to reinstall it to test though. ;) I'll put it back together this week and run some test. I may get another pump ordered just to have a spare (in case this one isn't bad). It's been 80 and sunny for the last few days and it irks me that I can't get the car more than a couple miles from the house without something acting up.

Troy

b5blue

I run the car every week now come hell or high water!  :yesnod:   (It's good for my head anyway...)

Paul G

Last time I had the Holley apart I could not get enough fuel flow out of the pump to fill the bowls just by cranking. I am using a mechanical fuel pump. I filled the float bowls by pouring gas in through the vent, and spilled a little down the the throat of the carb as well. The engine started right up, ran at fast idle for a minutes. Long and fast enough for the pump to start pumping fuel on it's own. No more problems. I don't know if your center carb has a bowl vent you can pour gas in through or not? Worth a try? 
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

BrianShaughnessy

I tried those clear sight plugs for a short while...   same results.   Back to brass.   

Stock six pack fuel lines,  well,   they're good the first time around.   Any more than once and you got 50/50 shot at leaks.    My 4782/3 setup was worse since I had to make the lines myself.   :brickwall:

A fuel log with nipples for rubber up to the carb makes it easy to work on them.    Or the aforementioned AN setup  Six Pack Performance ???     I can't remember now but their trailer / booth is next to MA at the Nats.  Same place that makes the metering plates.

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Troy

Quote from: Paul G on April 03, 2012, 08:09:13 PM
Last time I had the Holley apart I could not get enough fuel flow out of the pump to fill the bowls just by cranking. I am using a mechanical fuel pump. I filled the float bowls by pouring gas in through the vent, and spilled a little down the the throat of the carb as well. The engine started right up, ran at fast idle for a minutes. Long and fast enough for the pump to start pumping fuel on it's own. No more problems. I don't know if your center carb has a bowl vent you can pour gas in through or not? Worth a try? 
Yes, but that seems hokey to me to have to manually prime the car every time it sits for a while. Also, wondering if the "weak" pump is causing my lean condition at high RPM.

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on April 03, 2012, 09:23:40 PM
A fuel log with nipples for rubber up to the carb makes it easy to work on them.    Or the aforementioned AN setup  Six Pack Performance ???     I can't remember now but their trailer / booth is next to MA at the Nats.  Same place that makes the metering plates.
ProMax? They're in Indy and I've purchased some things from them before.

Troy

b5blue

Possibly "Quick Fuel" for fittings.
  I made a testing fixture out of my crappy fitting "Right Stuff" supplied carb feed lines. A short pipe out of each carb fed from the splitter 3 way with rubber fuel line between. I can take a pic for you if you want Troy.  :2thumbs:

Chryco Psycho

Did you solve this ?
I split the fuel lines down @ the Tee block & leave the lines along up at the bowl , remove the rear carb forst , then the middle & front last , if you split the lines at the rear tee the lines can be left on the carbs while removing them

Budnicks

Troy: Promax Carbs sells a great #6 AN/3/8"hose & fittings assembled carb lines for $150 & the lower kit to the pump for $75
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Troy

At this point my lines are fine - they're just holding air. Maybe I should have started a new thread?

Troy

Budnicks

Quote from: Troy on April 05, 2012, 09:50:55 AM
At this point my lines are fine - they're just holding air. Maybe I should have started a new thread?

Troy

:2thumbs:
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Troy

Ok, so I yanked the fuel pump off my other 440 (sitting on a stand in the garage). I purchased that engine with only a few miles on it from someone who wanted to build a stroker for their race car. It had a Six Pack setup on it and ran really well so I figured that pump should have no problem feeding mine. The first thing I noticed is that the outlet (to the vapor separator/carbs) was at a slightly different angle. The second thing was that the inlet was 3/8" and not 5/16" like the pump that was on it. Luckily, all the lines were upgraded to 3/8" so it fit fine. After I got it all installed it still wouldn't pull fuel from the tank - although everything from the pump on was bone dry at that point. I dumped some fuel in the center carb and it fired (and stayed running) on the second try. I took it out for a short trip and there's no hesitation or popping at all with my foot to the floor. Yay! So now it runs like I assume it's supposed to. It could probably still use some fine tuning but I'm now gun shy about touching anything that seems to be working fine.

Troy

b5blue