News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Has anyone tried the "DRS Protocol" for a herniated disc?

Started by bull, June 01, 2011, 10:53:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

http://greshamdisc.com/DRS.html

I got an MRI yesterday and found out that my L3 disc is herniated and after reading some stories here and listening to guys at work talk about their less-than-pleasant experiences I got to wondering about this non surgical procedure. Basically it's a chiropractic approach where they strap you onto a table a certain way and gently stretch your back in an attempt to "rehydrate" the injured disc. You're supposed to see improvement by the sixth visit or so but I believe the full treatment goes on for 20 visits. Apparently it doesn't work if the disc has fragmented or is too damaged.

It's basically the same as an inversion table or the "gravity boots" thing except that it targets a specific area in the back and uses computer-controlled pressure.

Anyone here know anything about DRS? Based on what I've heard I'd like to avoid back surgery if at all possible.

Todd Wilson

I dont really know anything about your treatment. What I did learn with my L4-L5 disc problem  is theres no really cut and dried treatment for everybody. Somethings work for some while other things dont work at all or very good,. My mother in law had surgery and is still in pain most of the time. My one buddy had surgery where they fused 2 verts together and was fine.  Broke the fusion and had surgery again and is fine. Drives an antique semi truck all over the place bouncing around with no troubles.

Myself I had 2 injections and laid in bed for 2 weeks and then hobbled around for 3-4 more weeks before I went back to work. Ate ibuprofen around the clock. When the pain eased up enough to where I could move I started walking.

Todd

twodko

Bull,

Please don't go with that chiro attempt. A chiro can not "rehydrate" anything except their coffe cup. Look into cortizone shots into the area, this is more than ample for folks with your type of spine/disk problem. Chiro's can and often do more damage with their "treatments". If you have a bulging disk this often can be repaired orthoscopically where they just go in there and snip the bulge away. This is an outpatient procedure. Beware chiroquacks.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

bull

I hear you, but this is not the snap, crackle, pop approach. This decompresses the spine so over time the disc has a chance to reinflate and heal. The explanation made me think of what happens when you squeeze a small water balloon in your hand (it bulges out between your fingers) and then when you let off it goes back into shape.

Understand that I'm not totally on board here but it is a non-invasive alternative and the chiropractor is not pouncing on you to manipulate your spine. I'm not convinced it will work but I do believe it's something I can try without doing further damage.

TK73

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

bull

64dartgt

I tried it on the advice of my chiro for a mildly blown disc at L5/S1.  He was treating me three times a week.  After about two weeks it had done nothing so I asked about the treatment in greater depth.  The "clinical" evidence he said they had involved much more frequent treatment than they can sensibly expect anyone to pay for.  I stopped wasting my money and went for PT at the "spine and back clinic" at Fairlawn Hospital.  That was awesome.  The focus was on building up your back and gut muscles to strengthen your core.  Specific moves they taught me I use to this day to relieve occasional pain.  Besides PT, lots of naproxen or ibuprofen and those heat therapy thermal wraps ($, but worth every penny).

I did have an issue that the chiro treated quite successfully, so I am not totally down on it.

FLG

Curtis,

My mom does it, but here back is probably far worse than yours so she will never be completely healed but she said initially its not the best feeling when your done but the days following she feels much better. She goes regularly because her disks are too damaged to repair at this point but shes able to get along just fine, still even rides her horses.

As dart said, the heat/thermal wraps help a bunch for her.

bull

Thanks for the info, guys. Very helpful. :2thumbs:

As usual the answer is vague at best. Nothing seems to be cut and dried.

Here's a Wiki article that says, basically, that no one really knows if it works: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinal_decompression

But then the success rate of surgery is probably about the same, if not worse, yet insurance will cough up tens of thousands for that. ::)

64dartgt

Sounds crazy, but the other thing that has helped my back is our massage chair.  My Wife asked for one after we both sat in one at a spa at an airport in TX.  Ended up buying one off vitalityweb.com through their ebay post.  Got a leather refurb for $1000 with free shipping.  I never thought I would enjoy it so much.  It is very relaxing and provides a great back massage I can have every day.  Worth every penny to me, although I balked at spending the money at first.   :rofl:

bull

Well, that's about 25% of what they want to charge me for this DRS Protocol.

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

bull

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on June 02, 2011, 12:29:22 PM
I'm on the same deal with same disc Bull!!!

Fun, isn't it? :eek2: What have you done to treat it? Two days ago I was crawling on all fours like a dog to get around and for the 15 hours before that I was stuck in bed with frequent muscle spasms. If I moved I got nailed.

Nacho-RT74

once I got freezed just stiting in front of the PC and couldn't move for 2 days... thats the only day I got  BIG hurt, rest of days pretty much normal, but with my job, some days I got some tired there.

working like sound tech, all the speakers and mixers weight makes harder to work with this issue.

I'm using this from 1 year now when working

and really helps out!
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Dans 68

Quote from: twodko on June 01, 2011, 11:40:57 AM
...Chiro's can and often do more damage with their "treatments"....Beware chiroquacks.

Hmm, I have to take umbrage with your statements. All professions can and do have idiots practicing said professions. All of my experiences with my chiropractor have been positive.

Curtis, good luck with any treatment. Back issues can be the worst pain. The best general treatment, once all the underlying problems (discs herniated, etc.) are resolved is to strengthen the stomach and back muscles. Would you like me to ask my chiropractor what he thinks of that procedure? There would be no charge....  ;)

Dan

1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

bull

Quote from: Dans 68 on June 02, 2011, 03:18:29 PM
Curtis, good luck with any treatment. Back issues can be the worst pain. The best general treatment, once all the underlying problems (discs herniated, etc.) are resolved is to strengthen the stomach and back muscles. Would you like me to ask my chiropractor what he thinks of that procedure? There would be no charge....  ;)

Dan

Sure. I would be interested to learn what he has to say. For now I'm going to do some physical therapy, mainly because it's paid for through insurance and it's not surgery. We'll see how that goes.