News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS EK2 SUPERBIRD RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, June 05, 2011, 06:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mytur Binsdirti

How many points are deducted for the rounded off nut?

Mopar John

Quote from: hemi68charger on February 03, 2020, 12:53:41 PM
Nice John !!!

All the little details I'll need for my Charger 500.... Have any extra 3.23's laying around?
Troy,
I have sent you a pm about original 3.23 gear ratio tags.
MJ

Mopar John

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on February 03, 2020, 01:54:23 PM
How many points are deducted for the rounded off nut?
Mark,
The picture doesn't do the nut justice.
When I removed it yesterday I spent some time looking at it.
I couldn't decide which side to have against the tag.
So I decided to put it back on the way I found it.
The nut looks like it was machined with grippers?
With the car on the floor it was hard to see how many were that way?
I have a empty grease can that has a bunch of extras that I need to look at.
But to answer your question there were no points deducted for the rear end center section attachment nuts.
MJ

Mopar John

Superbird 8 3/4 Carrier nuts!
Today I had planned on finishing the installation of the rebuilt transmission in the GTX drag car.
Instead I decided to go through my stash of 8 3/4 carrier nuts.
First I'm happy to report I only had one funny looking one on the Superbird and replaced it with another nice original.
I show that in my first picture. I wanted to get that done before Mark turned me in to the judges!
Being that one was on the gear ratio tag I'm going to keep it just in case?
But the real reason I wanted to go through the 8 3/4 carrier nuts was to see if I could find any color coded locking nuts?
If you have seen my wanted ad for nos tie rod sleeves you would have seen the red ( outer ) and tan ( inner ) color coded lock nuts.
During a discussion about those I was told that they might have been used on the 8 3/4 carriers?
So my last two pictures show one of the tan color coded lock nuts that I found with my carrier nuts.
The first picture shows the tan color in the lock nut and the second shows the "T" stamped into the nut.
So any one who has a chance to check their Superbird 8 3/4 carrier nuts for these "T" stamped nuts please report back.
All is not lost as I got the transmission finished up before Linda had supper ready!
MJ

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mopar John on February 03, 2020, 06:31:28 PM
                                                 Superbird 8 3/4 Carrier nuts!
...During a discussion about those I was told that they might have been used on the 8 3/4 carriers?
So my last two pictures show one of the tan color coded lock nuts that I found with my carrier nuts.
The first picture shows the tan color in the lock nut and the second shows the "T" stamped into the nut.
So any one who has a chance to check their Superbird 8 3/4 carrier nuts for these "T" stamped nuts please report back.
All is not lost as I got the transmission finished up before Linda had supper ready!
MJ

Lordy... John to the rescue,, again and I didn't even know it... I'll be needing these very same things and didn't even know it for my Charger 500.. hahaha...
Thanks for the detailed pictures John... Guess I have something else to look for.. I'm sure the '69 version is the same as the '70..  Been forever since I had to worry about a 8 3/4 rear, Dana's have been in my recent Mopar world.

Cheers,
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

odcics2

Quote from: Mopar John on February 02, 2020, 05:37:49 PM
                                                                     Superbird Rear End Gear Ratio Tag
Ever since I got my Carlisle OE judging deductions back I have made it a mission to correct as many as I can.
Some items are more difficult than others.
Today I want to share the correction of the rear end gear ratio tag.
The deduction read "reproduction gear ratio tag".
So the first thing I did was to look at all my original gear ratio tags but there was no nice 3.55 tags.
I show them in my first picture.
The second picture is from this morning showing the reproduction gear ratio tag on the Superbird.
The third picture shows the reproduction tag removed and is on top in the picture.
The tag on the bottom is a nice original that I recently bought.
You can see that the 3 on the original almost looks like a 7 on the top half and not all rounded.
The last picture shows the original 3.55 tag installed on the Superbird.
MJ

2.45 ratio?     Anyone ever see one of those???
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

A13

Troy: Are you SURE 69 and 70 are the same?  Lynch Road plant and Hamtramck plant?

hemi68charger

Quote from: A13 on February 04, 2020, 04:47:40 PM
Troy: Are you SURE 69 and 70 are the same?  Lynch Road plant and Hamtramck plant?

That was a big assumption on my part for sure.. I will have to look into it a little deeper.. Thanks for keeping me in check..  :icon_smile_cool:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mopar John

More on 8 3/4 carrier lock nuts.
  Since my original reply on this I have been trying to find more information.
There is very little out there on these lock nuts.
I did find a listing for reproductions at "HOOVERAUTOPARTS.com" .
They list 64-74 Mopar ABE Body 8 3/4 rear end carrier retaining lock nuts.
They state that their reproductions with the nylon locking plug are only correct for 64-67.
They also state the 68-74 lock nuts used a nylon patch inside the nut.
I have attached a picture of the reproduction lock nuts.
MJ

Mopar John

Superbird Six Barrel Throttle Return Spring Bracket Manifold Bolt & Washer or Not Part 1.
  Recently I posted on this forum about my Superbird throttle return bracket manifold bolt and washer.
The reason that I did this was we got a deduction for this in the OE judging at Carlisle and wanted to correct it.
My first picture shows the bolt and washer as judged.
The second picture shows the incorrectly installed solid washer now removed.
The third picture shows the correct Six Barrel throttle bracket with the serrations stamped into it.
The last picture shows the bracket now installed without the washer.
The problem now is that there is no paint where that washer was !@#$%^&*!
MJ

Mopar John

Superbird Six Barrel Throttle Return Spring Bracket Manifold Bolt & Washer or Not part 2!
So my first picture shows how I taped up the edge of the serrations in the bracket for touch up.
The second picture shows the unpainted area now touched up with engine paint.
The third picture shows the bracket and bolt re-installed but with damaged paint from the socket and the bolt rubbing the bracket.
The last picture shows it all touched up and the tape removed.
Thanks for all the replies over on the forum for this topic!
MJ

birdsandbees

The way it was meant to be.. no matter the na sayers!
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Mopar John

CORRECT SIX BARREL CARBURETOR GASKETS!
So today I took care of another deduction from the OE judging.
I got a deduction for the wrong colored carburetor gaskets!
The most popular ones being sold is what we put on the Superbird.
I show them in my first picture after I removed the carburetors.
They are sort of a yellow color and easy to spot with all the extra that
sticks out the back on each carburetor.
The second picture shows the correct as original light black colored gaskets in place.
The third picture shows a close up of the "REAR" that is stamped into the top side
rear of each gasket.
I was able to get it all back together and fire it up and check for leaks.
All went well and it's ready to go for a ride and find some cheap fuel!
MJ

RSI700VIPER

Nice!  Where did you acquire the gaskets?
69 V2 Daytona 440 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
70 FJ5 Superbird 440+6 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
69 Talladega Torino 428 CJ
69 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler II Gurney Special
70 T6 Challenger T/A 4-speed
70 V2 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack 4-speed
71 FC7 Challenger Vert Flemington Speedway Pace Car
71 V2 Challenger RT Formal Roof w/ V2 Stripe & Houndstooth

Mopar John

Mopar John

The weather didn't cooperate on the day I swapped out the incorrect Six Barrel carburetor gaskets.
But today we had a beautiful day here in the upper mid west!
After finishing some spring type projects I dusted off and detailed the Superbird.
We have a BP gas station less than a mile from the house and we took a ride over there for fuel.
We'll all the pumps had "NO" taped on the medium octane and high octane pumps?
So this caused a change in plans and about a 7 mile trip over to the next town.
On the way there I had a chance to open her up a bit and drive it like it should be.
Yes folks this is an OE level car that is going to be driven here and there locally!
I was able to buy some 93 octane at this BP station.
There was a late model Challenger owner looking the paint off the Superbird!
A check under the hood was in order after having all the fuel lines apart.
No fuel leaks and it was time for the ride home.
I was hoping to open it up again and I even thought about passing a bunch of cars but didn't.
Lucky for me I didn't because soon after was a caravan of Indiana state police cars.
There have been some problems at our local state prison with the covid issues and they must have been there?
If the weather is nice I plan another ride tomorrow!
MJ

RSI700VIPER

John, I like the 440 SIX PAK call outs on the fenders.  Makes you wonder why Mother Mopar didn't have a fender badge or decal calling out the power plant.  Pretty much every other Dodge and Plymouth of that era had something.   

Mopar John

SUPERBIRD WASHER RESERVOIR & PUMP DETAILS
  Working through the list from Carlisle was the washer reservoir date was after the build date of the car.
So one day I decided to remove the washer reservoir and check the date.
While I was at it I checked the date code for the washer pump and it was a very late 1968 pump.
So I decided to remove the washer reservoir from the Daytona and check the dates for the reservoir and pump.
Well it turns out the Daytona reservoir was a close match for the late 1968 pump that was on the Superbird.
I swapped those around and now the Daytona had a matched set.
But the pump that was on the Daytona was a 049 4 date code which was 4 years late even for the Superbird.
Recently I got lucky and bought an NOS pump with a date code of 033 0.
This mates up with the washer reservoir on the Superbird with both being just a bit after the car was built.
When the restorations were being finished up I ran out of time to find NOS parts with the right date codes.
Now I will share some details with you.
Picture #1 shows the early 1970 pump and the 1974 pump both 2809013 part number.
The 1970 pump on the left has the mold mark on the elbow and the 1974 does not.
Picture #2 shows the correct pump filter and sealing disc on the left
   on the right is the superceded pump filter I removed from the Superbird.
  Also you can see what happens to the grommet when the sealing disc is not used!
Picture #3 shows the date code of the pump I removed from the Daytona of 049 4.
The last picture shows the original box that the 049 4 pump came in with a 27 4 date.
For now I will keep the 049 4 pump as a spare and be happy the dates on the cars are close together now!
MJ

Mopar John

GOOD GUY ALERT!
I would like to thank Gary Gazda and his 4 Wheel Parts & Service Inc. for helping me out with my Superbirds power steering box.
For those of you who don't know this Gary rebuilds the power steering gearboxes used on our Aero cars.
Gary helped research and find a correct casting date power steering gear box with a perfect assembly date of 209 9!
Gary's user name here is: Birdflu.

This story starts way back in 1976 when I bought the Superbird.
The right front tire was worn out and the steering wheel pulled to the right!
I put the better original spare on and did some home shop alignment adjustments.
The Superbird still pulled to the right and I took it in for an alignment.
When all this didn't cure the problem I swapped out the original power steering box.
The swap cured the problem and I scrapped the original power steering box @#$%^&*()! :brickwall:
Fast forward to 2020 and I notice on one of my replies here that I have the wrong date code on my Superbirds power steering box.
The reply with the picture is titled "Front Suspension Part 9! It is reply #540 from August 2015!
If you look at my first attached picture the power steering box hanging in the picture has a casting date of 3120.
This is about a year after my Superbird was built! The assembly date would be even later!
I am surprised with all the people that have read through this post no one else caught this?
The second picture shows the freshly restored power steering box with the 1 69 casting date.
The third picture shows the 209 9 assembly date.
The last picture shows the power steering box in the shipping box from Gary.
Gary does a great job on these with competitive pricing and quick turn arounds.
Thanks! Gary
MJ

RSI700VIPER

Nicely done John.  I've used many of your restoration details and tips to put mine together.  So much so that I should pay you a fee :2thumbs:

Mopar John

RSI700VIPER,
Your kind comments about the details and tips are enough for me.
As I have just posted about Gary and his services many forum members have been there to help me.
My hope is that we as a group get the information out there on how these cars were originally.
As time moves on there are less and less original cars and parts to reference.
Thanks! MJ

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

1970Moparmann

John, we appreciate the time that you put into this thread as it will help people now and in the future!   Thanks for spending the time on this! :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

62 Max

John,
When you are all finished,I'll meet you half way and we can have pair to compare and a few beers !   :2thumbs:

Mopar John

Thanks guys!
62 Max,
Where are you located?