News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS EK2 SUPERBIRD RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, June 05, 2011, 06:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69rtse4spd

Your welcome, will look for the window cranks, been busy.

Mopar John

BETTER TRANSMISSION SHIFTER LINKAGE BRACKET
Recently I have acquired some Mopar related parts from friends that I helped along the way with their projects.
The other day I was sorting through these parts and putting them away.
I came across a real nice transmission shifter linkage bracket.
It's in great shape and it has real nice original plating on it.
I'm sending it down to the shop to be installed.
Here's a picture of it.
MJ

Davtona

Quote from: Mopar John on June 21, 2016, 03:32:57 PM
Recently I have acquired some Mopar related parts from friends that I helped along the way with their projects.
Here's a picture of it.
MJ

John, I agree the bracket does look nice but the bushing is not correct. That's a later issue style bushing. Correct one should be off white and one piece not slotted. I recognize this blue version as that is what I got from Chrysler when I ordered some new ones in the mid 80's. Correct ones were NSI at that time.  :brickwall:

Mopar John

Quote from: Davtona on June 21, 2016, 09:59:17 PM
Quote from: Mopar John on June 21, 2016, 03:32:57 PM
Here's a picture of it.
MJ

John, I agree the bracket does look nice but the bushing is not correct. That's a later issue style bushing. Correct one should be off white and one piece not slotted. I recognize this blue version as that is what I got from Chrysler when I ordered some new ones in the mid 80's. Correct ones were NSI at that time.  :brickwall:

Dave,
Thanks for pointing out the wrong color bushing!
There is always a fly in the ointment !@#$%^&*()!!
That same bushing is used on many of the cross shafts for column shift and column lockouts.
The problem is like you say their solid and you mess them up trying to remove them.
I think I have a nice one to swap out.
Thanks! John

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mopar John on December 30, 2015, 05:58:07 PM
Doug,
The heater boxes themselves are done in house.
They recently had both stamps made for the correct yellow part number on the front covers!
MJ

John,
Do you have a picture of that? I'm not sure the part number stamp of a '68 box is the same as a '70.. Then, you mention there's a 2nd? Have the font size and type? There's a guy here locally who made my stamp for the '68 Hemi Charger R/T project I once had....... I just ordered my DMT non-a/c heater box rebuild kit and will do it as well at home.. I enjoyed doing the last couple I have done...

T
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mopar John

Quote from: hemi68charger on June 28, 2016, 10:20:24 AM
Quote from: Mopar John on December 30, 2015, 05:58:07 PM
Doug,
The heater boxes themselves are done in house.
They recently had both stamps made for the correct yellow part number on the front covers!
MJ

John,
Do you have a picture of that? I'm not sure the part number stamp of a '68 box is the same as a '70.. Then, you mention there's a 2nd? Have the font size and type? There's a guy here locally who made my stamp for the '68 Hemi Charger R/T project I once had....... I just ordered my DMT non-a/c heater box rebuild kit and will do it as well at home.. I enjoyed doing the last couple I have done...

T
Troy,
Here is a picture of my extra 1970 non A/C heater box part number 2936680.
I hope this is what you needed!
MJ

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mopar John on June 29, 2016, 11:13:48 AM
..Troy,
MJ

Thanks John.. I see that on my box, but you mentioned something about "They recently had both stamps made for the correct yellow part number on the front covers" Are you referring to 2 different year boxes? I was thinking you were talking about the Superbird heater box cover having two stamps instead of the one.......
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Mopar John

Tr
Quote from: hemi68charger on June 30, 2016, 06:44:14 AM
Quote from: Mopar John on June 29, 2016, 11:13:48 AM
..Troy,
MJ

Thanks John.. I see that on my box, but you mentioned something about "They recently had both stamps made for the correct yellow part number on the front covers" Are you referring to 2 different year boxes? I was thinking you were talking about the Superbird heater box cover having two stamps instead of the one.......
Troy,
The Superbird just has the one part number stamped on it as shown.
When I was talking about two stamps being made one was for the Superbird/1970 and the other Daytona/1969.
The big difference between the two years is the heater core tubing sizes.
MJ

Mopar John

A PAIR OF NOS SILL PLATES!!!
What seems like yesterday but was actually 5 or 6 years ago I purchased one of the last pairs of NOS sill plates on the planet!
At that time I was thinking of installing them on the B5 Daytona.
I was lucky to get them from HEMIGENO who decided to have his originals restored and installed on his Daytona.
By the time I had them restored the Superbird was going together and I decided to use them on it.
I got a call from Troy Angelly earlier this week that my to do list was complete and the Superbird was ready for Carlisle! WOW!
This means that the NOS sill plates that were to go on last were installed.
I didn't want them to get dented or scratched while other work was being done!
I have attached the only picture I have of the sill plates unwrapped and ready to be installed.
MJ

maxwellwedge

Wow - Those are made from unobtainium! Nice!

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mopar John on June 30, 2016, 09:45:47 AM

Sweet !!!!!
Troy

hemigeno

They'll look good on the 'Bird, John.  Glad to see them have a good home.

Took quite a while to find that "pair", as both of the single-plate sellers I bought them from had given up on ever finding a mate to the one they had.

Mopar John

Quote from: hemigeno on July 05, 2016, 09:49:47 AM

They'll look good on the 'Bird, John.  Glad to see them have a good home.

Took quite a while to find that "pair", as both of the single-plate sellers I bought them from had given up on ever finding a mate to the one they had.
Thanks again Gene!
They will start out on the Superbird but probably transfer to the intended target the B5 Daytona.
I bought quite a few singles to make pairs and sets during the two restorations!
Loaded the for sale parts in the truck today!
Can't wait till next weekend!
MJ

Mopar John

2016 CHRYSLERS AT CARLISLE O.E. CERTIFICATION???
 What happened to us at Chryslers at Carlisle 2016?
This was my first trip and sadly probably my last to Carlisle, Pennsylvania.
After 2 1/2 months with no results I decided last Friday that I had enough! :brickwall:
If you go to the 2017 event web site they state that they have two years under their belts now.
Then if you click on the read more tab in fine print it states 2106(2016) results soon!
I called the event manager and was able to speak with him at length this morning.
I made it simple just return my $525.00 entry fee.
MJ

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Mopar John on October 03, 2016, 06:01:21 PM
MJ

Sorry to hear this John! 
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

hemi68charger

After 2 1/2 months with no results I decided last Friday that I had enough! :brickwall:
If you go to the 2017 event web site they state that they have two years under their belts now.
Then if you click on the read more tab in fine print it states 2106(2016) results soon!
I called the event manager and was able to speak with him at length this morning.
MJ

?? were you supposed to be there in judging and they dropped the ball?

Troy

Mopar John

Quote from: hemi68charger on October 03, 2016, 07:44:39 PM
MJ

?? were you supposed to be there in judging and they dropped the ball?

Troy,
We brought the Superbird to the show on Thursday as requested.
I remained with the car Friday, Saturday and Sunday until the Carlisle folks asked us to empty the building so it could be secured!
At that point I thought all the judging work was complete and down to the final paperwork?
MJ

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mopar John on October 04, 2016, 04:30:47 PM
Troy,
I remained with the car Friday, Saturday and Sunday until the Carlisle folks asked us to empty the building so it could be secured!
At that point I thought all the judging work was complete and down to the final paperwork?
MJ

Oh, so they never judged your car.... (?)  If so, man I'm sorry to hear that.......
Troy

Aero426

Quote from: hemi68charger on October 05, 2016, 07:59:53 AM
Quote from: Mopar John on October 04, 2016, 04:30:47 PM
Troy,
MJ

Oh, so they never judged your car.... (?)  If so, man I'm sorry to hear that.......

It appears the issue is that cars have been judged, but results have not been announced months after the fact.    If the Carlisle website is correct,  no one has received their results.  

Mopar John

Quote from: Aero426 on October 05, 2016, 08:38:30 AM

It appears the issue is that cars have been judged, but results have not been announced months after the fact.    If the Carlisle website is correct,  no one has received their results.  
BINGO!

Mopar John

I decided that I wouldn't comment on the Carlisle OE program until the results were posted on their site and we had our certification!
If you go to the Carlisle events site the 2016 OE results have been posted for a while now.
All four cars certified this year received the silver award.
Yesterday UPS dropped off a couple of packages which I thought were more presents for the grandkids?
When I opened the last one it was our certification award for the OE judging at Carlisle.
I have said a lot about what went wrong so I must tell you I was blown away when I opened the box.
It contained a real nice base with the 2016 OE results engraved and a large crystal vase to go on top! WOW!!
The only award that we have received in this class was our Concours D'Elegance class trophy from Louisville.
I was expecting a nice certificate with the results.
A real nice Christmas present!
MJ

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mopar John on December 21, 2016, 10:30:56 AM
....A real nice Christmas present!
MJ

Congrad's John !!!! You and Linda should be proud...  :2thumbs:
Troy

1970Moparmann

Very cool John!   Early Christmas present!   :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

moparnation74

John....That was a nice surprise for sure! :2thumbs:  Congrats, on all your hard work and determination, job well done!