News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS EK2 SUPERBIRD RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, June 05, 2011, 06:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69hemidaytona

odcics2

The real deal nos assembly line 69 Daytona lanyards.
4 sided crimps, 18" long-eye to eye, one shiny end, one blackened end.

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

birdsandbees

Nice.. but we're in his Superbird restoration thread!  :yesnod: Are they to be the same as the Daytona or what is correct...  :shruggy:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Davtona

Quote from: birdsandbees on January 02, 2017, 05:46:59 PM
Nice.. but we're in his Superbird restoration thread!  :yesnod: Are they to be the same as the Daytona or what is correct...  :shruggy:

Yes the same I believe except for the length. Daytona's are 18" Superbird's are 23".   :Twocents:

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241

odcics2

Oooopzzz!!!  But John did bring it up by showing a pic of his Daytona lanyards....   :Twocents:

birdsandbees

Quote from: odcics2 on January 02, 2017, 10:45:38 PM
Nice.. but we're in his Superbird restoration thread!  :yesnod: Are they to be the same as the Daytona or what is correct...  :shruggy:

Oooopzzz!!!  But John did bring it up by showing a pic of his Daytona lanyards....   :Twocents:
:2thumbs:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241

odcics2

Quote from: birdsandbees on January 02, 2017, 10:54:37 PM
Quote from: odcics2 on January 02, 2017, 10:45:38 PM
Nice.. but we're in his Superbird restoration thread!  :yesnod: Are they to be the same as the Daytona or what is correct...  :shruggy:

Oooopzzz!!!  But John did bring it up by showing a pic of his Daytona lanyards....   :Twocents:
:2thumbs:

Maybe I can put an 18" set on my Acme Lanyard Stretcher and get them to 23"!   :lol:

wingcarenvy

Congrats!! She is truly beautiful.  :2thumbs:

I do have one questions and it may be a stupid question. The "Plymouth" decals on the quarters are white. Is that correct? I always thought an EK2 car came with black and the EV2 came with white.

Mopar John

Quote from: wingcarenvy on January 03, 2017, 07:14:14 PM
Congrats!! She is truly beautiful.  :2thumbs:

I do have one questions and it may be a stupid question. The "Plymouth" decals on the quarters are white. Is that correct? I always thought an EK2 car came with black and the EV2 came with white.
THANKS!
If you go way back to when I started posting about the restoration you will see original white quarter and wing decals on the Superbird when I bought it way back in 1976.
There have been some other documented EK2 Superbirds with white decals also. The black decals were on the majority of the EK2 Superbirds though.
MJ

wingcarenvy

Thanks for clarifying. I have following this thread all along but my memory isn't all that great.

odcics2

This is a perfect example why anyone restoring a car should do it to the way THEIR car was built.

Don't take the easy road and copy other folks work!  :rotz:

Research, research, and more research into the car you are doing, all the way back to Day 1. 

Another detail that separates the men from the boys!  :coolgleamA: :2thumbs:

FJ5WING

Quote from: odcics2 on January 08, 2017, 07:27:54 AM
This is a perfect example why anyone restoring a car should do it to the way THEIR car was built.

Don't take the easy road and copy other folks work!  :rotz:

Research, research, and more research into the car you are doing, all the way back to Day 1. 

Another detail that separates the men from the boys!  :coolgleamA: :2thumbs:

I have been in touch with the 3rd and 2nd owners of my car and found the original owner had the dealer install the chrome rally mirrors very early on into his ownership. the original owner was a dentist and had passed before I started documenting my car.
I hung the chrome rallys back on just because they look so frickin natural and can easily be swapped out for the factory equipped mirrors.
wingless now, but still around.

Mopar John

SUPERBIRD 440 SIX BARREL FUEL LINE / VACUM LINE "S" CLIP
I thought I'd let all the January auction frenzy pass and now get back to restoration details.
So another small detail that I found out that we were missing on our SIX BARREL Superbird was the fuel line/vacuum line "S" clip.
I was able to buy a correct NOS One and clip it on.
I believe this clip is to keep the vacuum hose from drooping down onto the hot heat riser just below?
My first picture is of the NOS "S" clip.
The second picture is a close up of the "S" clip installed.
The last picture is an overall of that area.
I would like to see if any "ORIGINAL" ones are out there still in place?
If so could you share a picture with us?
Thanks! MJ

Wingnut426

Years ago when I had six barrel cars I used the "S" clip from the torsion bars for the trunk lid. Same clip? WINGNUT
HEMI Daytona Convertible

maxwellwedge

All my Six packs and Hemi's have the "S" clip.....

maxwellwedge

Mopar John

Thanks Jim!
It looks like I found the correct clip and have it in the right spot.
One more thing off the list!
MJ

hemi68charger

Quote from: Wingnut426 on January 25, 2017, 01:32:15 PM
Years ago when I had six barrel cars I used the "S" clip from the torsion bars for the trunk lid. Same clip? WINGNUT

I used the ones that hold the transmission lines together you often see. My first unrestored v-code '70 Charger R/T had the clip on the rear carb fuel line in the exact same spot as Jim's 'Bird.
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Davtona

Quote from: hemi68charger on January 25, 2017, 04:18:34 PM

I used the ones that hold the transmission lines together you often see. My first unrestored v-code '70 Charger R/T had the clip on the rear carb fuel line in the exact same spot as Jim's 'Bird.

Interesting bit of information with this clip John. Me being somewhat new to Six Packs I am learning the quirks of them piece by piece. I recently bought a factory original 6 pack fuel line setup mainly so I could get a original set of the brass tees. The repops are obviously not the same as the originals so I wanted an original set to see the markings on the back / underside. Anyway attached to the lines was one of these clips in excellent condition. Now I know what its for. :2thumbs: Looks like I need to find another one for the Hemi though based on Jim's 2nd picture.  :rotz:

Troy I think these clips are maybe not quite the same as the transmission line clips. The one I have the two "loops" in the S are different diameters. As in one diameter for the metal tube and a smaller one for the hose.

I'd be interested if anyone has pics of the lettering on the brass tees. I've seen the Weatherhead logo and the Eaton logo also. Which / What is correct or are both?  :scratchchin:

Charger-Bodie

So the same clip that holds the fuel main line and vapor return line as it runs along the rockers?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

maxwellwedge

Frank Badalson sells the correct S clip

I seem to remember seeing mostly the Weatherhead logo on the brass blocks.

Mopar John

Quote from: Davtona on January 25, 2017, 08:03:39 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on January 25, 2017, 04:18:34 PM

Interesting bit of information with this clip John. Me being somewhat new to Six Packs I am learning the quirks of them piece by piece. I recently bought a factory original 6 pack fuel line setup mainly so I could get a original set of the brass tees. The repops are obviously not the same as the originals so I wanted an original set to see the markings on the back / underside. Anyway attached to the lines was one of these clips in excellent condition. Now I know what its for. :2thumbs: Looks like I need to find another one for the Hemi though based on Jim's 2nd picture.  :rotz:

Troy I think these clips are maybe not quite the same as the transmission line clips. The one I have the two "loops" in the S are different diameters. As in one diameter for the metal tube and a smaller one for the hose.

I'd be interested if anyone has pics of the lettering on the brass tees. I've seen the Weatherhead logo and the Eaton logo also. Which / What is correct or are both?  :scratchchin:

Dave,
When you get a chance I would like for you to measure your SIX PACK "S" clip for overall height and width.
I would like to compare it with the clips in my next post.
Thanks! MJ

Mopar John

S CLIPS CONTINUED!
This topic has done what I wished it would do by sharing information and getting things right!
I have attached two pictures to help us.
The first picture will show three different "S" clips laying on their sides.
The second picture will show the same clips laying face up.
Clip #1 is a known fuel line "S" clip and is 3/4" tall and 1/4" wide with two different sized openings.
Clip #2 is a known trunk torsion rod "S" clip and is 3/4" tall and 5/16" wide with the same size openings.
Clip #3 is an unknown "S" clip and is 7/8" tall and 3/8" wide that I would like to identify.
If someone has an original clip on the transmission cooling lines I would be curious to it's height and width.
I have also asked Davtona to measure the clip in his post.
Thanks! MJ

Davtona

None of the above John. Mine is .25" wide x .62 " tall. So roughly 1/4 wide by 5/8 long. One loop's ID is .25" in diameter and the other is .315". So 1/4 x 5/16" I would say.  

I'm also thinking #3 on your list is for the transmissions cooling lines. Looks like a double loop for 3/8" tubes.

:popcrn: