News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS EK2 SUPERBIRD RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, June 05, 2011, 06:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birdflu

But wait...there's more! Looky under the spare...  :yesnod:

Birdflu

It appears you won't be able to rely on my unrestored 'Bird that obviously has been meddled with. Maybe I can try and arrange the correct jack for our car as well...help!  :shruggy:

First pic - bases...besides color, notice the 'T' shape in the center...
Second pic - Date on jack mechanism...
Third pic - part number on hook...

Mopar John

Gary,
Thanks for checking you Superbird jack!
Like me we know the 2931 103 / 10961 gray jack hook is correct.
In your case the gray base probably goes with the gray hook.
Your black mechanism has a 1 C date code or March of 1971.
So the black base and that jack are probably from a 1971 Mopar?
We need more owners to check when they have time!
MJ

Mopar John

Quote from: Wingnut426 on August 22, 2018, 05:28:44 PM
My jack post is the "T" type and not the hollow type as well.  WINGNUT
Pete,
Since you pointed out that you have a "T" type jack and not hollow I have started to look into this.
I am find myself with more questions than answers on Superbird bumper jacks.
In order for this not to take my restoration post sideways and have more owners see it,
I'm going to start a new topic " ORIGINAL SUPERBIRD BUMPER JACK OR JACKS? ".
Since you have what you feel is an original I am asking for your help.
I would like a picture of your bumper jack base from the top and another from the bottom.
I would also like a picture of your jack mechanism from the sides showing the stamping, date code, etc.
Thanks! John

Mopar John

SUPERBIRD BUMPER JACK!
As a result of my post on Superbird jacks I have found a correct "T" mast jack that is in the 34 1/4 - 34 3/4 range.
It also has a good 9 K or October build date.
I would like to thank all those that shared information and pictures!
MJ

Mopar John

CRAIGSLIST STORY!
One day I was browsing our local Chicago/Northwest Indiana Craigslist ads.
I didn't find anything for me so I started checking other nearby lists South Bend, Ft. Wayne, Battle Creek, Etc.
Well I made it all the way out to Detroit!
I came across an ad with some NOS Mopar Parts! WOW!
So one of the items was an NOS 80 lb oil sending unit for Rallye Gages date coded B 9 part number 2495222.
I needed one for the Superbird but B9 was too early.
So I went out to the shop and removed the NOS one we had installed in the Daytona.
I had remembered that it was way too early or a bit after the Daytona was built.
Well the one in the Daytona was date coded H9 or August 1969.
I was really happy because that one would be good for the Superbird and if I could get the Craigslist one
it would be good for the Daytona with an early June build date!
So I responded to the ad and the reply shocked me as the seller was my aero friend Greg "odcics2" ! WOW!
I bought the NOS sender and installed it in the Daytona and took the other one and installed it in the Superbird!
I have attached some pictures of the sender that is now in the Superbird.
MJ

Mopar John

CRAIGSLIST STORY PART 2!
Attached are the pictures of the NOS oil sending unit I bought from Greg and installed in the Daytona!
MJ

Mopar John

CORRECT MASTER CYLINDER COVER!
After responding to another post with a picture of my master cylinder cover I realized that I had the wrong one!
My first picture shows that lid with the wording running front to back not side to side and wrong information.
So the next thing I did was to make sure that I had the right master cylinder?
I thought if I had to buy another master cylinder I could get one with the correct cover.
My second picture shows the casting number of my master cylinder 2226821 which I believe is correct.
The third picture shows a close up of the wording on the nice master cylinder cover I bought.
The last picture shows it installed on the Superbird!
Thanks to all who post details on this site!
MJ

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Mopar John

U JOINT STRAPS!
Sometimes things work in mysterious ways!
Greg ( odcics2 ) who was the last to reply to my post was looking for some 7290 date coded U Joint straps for his project.
I replied with the 2 I had and later he found out he needed 7260 straps which I found for him.
Later I decided to crawl under our Superbird and see what was on it?
Well, I got a surprise! One strap was dated 8 24 69 and the other was dated 5 6 68 !@#$%^&*()! OH NO!
I'm glad I didn't sell the 6 4 69 strap to Greg!
I cleaned up the 6 4 69 strap which looks a lot better and swapped it out with the 5 6 68 strap!
Thanks Greg for getting me to check these out!

odcics2

Quote from: Mopar John on December 27, 2018, 04:19:59 PM
                                                                                           U JOINT STRAPS!
Sometimes things work in mysterious ways!
Greg ( odcics2 ) who was the last to reply to my post was looking for some 7290 date coded U Joint straps for his project.
I replied with the 2 I had and later he found out he needed 7260 straps which I found for him.
Later I decided to crawl under our Superbird and see what was on it?
Well, I got a surprise! One strap was dated 8 24 69 and the other was dated 5 6 68 !@#$%^&*()! OH NO!
I'm glad I didn't sell the 6 4 69 strap to Greg!
I cleaned up the 6 4 69 strap which looks a lot better and swapped it out with the 5 6 68 strap!
Thanks Greg for getting me to check these out!

:cheers:

Talked to a guy that has a build date of 10-69 on his car and 1-3-69 straps and it's original!!   

:2thumbs:

Mopar John

My 2018 Christmas Present NOS Disc Brake Caliper Positioners!
This story goes all the way back to 2013 when we took the Superbird in for restoration.
I had been gathering NOS and original parts for a while.
But some items just couldn't be found!
I had bought 2 right side NOS disc brake caliper positioners and 1 left side.
We were running out of time so we had all 4 of the original positioners replated.
The results were mixed as a couple of pieces had pitting and the new plating didn't have that rainbow prism look to it.
I have shown the comparison in my first picture.
So at assembly time we used a pair of NOS positioners on one side and the best of the used on the other.
One day at work a friend of mine was telling me how had his cell phone rigged to alarm when an item went for sale on EBAY!
He offered to add my list of Mopar NOS parts.
He helped me get a couple of items over the years but no left side NOS positioners!
Then about a year or so ago they reproduced them and many ads were coming up using the original part number.
I thought he might have deleted that number because of all the false alarms but he didn't.
We'll about two weeks before Christmas he sends me an e-mail that a pair of NOS positioners just got listed! WOW!
I found the auction on EBAY and it had a "BUY IT NOW" for less than the reproductions!
I bought the NOS positioners but the shipping was from Canada.
My second picture shows the pair of NOS positioners I just bought!
On Christmas eve my package from Canada arrived with my  NOS disc brake caliper positioner that I had been looking for!
Soon I will swap out the replated originals on that one side for the NOS parts.
What a neat present that checks another item off the list!
I hope you had a merry Christmas also!
MJ

odcics2

Amazing what's still out there, if you look.   :Twocents:

odcics2

Mopar John

Greg,
Thanks to you I was able to swap a NOS 2nd quarter 1969 spark plug wire for a more correct NOS 4th quarter 1969 spark plug wire.
I don't know how that 2nd quarter wire got in with the 4th quarter set but I'm glad it's been replaced!
I also bead blasted and painted my more correct tire iron.
The NOS caliper positioners that I was able to get recently have been installed!
MJ

Mopar John

U JOINT STRAPS PART 2!
I really don't have a written list but I'm always on the lookout for Parts and pieces to make the cars better.
I posted a while back about the date coded u joint straps.
I had found the Superbird had one strap dated 8 24 69 and one dated 5 6 68.
The 5 6 68 almost certainly didn't come with the Superbird.
So when I found the more believable 6 4 69 I was happy.
But I made a mental note that if I ever found one closer to 8 24 69 I would get it.
So a while back I contacted my brother in law who has had a bunch of Mopars about the straps.
This afternoon we were able to go over for a visit.
While the gals had a visit in the house we went out to his shop.
When my brother in law pulled his bin of straps and bolts out it was kind of what I expected.
Since he had mainly A bodies and trucks the majority of the 40 or so straps were the wrong type!
But we did find about 5 7290 type straps with date codes on them.
I couldn't believe my eyes when I cleaned off one that was dated 8 13 69! WOW!
This was only 11 days off of my other one!
I have attached a picture of the new strap that still needs to be detailed and then installed.
MJ

Mopar John

SOME SUPERBIRD UPDATES!
Over the winter and up till now I have been gathering a few pieces to improve the restoration.
So this past week I had some time and started to install those parts.
In my first picture I show a couple of the nice set of "H" headed pinion strap bolts installed.
These are hard to find with crisp details and no rounded edges!
In the second picture I show that 8 13 69 pinion strap ready to be installed.
For some reason I thought I had a 8 24 69 strap on the Superbird.
Turns out it was another 8 13 69 so I now have a matched pair even better!
The last picture shows my recently acquired group 27 red cap battery.
The great thing about this one is that it has removable caps like the originals!
MJ

johntpr

Where's the battery from John?

Nice work !

birdsandbees

Just don't pour acid in those holes John!! My yellow top is the same, bought it 3 years ago.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Mopar John

Quote from: johntpr on May 19, 2019, 05:05:25 PM
Where's the battery from John?

Nice work !
John,
The battery started out life as a battery in a battery about 10 years ago from Antique Auto Batteries.
I bought it used and dead knowing it had removable caps and then did some surgery.
I replaced the 2 dead motorcycle sized batteries with a nice single unit!
I would like to find another dead one with removable caps for the other car.
MJ

Mopar John

Quote from: birdsandbees on May 19, 2019, 05:46:12 PM
Just don't pour acid in those holes John!! My yellow top is the same, bought it 3 years ago.
Wayne,
I'm brainstorming on what I can attach to the bottom of the openings.
I would like to be able to pour some water in each opening and make it more realistic!
MJ

birdsandbees

What about those throw away plastic shot glasses, glued underneath?? Or small pill bottles?
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Dragon Slayer

Are there any numbers stamped on the side of your Master Cylinder, and if so can you snap a picture? 

Mopar John

Quote from: Dragon Slayer on May 23, 2019, 09:31:24 AM
Are there any numbers stamped on the side of your Master Cylinder, and if so can you snap a picture?  
Dragon Slayer,
I have attached 2 pictures one from each side.
The first one from the engine side where the brake lines are has no stampings.
The second one from the outer side has "MADE IN CANADA" on one line
then another line has E ? 215 6 7   ??  C.
It seems like there are a few characters stamped so light they can't be read.
MJ