News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

PIX OF VEGA PLUG [DAYTONA]HERE IT IS VEGA PLUG INSTALLATION

Started by daytonalo, January 12, 2006, 10:25:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daytonalo

THIS IS MY HEMI DAYTONA CLONE , AT THIS POINT I MADE A NEW FRONT TRUNK JAM AND THEN ADDED AROUND TWO INCHES TO FORWARD EDGE OF VEGA PLUG[THANK YOU RENE ] THEN MADE SURE ALL MEASUREMENTS WHERE RIGHT AND THEN WELD AWAY. THIS IS A CLONE SO PLEASE DON'T ASK WHY WOULD DID YOU USE VEGA PLUG . REAL QUICK , I SAVED A SMALL FORTUNE I SPENT 150.00 VS THOUSANDS

hotrod98

Larry,
Who made the trunk lip piece? I see a market for that piece. It's usually the biggest hurdle for guys installing the vega plug. It's the part that I've worried about the most. If someone built that piece and the trunk reinforcement finisher piece and sold them, it would take a lot of the hard work out of converting the rear area for a daytona clone. If I had those two pieces, I might just go ahead and convert my car.
later,
larry
hotorod98

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Nacho-RT74

AMAZING, SIMPLY AMAZING... I would like to compare side by side an original one with this body job once ended.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: hotrod98 on January 12, 2006, 11:20:37 AM
Larry,
Who made the trunk lip piece? I see a market for that piece. It's usually the biggest hurdle for guys installing the vega plug. It's the part that I've worried about the most. If someone built that piece and the trunk reinforcement finisher piece and sold them, it would take a lot of the hard work out of converting the rear area for a daytona clone. If I had those two pieces, I might just go ahead and convert my car.
later,
larry
hotorod98
:iagree: What he said,that curved stepped edge is the peice I need also for the stocker when I do it. :icon_smile_shy:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

dodgecharger-fan

Nice work! - but I have a question:

How did you take this picutre?  ???

daytonalo

THE PICTURE WAS SHOT WHEN CAR WAS TURNED SIDEWAYS ON MY ROTISSIERIE. AND AS FAR AS TRUNK JAM I HAVE ONE LAST LIP TO WELD IN FOR WEATHERSTRIP. THIS PART WAS CHALLENGING BECAUSE IT HAS A SLIGHT CURVE TO IT WHICH WAS ADDED AFTER IT WAS BENT UP IN A BRAKE

daytonalo

Ryan

Is the window the same size as the daytona window? What are you going to use for trim?
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

Rolling_Thunder

hell if i ever do what i want (C500) i would go this route...   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

daytonalo

NO PROBLEM, I JUST CANT FATHOM THAT EVERYONE IS NOT ON SAME PAGE BY NOW

nascarxx29

Way to go Larry your coming along fine .You came a longway since I found a vega hatchback lid.The other route was $$$$$$ and you would still need back window trim
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

daytonalo

damn right! the money I saved I started building my 472 hemi and I can afford alum heads

BigBlockSam

holy daytona batman!  man i wish i had your drive. you got all the hard stuff figured out. it's down hill from here. Larry if your only gonna use the skin from the plug. you might have to strengthen it some how. i try to use the as much of the plug as possible for strength . you don't want it to rattle at all. then you will get cracks were it is moulded into the sails.
  did you see what hotrod98 said, he would buy that rear piece if you made one. last time we spoke i told you there is a good market out there for components. i would dig paying you to do the lights on my nose. I'm sure you could sell whole working noses.  it would help finance your project. I'm looking forward to meeting you and seeing your project close up. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

73-charger-383

daytonalo

close but no cigar , It has those vents  below the window .

daytonalo

HI RENE, THANKS FOR THE TIP ON ADDING  A METAL STRIP TO UPPER PART OF PLUG . I DID STRENGTHEN THE PLUG BY SIMPLY ADDING A REINFORCEMENT BETWEEN PLUG AND THE OLD METAL LIP [OLD TRUNK JAM ]

hotrod98

I think the vented vega plugs are the same configuration as the non vented ones. It wouldn't be all that difficult to fill in that area if the panel is a premium quality piece. It just wouldn't be as easy to install.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Daytona R/T SE

For you guys searching for a Vega rear hatch, Pontiac had their own version of the Vega. It was called the "Astre"

Sure looks like the same rear hatch to me  :scope:

BigBlockSam

QuoteSure looks like the same rear hatch to me   

me too   :icon_smile_shock:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: BigBlockSam on January 15, 2006, 01:33:29 AM

Well, I have a confession to make, Back in the early eighties Vega/Astre bodies were used to make dirt track race cars. We would cut the top of the cowl, the windsheid opening, the roof and the rear hatch off of these cars in the junkyards, and fabricate the rest of the bodies from scratch. Back then we still used the oem glass windsheilds in the race cars...The rest of the glass? Let's just say I've "carefully removed" more than one of these rear windows from the hatch with a 3 pound sledge :eyes:

Lowprofile

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on January 15, 2006, 01:57:47 AM
Quote from: BigBlockSam on January 15, 2006, 01:33:29 AM

Well, I have a confession to make, Back in the early eighties Vega/Astre bodies were used to make dirt track race cars. We would cut the top of the cowl, the windsheid opening, the roof and the rear hatch off of these cars in the junkyards, and fabricate the rest of the bodies from scratch. Back then we still used the oem glass windsheilds in the race cars...The rest of the glass? Let's just say I've "carefully removed" more than one of these rear windows from the hatch with a 3 pound sledge :eyes:

Forgive us Father, we know not what we do.   :rotz: :D :D :D
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on January 15, 2006, 01:09:32 AM
For you guys searching for a Vega rear hatch, Pontiac had their own version of the Vega. It was called the "Astre"

WHAT YEARS can you use? :icon_smile_question:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

dodgecharger-fan

Quote from: daytonalo on January 12, 2006, 12:17:51 PM
THE PICTURE WAS SHOT WHEN CAR WAS TURNED SIDEWAYS ON MY ROTISSIERIE.

*turns head sideways and notices the stuff on the wall* DOH!

PocketThunder

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on January 15, 2006, 01:09:32 AM

Here is a set of trim that will work then for anyone looking..... 

PT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8042504644
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

The Ghoul

This is one of those things that I am very thanfull that I cought onto from this forum. This I feel is one of the things that the newer genneration might not pick up on... so I shall have it all (relitivly) to my self  :devil:
looks like a clean install, great job so far!