News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona Project - Blue One - update

Started by Daytona Guy, August 22, 2011, 08:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona Guy

Quote from: Stevearino on November 28, 2013, 08:28:17 PM
You really did a great job blending the nose to the fenders Dane. What if anything did you use between the nose and the fender.Any sort of thin gasket material or rubber or did you just mate them up?

The actual point of contact is under the nose, it is not a butt joint, I would call it an "L" joint. The contact points are just a painted surface like the joint for the front valance, but not a butt joint. I would add it is not perfect at the bottom, it is close, but at some point something has to give after you mock it up, tear it down, then put it together, fenders, doors, hood, valance, it just never goes back the same with all those gaps involved. 

Yes, this blue changes with light and camera settings - It is darker than some pictures show.

Dane  

Stevearino

Wow! That took some doing Dane. You really have to be patient to work a seam like that. The result is what Creative industries should have done instead of that wonky rubber molding.

Daytona Guy

Quote from: Stevearino on November 29, 2013, 07:59:34 AM
Wow! That took some doing Dane. You really have to be patient to work a seam like that. The result is what Creative industries should have done instead of that wonky rubber molding.
Yes, it is one of the sore points with me. At some point I feel sorry for original owners of Daytona's at shows, because the average Joe thinks mine is the real one :) I still can't figure out why on the real Daytona's the lower valance does not match the same radius as the nose.

Dane

Stevearino

Quote from: Daytona Guy on November 30, 2013, 12:51:29 AM
Yes, it is one of the sore points with me. At some point I feel sorry for original owners of Daytona's at shows, because the average Joe thinks mine is the real one :) I still can't figure out why on the real Daytona's the lower valance does not match the same radius as the nose.

Dane
Somewhat related. It was the general fit and finish ethos of the day. Back when I restored the 74 Laguna Bobby Allison car for my friend in Florida I really had to rework all of the door seams and cut the fenders to blend the factory nose.  When my friend displayed it at Amelia Island at a tribute to Bobby he had a long conversation with Junior Johnson about how hard I had to work to make the body parts blend together. His remarks were that they had the same trouble back in the day because the manufacturers used to run the stamping dies way past their useful life. Horrible fit and finish. While Chrysler had much better fit and finish than GM products by far I am sure Creative industries looked around at what was acceptable and that is what they came up with.

dads_69

Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

djcarguy

WOW your Daytona an color look great in all kinds of different light. great fit nose too fender,i too dislike the big rubber gaskets seal ,that look reaL bad on lite color tona.
our ya coming down to graveyard carz too see Toms red tona before it goes way east??

how was hot august in Reno? take care DJ :popcrn: :drool5: :popcrn: :cheers:

Daytona Guy

Quote from: djcarguy on December 03, 2013, 08:15:15 AM
WOW your Daytona an color look great in all kinds of different light. great fit nose too fender,i too dislike the big rubber gaskets seal ,that look reaL bad on lite color tona.
our ya coming down to graveyard carz too see Toms red tona before it goes way east??

how was hot august in Reno? take care DJ :popcrn: :drool5: :popcrn: :cheers:
I would love to come down. When is it leaving?

Dane

Indygenerallee

Im mounting my nose like this since I am going with the "Grand National" version Daytona... I always hated that big black rubber gasket... looks like trash...
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

hemigeno

The Grand National guys often ditched the big rubber gaskets too - Harry Lee Hyde told the story of how the gaskets would balloon outward while the #71 was on the track, which created drag.  The team filled in the gap solid (I don't remember how he said they did so), and used black tape to represent where the gap & gaskets "should" be.

Harry Lee also said they took a pickup truck full of Daytona nosecone gaskets to the dump, since they decided not to use them any more   :rotz: :brickwall:

farm966

Beautiful car! I will be looking at this for motivation! I just purchased a 70 charger for a Daytona clone project...hopefully to park beside my bird clone. Trying to explain to the wife why we need two wing cars....she can have 100 pair of shoes, but as soon as I want two wing cars it turns into a discussion...

Budnicks

Quote from: Daytona Guy on November 30, 2013, 12:51:29 AM

Dane
I think if I was to build a clone, I'd do it like you did, it looks so much better...  :Twocents:
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

daytonalo

Dane ,
The car looks incredible !!!!!!! As a guy who knows first hand about the Stinger nose lack of fitment , how many hours of re-contouring the nose sides to get that beautiful fit ?

Is the nose bolted to fenders to keep gap in place ? I did see your  L joint 

Larry

Daytona Guy

Daytona Guy

Quote from: daytonalo on December 14, 2013, 07:11:05 PM
Dane ,
The car looks incredible !!!!!!! As a guy who knows first hand about the Stinger nose lack of fitment , how many hours of re-contouring the nose sides to get that beautiful fit ?

Is the nose bolted to fenders to keep gap in place ? I did see your  L joint 

Larry
Good question - bolted across the top and bottom at the regular places.  The top first then bulled pulled in at the bottom - both adjustable.

Dane

djcarguy

MERRY CHRISTMAS DANE. Sure enjoyed seeing your yellow an now blue Daytonas both awsum rides. those toys look neat add alittle custom work to match your wing cars. have a great season and are ya planning another daytona yet,,just kidding.

take care an god bless.DJ somewhere in oregon.  HA HA HO HO HO :cheers: :cheers:

Daytona Guy

The70RT

<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Stevearino

I never get tired of looking at this car. The attention to detail in the fitment of the nose and other aspects of the car make me want to double my efforts on my project. Car sounds outstanding and that completes the picture. :notworthy:

Daytona Guy

Quote from: Stevearino on February 07, 2014, 04:58:30 PM
I never get tired of looking at this car. The attention to detail in the fitment of the nose and other aspects of the car make me want to double my efforts on my project. Car sounds outstanding and that completes the picture. :notworthy:
I will say I'm over rated by what you said. Dude, you doubling your efforts will give you a resume for a NASA engineer.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Stevearino

Quote from: Daytona Guy on February 08, 2014, 05:10:35 PM
Quote from: Stevearino on February 07, 2014, 04:58:30 PM
I will say I'm over rated by what you said. Dude, you doubling your efforts will give you a resume for a NASA engineer.

:smilielol: Believe me when I say I am not above cutting a corner or two.

Daytona Guy

Yes, but you will cut a corner using a water jet, and I will use tin snips :)

Dane

Budnicks

She's still a beauty, love that car  :cheers:
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks