News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Duplic Color Hemi orange engine paint warning

Started by 64dartgt, September 07, 2011, 08:23:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

64dartgt

Used this on my engine - Dupli-Color DE1652 Ceramic Chrysler Hemi Orange Engine Paint  - as it was readily available at Napa.  On the engine it has a low gloss and looks more like Chevy orange.  Oh well, I guess I will repaint it when I pull the engine to do the engine compartment.

FYI,

Bob

RallyeMike

Hemi Orange #1652 is a lighter color than high performance Chrysler orange. You probably wanted #1622 Chrysler Orange.

OReiliys around here stopped stocking #1622 on the shelf and only have #1652 Hemi Orange on the shelf. This is the wrong color for 95% of the people who need orange paint for their wedge Mopar engine. I asked them why they did this, and he said that only #1652 moves and nobody buys #1622. I told him that was bullony and that they were going to get a lot of complaints soon. As you would expect, he didn't care. So I went around and bought all the last of the #1622 in my area  :D

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

ChargerD100

Current Mopars: 2014 Ram 2500 Cummins, 1970 Dodge D100

My old Build Thread: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,82511.0.html

471_Magnum

Duplicolor makes crappy engine paint. Don't recall which orange I used, but I painted a 383 a while back and the stuff was really low pigment content and ran very easily while trying to get decent coverage.

VHT (owned by Duplicolor) makes a good engine paint. The Plastikote stuff covers really nice, but I don't think the adhesion and solvent resistance is as good. :twocents:
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

charge69

I will tell you guys a little secret just found out when we needed a little touchup on the motor after painting it with a gun the correct color.

Allis-Chalmers orange paint in the rattlecan and bought at Tractor Supply is a dead ringer for Hemi Orange ! Cheap and a perfect match!!

RallyeMike

QuoteDuplicolor makes crappy engine paint.

On the flip side, I have painted multiple engine in the last 5 years, and I have had good results with Duplicolor in terms of adhesion and coverage.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

bill440rt

Quote from: RallyeMike on September 07, 2011, 02:35:26 PM

On the flip side, I have painted multiple engine in the last 5 years, and I have had good results with Duplicolor in terms of adhesion and coverage.

I've always used Dupli-Color engine primer in the past, and with good results also.
I can't get Plasti-Kote around here anymore. I used to like their paints.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

John_Kunkel

Remember, there are two Hemi oranges...Race Hemi Orange and Street Hemi Orange. Race is more orange and street is more red.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: RallyeMike on September 07, 2011, 02:35:26 PM

same here...     I used it for 90% of the engines I have built and never had a problem...    I always heated the block before painting though - might have helped      :D     
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

471_Magnum

I couldn't find Plastikote in stores anymore. I ordered online through Amazon for my (late) Chrysler Blue. Would have gone with VHT, but they don't make the blue.

The Duplicolor orange I used sprayed like the infamous Mopar Performance stuff of yore. Just couldn't get any pigment out of the can.

Prior to that, I had used Ford Grey on another project with good results.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

owenrobertson

Mopar Performance Street Hemi Orange $17 a can, from Year One.

Dupli-Color Chevy Orange-Red, part number DE 1607, is about perfect, $5 a can, and Advance Auto Parts stocks it.  It's correct for some 1950's Chevys, but looks great on my 440 six pack.

Absolutey everything else you can buy off the shelf of any Auto Parts store will come out of the can and look exactly like Chevy Moly Orange, way too orange, no red in it.  I think they are putting Chrysler Hemi Orange labels on cans of Chevy Orange, good way to save money.  You won't find a parts store with a can labeled Chrysler Orange that's sprays anywhere near correct, I tried, cost me a fortune until I stumbled upon Chevy Orange-Red.  I had never heard of it.  Also, I was told you can't get part number 1622 any more.

Anyway, I found this thread when I couldn't find the right color for my 440, hopefully the next guy that googles the same issue, will see this post.

John_Kunkel

The MP engine paint is the worst of the lot IMHO, thin and runny....takes lots of coats to cover.

Lately I've used car paint on the engine and it works well for me, EV2 Hemi Orange body paint is the same as Street Hemi Orange engine paint if you leave the metallic out. EK2 is the same as Race Hemi Orange engine paint.

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

owenrobertson

Good call John, and you nailed it in your earlier post, there's race hemi orange and street hemi orange.  All of the paint companies that supply the shelves of auto parts stores seem to have forgotten that.  All you can buy is race hemi orange.  I even bought a can of Allis-Chalmers orange from the tractor supply store, it's a perfect match for race hemi orange, so that didn't help.  I was very close to dropping $40+ with Year One for two cans of paint.  Glad I didn't, I've read in other threads that Mopar Performance paint isn't all that great, but it was the price per can that really turned me off.  You're right of course, I should really buy a paint gun, just too lazy I guess.  For the lazy guy like me, try Chevy Orange-Red, it's cheap, easy, on the shelf at Advance Auto Parts, and really, really close to the perfect shade of red/orange.

Mytur Binsdirti

The MP paint is like water & the very best engine paint comes from Frank.

http://www.rogergibsonautorestoration.com/contactus.htm

It's pricey, but as the old saying goes; "you get what you pay for."

Cooter

I use Chevy orange, cause round here, as long as it's orange, there's no way I'm letting anybody under my hood to check to see if my engine is the correct orange. :2thumbs:
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on January 31, 2013, 07:41:35 PM
The MP paint is like water & the very best engine paint comes from Frank.

http://www.rogergibsonautorestoration.com/contactus.htm

It's pricey, but as the old saying goes; "you get what you pay for."

True. Me too.

Also - 440 Orange is NOT the same as Hemi orange.

There were 3 Hemi Oranges. Race Hemi, up to early 69 Street Hemi and mid 69-71 Street Hemi orange.

The 440 (and 340 and 383 engines that were orange) is a unique color unto itself... Frank has all of the above colors available and they are 100% dead nuts to the original factory colors.

bill440rt

I used Eastwood's Chrysler Orange ceramic engine paint, sprays out of a gun & uses an added hardener. That worked pretty good.
I will agree that Badalson has gone the extra mile with his paints & products.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

mauve66

my 440 is getting painted turquoise :2thumbs: , purists will have to cringe
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Troy

Quote from: mauve66 on February 01, 2013, 06:41:44 PM
my 440 is getting painted turquoise :2thumbs: , purists will have to cringe
They were turquoise prior to 1969.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

mauve66

but the 383 badges on the fender will fool non-moparites, most of them only know about those "orange" motors being fast
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

64dartgt

:icon_smile_angry:  Duplicolor ceramic crap started flaking off my newly rebuilt engine after less than a year.  RUN AWAY.

Rolling_Thunder

sometimes paint flakes due to poor prep...      not saying that's your case - just throwing it out there. 
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

ht4spd307

Quote from: ChargerD100 on September 07, 2011, 12:22:04 PM
Quote from: RallyeMike on September 07, 2011, 11:59:13 AM

So I went around and bought all the last of the #1622 in my area  :D

:rofl:
i think your correct as i have 2 colors on my engine which has never been painted it looks like the lighter shade underneath and the dark sprayed over the top . mines a 4/69 rt high performance 440 375 hp maybe these were painted this way form factory ? i stand corrected