News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

windshield install

Started by C928BRAN, January 24, 2012, 10:42:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C928BRAN

do i need to use any kind of sealant on the windshield, or gasket, when i put it in? :shruggy:

thanks, craig

Patronus

'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

b5blue

Use lots of it too! Between the glass and rubber and between the rubber and steel.

Cooter

Also, be prepared for it to leak as well...The lower portion of the 2nd Gen B_Body cars SUCKED as there is NO pinch weld for the rubber to seal against along the bottom. Just kinda "Lays" there.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

SRT-440

I just had one installed on my RR...I'm glad I paid someone to do it...the best money I've spent so far.  :2thumbs:
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

bill440rt

Quote from: SRT-440 on January 31, 2012, 03:33:09 PM
I just had one installed on my RR...I'm glad I paid someone to do it...the best money I've spent so far.  :2thumbs:

x2  :yesnod:

If you've never done it, hire a pro. It's one of those jobs that you don't want to have to do twice. And, most of the time it's cheap enough to save you the headache of having to go through it again.
The sealer is used along the BOTTOM, and a little up the sides. If it's not sealed properly or the wrong sealer is used, it will leak.

Hope this thread helps:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,43619.0.html
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

doctor4766

Quote from: bill440rt on January 31, 2012, 08:13:48 PM
I just had one installed on my RR...I'm glad I paid someone to do it...the best money I've spent so far.  :2thumbs:

x2  :yesnod:

If you've never done it, hire a pro. It's one of those jobs that you don't want to have to do twice. And, most of the time it's cheap enough to save you the headache of having to go through it again.
The sealer is used along the BOTTOM, and a little up the sides. If it's not sealed properly or the wrong sealer is used, it will leak.

Hope this thread helps:

Good thread Bill but I wouldn't go using urethane to seal the front glass or rubber on these cars.
Rather, use butyl mastic as it only skins over and doesnt set solid like urethane.
That could make it difficult to remove and/or re-use the front gasket down the track.
Gotta love a '69

b5blue

I used the FSM as a guide and had a pal help hold the glass. Safelite had no old school techs that had know how, 4 trips to them in 3 different states, I even had the FSM with me! The job my pal and I did with byutal caulk was vastly better because I knew the trouble areas by then.  :lol:

bill440rt

Quote from: doctor4766 on February 01, 2012, 03:39:01 AM
Quote from: bill440rt on January 31, 2012, 08:13:48 PM
I just had one installed on my RR...I'm glad I paid someone to do it...the best money I've spent so far.  :2thumbs:

x2  :yesnod:

Hope this thread helps:

Good thread Bill but I wouldn't go using urethane to seal the front glass or rubber on these cars.
Rather, use butyl mastic as it only skins over and doesnt set solid like urethane.
That could make it difficult to remove and/or re-use the front gasket down the track.

I hear ya.  :2thumbs:
I can say with confidence that it doesn't leak (got caught in the rain already a few times). And, if for some reason it does have to come out someday, I'd go with a new replacement gasket anyway. I wouldn't trust re-using it.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

doctor4766

Oh it doesn't suprise me that it doesn't leak lol
Gotta love a '69

From what I've heard the new repop gaskets don't fit nearly as good as the original ones.

resq302

The repro I put in mine two years ago fit and held in place well so I have no complaints.  I can't remember who I got it from, either Dante or R/T specialties.  The guy I had install my windshield did not want to use urethane OR the butyl caulk which I even bought myself so I knew I had the right stuff.  After he left, (and since I watched him install it like a hawk) I ended up popping out the windshield and then reinstalled it myself with the butyl caulk.  No leaks!  I could have almost guaranteed it would have leaked since he did not use any butyl.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

bill440rt

Quote from: resq302 on February 01, 2012, 08:17:01 AM
The repro I put in mine two years ago fit and held in place well so I have no complaints.  I can't remember who I got it from, either Dante or R/T specialties.  The guy I had install my windshield did not want to use urethane OR the butyl caulk which I even bought myself so I knew I had the right stuff.  After he left, (and since I watched him install it like a hawk) I ended up popping out the windshield and then reinstalled it myself with the butyl caulk.  No leaks!  I could have almost guaranteed it would have leaked since he did not use any butyl.

x2  :2thumbs:

If NO sealer is used along the bottom, it WILL leak. The gasket itself won't seal completely along the bottom.
The repro gaskets are made by Precision. The fit on mine was pretty good as well. I think the poor fit problem is that some of the replacement windshields are thinner than the originals. The current PPG offerings are thinner. The Pilkington ones are the correct thickness, & I believe so are the ones from AMD & ECS if original markings are a concern.

Darkman

Thanks to this (and associated threads), I have tackled the job of removal of the screen, back window and also the roof skin is coming off next weekend!

I am a lot more confident on those clips and what order everything goes in.

:2thumbs: Thanks guys
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

jaak

Quote from: bill440rt on February 01, 2012, 08:24:40 AM
Quote from: resq302 on February 01, 2012, 08:17:01 AM

x2  :2thumbs:

If NO sealer is used along the bottom, it WILL leak. The gasket itself won't seal completely along the bottom.
The repro gaskets are made by Precision. The fit on mine was pretty good as well. I think the poor fit problem is that some of the replacement windshields are thinner than the originals. The current PPG offerings are thinner. The Pilkington ones are the correct thickness, & I believe so are the ones from AMD & ECS if original markings are a concern.

X2, I installed a repo gasket with nice original W/S, nice fit! (My wife and I installed it, per instructions in FSM).

Jason