News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

police #1 and #2 from the dukes of hazzard

Started by itchyballs, January 24, 2006, 09:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itchyballs

hi. does any one know if the original georgia roscoe cars were real police cars? we know the general lee's were pretty much what ever 68-69 chargers they could find... ??? ???

Bandit72

i don't think so...it seems i remember at least one of them being a 318 car....
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

itchyballs

i was curious. i know some of this was talked about before here  and most has been about the original general lee's but i find it actually more interesting abouth the cars that were used that  people don't really seem that interested about... :yesnod: :yesnod:

blackcharger

after the series was picked up, most if not all the police cars were x CHP and other police cars.

Dave

Ghoste

Were they that much cheaper or easier to get?  What advantage would ex-cop cars give them over other four doors? 
I'm also curious if anyone knows if they went through cruisers as quickly as they did Chargers?

HAZZARDJOHN

I am not sure about police one or two, but the majority of the main series cars, 77 monacos and 78 Fury's were not Police package. They usually had a cloth flowered print fabric and the vinyl top moulding. I am sure it was just a cheap car that they scoured the used car dealerships for. I bet back then they were dirt cheap. Think of how cheap an 2000 crown vic non interceptor sedan is now. I bet I could get one for 2000 or less. I am not saying that they never used real police package cars, but the majority of the time they were just civilian sedans

~HJ
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't fix your brakes, but don't worry I made your horn louder."

TK73

Quote from: itchyballs on January 24, 2006, 11:08:36 PM
... i find it actually more interesting abouth the cars that were used that  people don't really seem that interested about... :yesnod: :yesnod:

I love to watch old '70s flicks to see the old 4-door cars in the background... "McQ" (John Wayne) was filmed in Seattle in the early 70's and had mucho Mopar.

I love the late 70's Furys; my police package '78 360 that I had to get rid of last year  :'(

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

itchyballs

man that stinks! i would have loved to had your car!!!!! :-[ :'(

Bandit72

Quote from: Ghoste on January 25, 2006, 05:17:08 AM
Were they that much cheaper or easier to get?  What advantage would ex-cop cars give them over other four doors? 
I'm also curious if anyone knows if they went through cruisers as quickly as they did Chargers?

i think they said they went through at least 600 cop cars....

jaak

Paul Baxley said in an interview one time, that they went through more cop cars than any thing, for instance, you do a stunt scene with rosco and enos', you destroy 2 cars for 1 take, if you have to do a take 2, there's 2 more cars. He said sometimes it would take up to three takes to get the shot the way they wanted it on film.....Thats 6 cars destoyed for a 30 second scene.
But on the other hand, If you notice alot of times when a cop car jumps/crashes, it is already pretty much beat and used up, from doing the fender bender/ car tapping, running into fences/trees and all that.

I always wonder about other vehicles too, Like the jeeps, jesse's pick ups, cooters trucks, boss hoggs caddys. you don't ever here much on them.

itchyballs

my thoughts exactly!!like what all has survived and where the cars are now.... ??? ??? ???

HAZZARDJOHN

the Cadillac one has always been and interest of mine and I just have never gotten a good answer as far as I can tell they used two in the show. The caddy never got jumped or wrecked so you really weren't going through a dozen a week. They had the on from Georgia which was originally a pea color as you can tell when they open the trunk or take the skirts of. I think this one became the heavy driving car as it wasn't originally white and it had a dyed interior. Then they had one without a Cadillac mirror that later on in the series became the car you saw the most close up, but when ever they were really driving the car it had a Factory mirror. What happened to them is anybodies guess. My personal guess is they doomed to sit on the WB lot for a few years until the were wothless and then they were probably auctioned off to somebody who may or may not know what they have. If they are still around.

~HJ
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't fix your brakes, but don't worry I made your horn louder."

THE COLONEL

Quote from: Bandit72 on January 25, 2006, 04:22:57 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on January 25, 2006, 05:17:08 AM

i think they said they went through at least 600 cop cars....

That is a good guess.  I think it was somewhere between that and 650 or so.
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

Mike DC

Later in the series they had cut a deal with CHP and were getting like 17 squad cars per month.  By the end of the month they would be running down.  I don't know how many police cars total, but the Valuzets once said they went through 527 of them.

-------------------------------------------

They often used more cop cars because of the filming work too.  Take this scenario:
The Duke boys bump Roscoe off the road.  Roscoe goes outta control & jumps his car into a tree.  He later gets his car craned out by the road construction crew and spends the rest of the episode in his "scuffed vehicle" chasing the Dukes to make them pay for the damages.

--  One 2nd unit car gets bumped in the door by the boys.  (A "minor bump" according to the script often turns out to require multiple hard bashes to get all the camera angles of footage they will want.  And in Hazzard County, a bump doesn't even seem to count unless it at least bends the car's unibody.)

--  One rollcaged stunt car actually jumps & gets destroyed.

--  A car must be perched up in the fork of a tree with a crane.  (Since the rollcaged stunt car was never really gonna land in the tree correctly.)  The hasty crane work often damages the car, and they may have to take out the drivetrain to get it light enough not the break the tree limbs. 

--  At least one 2nd-unit driveable car must be beaten up with sledgehammers so that Roscoe can drive around in his "scuffed vehicle" later in the episode.  They may need several of these cars, including one for the soundstage work.

itchyballs

so does anyone know where the surviving "other" dukes cars are at today?? ??? ??? ???

Bandit72

Quote from: itchyballs on January 26, 2006, 10:38:11 PM
so does anyone know where the surviving "other" dukes cars are at today?? ??? ??? ???

i know there's an uncle jesse's truck floating around somewhere, the guy owns it and an original general lee from the series

itchyballs

be pretty cool to get a bunch of the surviving cars together...

CNH 320

Quote from: Bandit72 on January 26, 2006, 11:32:32 PM
Quote from: itchyballs on January 26, 2006, 10:38:11 PM

i know there's an uncle jesse's truck floating around somewhere, the guy owns it and an original general lee from the series

Thats prob. K.C. from Aussi

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: TK73 on January 25, 2006, 01:16:52 PM
Quote from: itchyballs on January 24, 2006, 11:08:36 PM
... i find it actually more interesting abouth the cars that were used that  people don't really seem that interested about... :yesnod: :yesnod:

I love to watch old '70s flicks to see the old 4-door cars in the background... "McQ" (John Wayne) was filmed in Seattle in the early 70's and had mucho Mopar.

Yep!  :icon_smile_big:

Great flick to boot! :2thumbs:

There's a 2nd gen in the opening 5 mins parked beside the guy who ended getting iced in the beginning, and also a 3rd gen that pulls out in front of The Duke when he's chasing the laundry truck in his Firebird (The Green Hornet).  :yesnod:
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

Ghoste

Isn't there a guy in Windsor, Ontario who claims to have one of the original cop cars?

Mike DC

Wayne Wooten once told me that he was actually offered a lot more than just the 17 GLs when Warner Bros cut the deal with him years ago.  He could have had the police cars & some of the assorted others too, but at the time only the GLs could stir up a decent number of buyers with money in hand.  (They sure would have bought the police cars if that deal was being done today!)

At any rate, the police cars are probably scattered to the winds now.  I know some of them showed up in other TV/movies later on.  And having recently visited the filming site of "Dukes" where the cars were all left sitting for years in the 1980s, I can tell you there definitely isn't a fleet of cop cars sitting there now.