News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Did you get into cars because of family or...

Started by Ghoste, March 04, 2012, 01:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tan top

Quote from: Old Moparz on March 05, 2012, 06:48:17 AM
Quote from: tan top on March 05, 2012, 06:03:52 AM
nope  , got my self into cars  when i was a kid , watching

DMCL  :yesnod: :coolgleamA:

Bullitt
DOH
two lane black top
original vanishing point
funny car summer
original gone in 60 seconds
last american hero
there was another grandnational film also , first  black  stock car  driver  , can't remember the name  , but was a real good film  , based on true story  :yesnod: :coolgleamA:
not seen it for years  :popcrn:

No love for Speed Racer?   :lol:

Was the black stock car racer flick the one with Richard Pryor called Greased Lightning? 

yeah thats it Greased lightning  :yesnod: :cheers:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Cooter

A documantary about the first black NASCAR driver Wendell Scott.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

FC7 V code

It was family for me. My Dad had a 1948 Nash that he had bought and instead of trading it in when the time came he just stashed it in an old garage(a few rust holes here and there). At times when I was a kid it seemed the car was holding the old building up. My Uncle kept a 1955 Cadillac into the 70's along with a 68 Chrysler 300. When I graduated from H/S I received the cars as a graduation present. The Cad. is in great shape while the others need some work. My cousin had a 69 GTX in the mid 70's and a couple of his friends had a 69 Charger R/T and a 71 340 Demon. Hanging with those guys in my teen years really got me hooked on Mopars. My biggest regret was when my cousin sold his GTX in 1977 for 2k and my Dad had a total meltdown about him offering it to me(guess he figured I'd wrap it around a pole at the ripe age of 18). Anyway the car went to someone else and I saved money and bought my first Charger in 1982, still have it and it's been joined by a few other Mopars over the last 30 years. My Son is now working on a 70 Challenger SE that I had bought for 500 bucks in 1983, so I guess I may have passed the love of Mopars to him.
1968 Chrysler 300
1969 Charger
1969 Charger RT/SE
1970 Charger RT/SE
1970 Cuda AAR
1970 Challenger SE
1970 Roadrunner
1982 Trans Am

tan top

Quote from: Cooter on March 05, 2012, 12:17:50 PM
A documantary about the first black NASCAR driver Wendell Scott.

yeah course Wendell scott  remember now  :cheers: :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

ChgrSteve67

Bought my Charger 26 years ago because I thought it was a cool car and haven't been able to get rid of it since.

I'm just glad the wife puts up with it and me.

Fred

Yeah! some wives are worth their weight in gold!  :angel:   :2thumbs: 

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

bobs66440

My dad was/is a huge influence. He was one of the original hot-rodders back in the 50's. Very cool guy!  :2thumbs:

bakerhillpins

Wow, how cool is that!

No one in my family was big into cars. My dad did watch some racing (I always remember the Indy 500 being a big deal) but my parents split when I was in 7th grade so that didn't have a big effect. I religiously watched DOH and remember getting a ride home from camp one summer in a Challenger. That had a lot to do with it! Some of the older kids in the neighborhood were into cars, I recall a few TA's and even a Valant. But we mostly screwed around hot rodding lawnmowers and trikes.  :lol:  My friends dad once got into a rant while we were watching MTV about how he couldn't get anyone to mow his f'in lawn because the mower was broken, but if he put it out for the garbage man we would have that thing running laps around the neighborhood in an hour.  :rofl:  I always was drawing trucks and cars and giving them all sorts of weird paint jobs and dreaming of having the money/space for them. I suspect my love of engineering and working with my hands has a lot to do with it.

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

BIGBLCK11

Myself, my brother and older cousins all got into cars because of my dad.  He gave up drag racing after I came around(1 of 3). But, he got into street rods and had a 35 Ford pickup with a 327 Chevy motor. Later, he built a 35 Ford Sedan with a 350.  I spent a lot of time during the 70's at street rod runs, great memories.  I always wanted a 41 Willys coupe, I don't think I could afford one of those now, especially a steel bodied one.  The DOH def. got me into Chargers.  My dad always hated working on my grandma's Dodge products and was a Chevy guy.  When I was 15, he said no way on a Charger.  So, I went and bought a 69 Mach I. :icon_smile_big:  The Ford went over about as good as a Dodge.  I could kick myself, for not just bringing a Charger home back then.  The mustang was a basket case and I collected parts for years, sold it still apart in the 90's.  25 years later I finally have a Charger!  I think he actually likes it.  He did drive 14hrs each way to get it with me.  He still has the pickup, currently rebuilding the engine with a tunnel ram.  He is always helping me with the Charger, whether I ask for advice or not.  :2thumbs:

greenpigs

My uncle Rick mostly, but all my Moms brothers are gear heads. Some of the cars they owned & I am not making up any of these up either.

Bob: 1969 RA 4 Judge, 2 1964 GTO convertibles, 70 Javelin 360-Just has memories
Donny: 1964 GTO, 1974 Trans Am SD 455, 1969 Firebird pro street w 428- still has this Firebird
Ed: 1967 Shelby GT 500, 1968 HEMI Charger, 1967 Firebird 400 convertible, 1970 Super Bee, 1974 Barracuda, 1969 Charger RT that had 23K miles, 2 68 383 Chargers.1970 Hurst 300, 1/2 65 GT 350 clone... Others. 67 Mustang DD now
Rick: 1974 Torino, 1965 GT 350 clone- made in the 70's so it has a lot of original pieces, 1970 Hurst 300 that was Ed's & another 1970 300- has all but the Torino still.

My Dad took me to all the car shows & drag races I asked to go to & was\is great!!!! Plenty of support

My Dad has had 2 1967 Firebirds, both 326 power glides. If it wasn't Mopars I would own a Pontiac & I still have a hankering for a 1977 TA.

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

472 R/T SE

I imagine it had to be my old man.  When he was home, he was always out in the garage wrenching on something.  Seems like he always had 4-5 rigs too.  Except it was always Chebby or a Harley.  The other side of the family was Ferd.

Thing was he never taught me how to work on anything.  He always said I needed to learn like he did, trial & error.  Always pissed me off.

Dino

Cars?  I'm not into cars, never understood the whole attraction.   :D

Funny enough, I'm not exaggerating all that much.  I grew up in Belgium, a very busy and crowded port city.  Growing up with a brother who's 7 years older introduced me to a few cars but they were all cheap European or Japanese cars, from time to time I would see an American car, the only ones I really liked but I liked them mostly for the sound that big V8 would make.  Of all the cars I saw the big 50's cars were always the most beautiful, almost like rolling sculptures.

When I was 16 I bought an old Vespa scooter and I loved that thing.  I was in high school and had no idea what I wanted to become later in life.  One day the Vespa got pretty trashed in a crash so I decided to try and save it by customizing it, made a little hotrod out of it and I loved it so I got into bodywork.  Of course customizing something or doing collision are two totally different things so as soon as possible I got in custom and resto work.  I've seen some pretty amazing cars and bikes during those years but very few that really spoke to me.

One day, must've been 1993-1994, I was talking to a coworker and he mention the Dukes.  I saw the show as a kid but was only 6 or so and couldn't remember much of it.  I wanted to know what kind of car they had and he told me it was a Charger.  He said there's a custom car mag on the racks now that has one in it so I picked it up after work.  It had a dark blue 68 in it, black top, black interior and rear shackles.  That was the first time I really fell in love with a car and I was hooked for life.  I bought one not long after and drove the crap out of it until it was lost in a fire.  Years later I bought a resto project 69 that I sold about two years ago and now I have another 69, but a solid driver this time.

I think the Charger is one of the best looking cars ever made and in its class it's hard to beat.  But after all this history with cars, I still don't consider myself a car nut.  I rarely go to shows or watch car shows on tv because I get bored real quick.

Love working on cars, especially restos, but once I'm done with them I don't care much for them at all and just want to start the next project.  With the Charger it's different, I will love that car until the day I die.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

jaak

I have always liked cars from an early age, and I'm in the DOH generation, so I watched it religiously as a kid. And I have always liked Mopars more than any other car...they always caught my attention as a kid. But the real car I guess that started it all....one of my Grandfathers died when I was 10 years old. He had a '75 Dart 4 door. After he passed my Dad got the car and drove it back and forth to work for a few years. It was a plain old 4 door Dart, slant 6, 3 speed column shift. I guess I just liked it because it was old. I also have memories of Dad teaching me about a manual trans in that car. I would sit next to him and shift the column shifter when we were going down the road. Then on to high school, I had a friend, him and his Dad were big into Mopars (still are), So he always drove something cool to school. Back then he would show up in his '69 340 Dart, sometimes his Dad's '68 Dart GT convertible, or other times his Dad's '69 Superbee (383, 4-speed). Knew then I got to have my own Mopar(s) someday.

BTW, the 4 door dart is still around been sitting up behind a shed at my folks house for many years. I would love to see it back on the road....but sort of hate dropping a lot of $$$ on a 4 door. But when I look at it, it does bring back memories.

Jason

ACUDANUT

My folks and brothers always hated old cars. I got into for the pure passion.

TUFCAT

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on March 04, 2012, 04:04:11 PM
Born in Detroit...  it was my destiny.    :coolgleamA:

Likewise. Plus my Dad worked at Chrysler his entire career. :2thumbs:   We had some cool cars :drool5: :drool5:

472 R/T SE

Quote from: greenpigs on March 05, 2012, 09:11:19 PM
If it wasn't Mopars I would own a Pontiac & I still have a hankering for a 1977 TA.

Why's that?  My high school car was a 77 T/A. 

When it was hot out I'd go to the outskirts of town where there was an area we called "3 trees".  Two on one end & the other one was a 1/4 mile away.  Anyhoots I'd light 'em up all the way through the 1/4.  Don't know why, but I thought it was cool back then.  I had frickin' tar/rubber on the rear quarters & wheel wells.   :rotz:
The front seats would recline into the back seat.  Still don't know how the girlfriend was always getting knee burns?   ;)

greenpigs

I like the style of most of the bodies from the mid 60's till early 70's and also the TA from the disco era.

As for motors the 400 is a solid performer and even in the smog era ran OK for what it was.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

472 R/T SE

I can't remember, but what year had the Oldsmobile 403 sprinkled in?

My buddy had a '73 T/A in high school & still has it   :o.  Just a regular 455 car, no SD or HO.  That car flat got with the program.  Western Kansas, we used salt so I guess the rear frame rails are bad now.  
One of his kid's started college, actually out here east of Salem, Or., & another one is a junior in HS.  When the kids are out of college he'll restore the T/A...again.

If I were to drift from Mope, it'd most likely be Poncho based...like a '70-'72 T/A.  Couple years ago I was looking @ '69 Firebird 'verts.

greenpigs

77 was last year for the 400 & I think in California they got the 403, but I could be wrong. :shruggy:
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Tilar

I've always loved cars. The first one that I remember really liking was a barracuda my first grade teacher bought. It was the first year for them. Just something about that long sloping rear window that looked cool.

It really surprised me and sometimes still does how much Mom really likes old cars. She even went to Carlisle with me a few years ago.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Lennard

It's my brother in law's fault that I "wasted" all my money on cars for the past 20 years.(and probably for the rest of my life):yesnod:
When I was a little boy I watched every episode of The Dukes of Hazzard and a few years later my brother in law bought a '69 Charger and restored it from the ground up and we went to cars shows/meetings in it, that's when the virus really got me.