News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68-70 Windshield installation. Easy to do it yourself?

Started by Kern Dog, March 22, 2012, 04:00:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

I have thousands of small pits and scratches in what may be the ORIGINAL windshield in my 70 Charger. I'm ready to spend the money to replace it. I'd just let a glass man do the work, but in between the old glass coming out and the new glass going in, I want to repaint the dash and install new dash vents. I've installed windows in rubber gasket/seals before, but never a B body. I have a repro window gasket that I bought in 2002.
Any tips for a leak free installation?

resq302

For the money it is worth having a guy do it just in case he scratches the paint or something.  A lot of places will want to use urethane to bond the glass to the rubber and metal which will ultimately make the windshield area leak.  As it was since I did not want the glass guy using urethane and refused to use the correct 3M Bedding and Glazing Compound (which I showed him the factory service manual SAYS is needed) he just installed it with the new rubber gasket.  He said if it leaked he would come back and reset the windshield.  After steaming about that for 2 hours and as I carefully watched how he put it in.  I decided to try and take it out myself and do it the  correct way.  Luckily enough, I did not break the glass taking it out or putting it back in.  I will say that for it being my first time, it was not that difficult or as bad as what I thought it would have been.  The key that he told me was that you have to use a nylon pry tool and use lots of glass cleaner as a lubricant in getting the rubber over the glass.  So far since I have done it, Ive been caught out in two rain storms, one of which was heavy, and no leaks! :2thumbs:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

SRT-440

I just replaced mine a couple months ago...payed a glass guy to come out and do it for me...best money I've spent so far. Just have to find a guy that has experience with old cars...the "new" guys can't do it.
But, I'm not saying it's impossible or waaay too hard to do...just take you're time with it...the upper corners is whats gonna give u a headache.  :eek2:
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

doctor4766

They're extremely simple to fit once you have some experience.
Gotta love a '69

jaak

They are pretty simple to install. I did mine myself with a hand from my wife. Here is a link to a thread, where I described how I did it.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,83018.msg931950.html#msg931950

Good luck,
Jason

68pplcharger

Cooter

I put three in 2nd gen. Chargers. They went great. I put one, or attempted to put one in my boys 66 and it got hairy.
called in my "guy", even he couldn't get it all the way in. It's good enough, but not right.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Calif240

I installed my own... but had two buddies help me. It wasn't too bad, but took probably an hour or so. I had two guys to be sure we didn't hit anything around the paint and opening. Two guys held the window from each side and adjusted for fit, while I went around and basically set the seal. I would recommend having two friends if you can. I'm not I could've done it with just one other guy.
Terry.
Indianapolis '69 Charger. RestoMod.

69bronzeT5

Is there supposed to be a bit of a gap between the edge of the glass and the outer edge of the channel on each side? I'm assuming its not supposed to sit right against the A pillars?
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce