News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Electical gurus I need HELP!!!(update!)

Started by Danny Gutierrez, August 04, 2005, 02:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny Gutierrez

Sorry, but this is gonna be a looong post. 

First of all my 69 has ALL new wiring throughout (about 3 years old).  Have driven her for 3 years now with NO problems.  A couple of months ago while on a highway cruise all my gauges peaked for about 3 seconds and then settled back to normal.  This happened again about a week later.  It was HOT outside!!  Then one night she was hard to start.  Plenty of cranking but no spark.  Got her started and on the way home my aftermarket tachometer began dancing all around.  This lasted about 4 seconds and returned back to normal.  The next day while driving she suddenly died and would NOT start.  Inspection revealed my Accel coil was leaking oil!!!  Replaced the coil and still no spark.  Replaced voltage regulator with new one from local parts chain.  No spark.  Decided to change ECU.  I was running the chrome box and I installed my "old" orange box.  She started right up!!!  Figuring everything was solved I drove her that day on errands.  She ran fine.  Next day she began dying again.  First sign of trouble was when I turned my ignition key to sart her she did nothing!!!!!  No cranking at all!!  I checked under the car to see if the nuetral switch was in good shape.  No problems there.  I jiggled the key and she started.  At sthe stop lights in idle, the amp gauge would dance between straight up and max charge.  Once I got on the throttle she would hesitate slightly and the gauge would return to normal.  She died a couple of times, but made it home.  Now I am at a loss as to the problem.  My 69 has the MP electronic distributor with a new voltage regulator (big black box) and an Accel coil.  It also has the MP 1/4 ohm ballast resistor with 7 year old orange box.  Once again thanks for the help in advance. 
1969 Dodge Charger, second owner.  The first owner was my Dad.

Charger4404spd

Wow, talk about electrical gremlins. Sounds like there may be more than one problem. Do you have another ignition switch you can try?
The gauges going crazy sounds like the voltage limiter is going screwy!

beenaround

:iagree: it sounds like you have more than one problem danny.the gauges pinning is caused by the voltage limiter on the back of the instrutment cluster.the no start with no spark was probaly a bad box.the no crank might be the wiring at the back of the ignition switch.take a look there.see if the connector is melted.and keep us informed.

Ghoste

And as always, check the firewall connector.  You may have some other bad grounds too.

Chryco Psycho

make sure the connections on the ammeter are tight as well

Charger_Fan

Make sure you're carrying a fire extinguisher with you too.
That would really suck to watch it burn because of some bad wires.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Danny Gutierrez

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on August 05, 2005, 02:38:05 PM
Make sure you're carrying a fire extinguisher with you too.
That would really suck to watch it burn because of some bad wires.

Ha ha!!  Good advice!! :yesnod:  I replaced my old orange box with a new unit and now the car starts right up every time BUT she dies as soon as I put her in gear or even turn on the headlights!!!!!!!  Heck, if I press the brake pedal or open the door she dies!!!  I purchased a new voltage limiter for the dash and a new chrome 75 amp "square back" two field alternator.  The instructions say that I can ground out one of the field connections to modify the newer square back to work with my 69.  (I had the old, round back, 50 amp one field alternator)  Anyways, I still need to inspect the ignition switch and firewall connections.  Does anyone know where I can purchase a new ignition switch???  I'm talking about the whole housing and key cylinder.  Once again thanks guys!!! :icon_smile_big:
1969 Dodge Charger, second owner.  The first owner was my Dad.

beenaround

danny a napa store may be able to provide the switch and housing.you need to find an "old timer" who is willing to look through their old parts catalog.if you have no success pm me and i will go on the search.

Nacho-RT74

Troy has Original NOS 69 switches... I sent him
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Ranger Max on August 06, 2005, 12:39:51 PM
QuoteMake sure you're carrying a fire extinguisher with you too.
Lmao ...thats standard equipment in mine. I guess I am not the only
one thats parnoid about fire in the dodge!

are you serious ? NO WAY ? do you mean specially because teh charging wiring ?

LOL
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html