News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is it cheaper to buy seat covers or reupholster originals?

Started by sixpack_sid, April 06, 2012, 06:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack_sid

I'm ready to get my seats done and I found some covers that you hog tie for $350 for front & rear seats. There is a guy in town who reupholsters car seats. I was thinking of taking them down to get an estimate. Does anyone know what the average price is to get the seats redone? I don't want to be taken. Or would I be better off just ordering the seat covers?
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

Ghoste

A reupholsterer is basically doing the same thing except that the material he uses may be different than what was originally in the car both in appearance and quality.  It could be better, it could be worse, it could be something you prefer or not.  His price will vary but it will be very unusual for them to have some old oem seat material laying around for your car.  He will almost certainly trey and talk you into something he has in stock and will insist is better.
The best solution in my mind would be to order the correct seat covers and pay the upholstery placve to install them.

resq302

if you are not looking for a true 100% material, my buddy has something very very close.  give him a try.  he even has a quick video on how to install the seat covers yourself.  Ive known him for easily 10 plus years and is a true Mopar guy.

http://www.onlineupholsteryandmore.com/
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

sixpack_sid

Quote from: resq302 on April 06, 2012, 08:38:33 PM
if you are not looking for a true 100% material, my buddy has something very very close.  give him a try.  he even has a quick video on how to install the seat covers yourself.  Ive known him for easily 10 plus years and is a true Mopar guy.

Thank you! I'll check it out!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

BananaDan

I got new seat covers from Legendary and had a local upholstery guy put them on.  I think he charged me $325 for 2 buckets and the rear bench.  I provided the covers of course.  Legendary also sells the lower seat foam also.  If the bench needs any foam, they usually have it laying around, it's nothing special.
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

jaak

if you are not looking for a true 100% material, my buddy has something very very close.  give him a try.  he even has a quick video on how to install the seat covers yourself.  Ive known him for easily 10 plus years and is a true Mopar guy.

I bought my seat covers from Chris. Very nice covers for the price, if you are not concerned with originality. I bought the foam from Classic Industries (its Legendary brand), And covered mine myself. I also used the ABS plastic seat backs he makes/sells...nice parts.

Jason

sixpack_sid

Quote from: sixpack_sid on April 06, 2012, 08:58:38 PM

I was in contact with Chris. I see he's on eBay also! I'm planning to buy from him.
Thanks again!
Sid

7chargers

I had a upholstery guy tell me 150 per seat and that was with me providing new covers and foam. That seemed high, I fiqured I could do it much cheaper.

resq302

:2thumbs:
Quote from: sixpack_sid on April 10, 2012, 07:54:49 AM
Quote from: sixpack_sid on April 06, 2012, 08:58:38 PM

I was in contact with Chris. I see he's on eBay also! I'm planning to buy from him.
Thanks again!
Sid

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

AKcharger

There's no way someone could make covers from scratch that are better/cheeper than covers from legendary or the other providers. material, experience making that particular cover and time all adds up to high cost and disappointment. Have a shop install the covers yes, make them from scratch...no way!

Don't forget about 1/2 the time you need new foam too.

resq302

Well, since Jaak has purchased them from Chris @ Onlineupholstery and more,  I will let him comment on how they fit and how good the material is and what the cost is compared to Legendary.  I know what I saw in person out at Carlisle a couple years ago when he was out there showing his covers and door panels he was making up.  Since I was going the completely stock route, I ended up just getting everything from Dante at the time.  If I was not worried about 100% correct appearance, Chris' covers would have been a no brainer for me.
Brian

jaak

Quote from: resq302 on April 13, 2012, 07:56:03 PM
Well, since Jaak has purchased them from Chris @ Onlineupholstery and more,  I will let him comment on how they fit and how good the material is and what the cost is compared to Legendary.  I know what I saw in person out at Carlisle a couple years ago when he was out there showing his covers and door panels he was making up.  Since I was going the completely stock route, I ended up just getting everything from Dante at the time.  If I was not worried about 100% correct appearance, Chris' covers would have been a no brainer for me.

Chris' covers are very nice. Nice quality, nice tight fit. An Upholstery shop in Shelby TN. did the seat covers on my 73 (when I had it) Made and installed the covers. He made them exactly like the originals (pattern wise, they were a done in white instead of green). Any good upholster, can make seat covers and do it right. They use the tatter torn originals for a pattern.....just like Legendary does. Any professional upholster can copy the pattern exactly.

They guy that done my 73 interior, reupholstered both buckets and rear seats, reupholstered all upper door panels, and dyed all the plastics (lower door panels, a pillars, sail panels, etc.) He charged $800 bucks.

But back to original question....I highly recommend Chris' seat covers, if you are not concerned about an exact pattern. The quality and craftsmanship is top notch, you can tell he takes pride in his work.

Jason

charger_fan_4ever

Dante's has a pretty good deal on kits.

I got the kit with legendary covers front/back,door panels,headliner,carpet,sail panel boards for right at $1,100.

sixpack_sid

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on April 16, 2012, 11:54:46 AM
Dante's has a pretty good deal on kits.

I got the kit with legendary covers front/back,door panels,headliner,carpet,sail panel boards for right at $1,100.

I have bought from Dante's before. No complaints. Thanks for the reply!
I just ordered the seat covers set-front & rear from Chris-$275 + $30 S&H. I can't wait to get them!
Thanks again!
Sid