News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

AC Drier and Accumulator ???

Started by Highbanked Hauler, May 24, 2012, 10:04:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

Are they the same part with different name  and should they be changed  when changing the compressor. ?
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

John_Kunkel

Yes, they are the same...different name.

Purist claim the dryer should be replaced every time the system is opened. If the compressor is being changed because of a failure it's a good idea to replace the dryer and flush the entire system.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Chatt69chgr

I've seen the accumulator referred to when describing a closed cycle orifice tube design system.  I was thinking that it goes on the low side but might be wrong.  It has a dessicant bag in it that breaks on occasion contaminating the entire system requiring multiple system flushes to get all of the debris out.  The dryer is on the high side and is used in the type of systems that were prevalent back in the day.  The 69 original system had a high side dryer.  And the dessicant in the R12 dryers is different that what is used in the R134A charged systems.  So if you have switched to a different refrigerant then it may require a different dessicant. 

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: John_Kunkel on May 24, 2012, 02:26:34 PM

Yes, they are the same...different name.

Purist claim the dryer should be replaced every time the system is opened. If the compressor is being changed because of a failure it's a good idea to replace the dryer and flush the entire system.

The compressor works fine it just leaks. It will empty the system which is 134, in 50 miles and throws  the oil all over the place.  Forgot to mention its an 03 PT Cruiser , sorry..
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Chatt69chgr

Get a replacement compressor and new accumulator.  Saw the top off the old accumulator and make sure the dessicant bag is intact.  If not, flush system, pull vacuum, and recharge.  If so, just pull vacuum and recharge.  Add correct oil in a qty sufficient to replace what was in the old compressor and accumulator when adding the refrigerant.  Charging hose to fit disposable can of refrigerant is cheap.  Vacuum pumps from Harbor Freight are not very expensive.  If you are going to be messing around with ac stuff then you need one.