News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dukes event Va

Started by GL#10, June 03, 2012, 05:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RallyeMike

As long as they are using rusted basket cases, and saving good parts from destruction I can deal with it. If they jump 1 Charger per year for 50 more years, there will still be plenty of restorable chargers for everyone else. I more irritated about the damage to the cop car....
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Mike DC

QuoteDo you guys even look at previous posts?

I was purposely re-posting the same link because it didn't get enough attention the first time. 

-------------------------

QuoteAs long as they are using rusted basket cases, and saving good parts from destruction I can deal with it. If they jump 1 Charger per year for 50 more years, there will still be plenty of restorable chargers for everyone else. I more irritated about the damage to the cop car....

And IMHO we will see a reproduction 68-70 Charger unibody long before they get anywhere near 50 of those live jumps. 

Indygenerallee

I personally don't think we will ever see a 2nd gen body dynacorn shell with the shape this economy is in.  :Twocents:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

bill440rt

Quote from: GordonGriggs on June 03, 2012, 10:56:22 PM

I don't see how anyone here can support the destruction of these cars.

x2

Round & round it goes, where it stops nobody knows...  ::)
This topic seemingly gets rehashed every year.

I am certain the cars they are using are not restorable.
Having said that, as a diehard Charger enthusiast I am simply against the destruction of these cars for entertainment jollies. Doesn't matter to me what paint it's wearing.

More ways than one to "destroy" these cars. The roach in the build video still had lots of usable parts on it. Can't sell it to someone who wants to restore it? Cut it up, part it out, etc. I'd rather see it used as an organ donor than wasted to oblivion.
Yes, I watched the Dukes, still do. 2012 is different than 1977.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Cooter

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on June 04, 2012, 09:37:53 PM
QuoteDo you guys even look at previous posts?

I was purposely re-posting the same link because it didn't get enough attention the first time.  

-------------------------

:smilielol:

:2thumbs: Now, allow me to purposely repost this as I don't think it got enough attention the first time either...
"If you ain't got the cashola to simply buy up all the Chargers that were CLEARLY OFFERED for sale before being "Jumped", you shouldn't open your mouth here to b*tch because they were jumped. Plain as day.
AGAIN, would you shell out the cashola to "Save" these cars from being jumped? No? Then, you have no grounds to b*tch when they are jumped, because guess what???They have been, are, and will be jumped for the entertainment of the "True" fans of the DOH whether you guys like it or not. Just like another convertible Cuda gets a 426 Crate Hemi. Sure, that 340 Car shouldn't have that happen to it after making it 40 plus years, but guess what? It is gonna happen and ain't no sense in b*tching about it. Geeesh, and you guys say I'M the one that's "Contrary"...Lord have Mercy.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

I don't have the money to fund a cure for cancer but I'm still against it.  I guess what I'm saying is that just because you don't have the means to change something doesn't mean you no longer have the right to disagree with it.
I wans't going to hit the dead horse with my stick this time but I'll go on record again saying that I don't support it.  Yeah the car was a worthless roach and nope, I didn't buy it to save nor do I have any intention of doing so.  I still think it's a stupid waste of a car.
FWIW, I don't go to demolition derbies or monster truck shows either.

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on June 05, 2012, 07:12:02 AM
  I still think it's a stupid waste of a car.
FWIW, I don't go to demolition derbies or monster truck shows either.

So, sending a car to the crusher that is just rusty is considered "ok"...But, Bondo it up and jump it, have some fun with it before it goes to the crusher is bad?....Let said rusty car sit in back yard to rot is bad, but Bondo it up and jump it hopefully to promote as many younger fans into these cars after we as care takers have long been gone, before it goes to the crusher anyway, is bad?...Even though they ARE ALL GOING TO THE CRUSHER anyway......You guys are right, What a waste. :smilielol:
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

Sorry man, I see the rationality of your argument but I just cannot wrap my acceptance around the whole jump stunt thing.  Can't do it.  If there were a DMCLfest and they wanted to pile a wrecked Charger into a train I would be just as against it if that helps.
So yes, I guess I prefer the idea of crushing them, or more accurately crushing them without jumping them first.

Cooter

IMO, the people that complain about these "Jump" Chargers, are the same idiots that talk all that Bullsh*t about how many "Millions" of Dodge Chargers the DOH tore up in 7 seasons. They just want to see a bunch of like minded idiots that simply agree with them on hating on the DOH...Has nothing to do with the Charger, or they would bought them when offered.

300 Chargers in 7 years. When there were almost 300K made between 1968-1970. Really? So many were torn up?
Just like the Jump Chargers. Really? It's so bad to completely destroy that "Completely destroyed" Charger and have fun with it before it goes to the same place. it's all Bullsh*t that has NO merit, just hate for a TV show that did more for the 2nd Gen. Charger than ANYBODY talking sh*t right here. That's all I'm saying.

Ram07

I don't own a charger yet...still dreaming...would I consider buying one of these wrecks they jump....nope...do I care if they jump 'em....not really...they are just wrecks. Should they stop doing it....yes....rusted out wrecks, peiced together, just to jump...in front of a crowd of people, seems unsafe to me...one day, one of 'em is gonna have a nasty landing and hurt some one....

Back N Black

Quote from: Cooter on June 05, 2012, 11:56:33 AM
IMO, the people that complain about these "Jump" Chargers, are the same idiots that talk all that Bullsh*t about how many "Millions" of Dodge Chargers the DOH tore up in 7 seasons. They just want to see a bunch of like minded idiots that simply agree with them on hating on the DOH...Has nothing to do with the Charger, or they would bought them when offered.

300 Chargers in 7 years. When there were almost 300K made between 1968-1970. Really? So many were torn up?
Just like the Jump Chargers. Really? It's so bad to completely destroy that "Completely destroyed" Charger and have fun with it before it goes to the same place. it's all Bullsh*t that has NO merit, just hate for a TV show that did more for the 2nd Gen. Charger than ANYBODY talking sh*t right here. That's all I'm saying.

You will have to agree to disagree, your disclaimer that you posted works both ways. :icon_smile_wink:

Ghoste

I keep hearing about all the great things the show did for Chargers.  I suppose without it there wouldn't be half as many on the road.  Must really suck for all those 69 Camaro fans and 69 Road Runner fans and 65 Mustang fans because they never got a really cool show like the DOH to make them like their cars and now today because of that you almost never ever ever see one.
I think the show had a smaller impact on Charger love than it gets credit for.

Dino

Quote from: Ghoste on June 05, 2012, 02:19:58 PM
I keep hearing about all the great things the show did for Chargers.  I suppose without it there wouldn't be half as many on the road.  Must really suck for all those 69 Camaro fans and 69 Road Runner fans and 65 Mustang fans because they never got a really cool show like the DOH to make them like their cars and now today because of that you almost never ever ever see one.

Without the show the Charger would still be one of the most sought after muscle cars just because of what it is.  With the show it's the most overpriced...

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Mike DC

The Charger was a much-loved badass car long before the GL was invented.  

But the GL has helped support its popularity over the years.  

marshallfry01

I have to agree with cooter on this one. Sonny shroyer, (deputy Enis), said that they used 309. So it's pretty close to that number. 300 chargers would be 1% of 300,000. But I do hate how dukes and other movies have made the price sky rocket. I am not sure, but I thought jump cars had to be solid? I read an add awhile back saying that the stunt crew at dukes fest wouldn't use a rust bucket cause it was dangerous to the driver. If that is true, then that makes me sick. The one that the northeast Ohio club used wouldn't be worth restoring and prolly unable to be. I know I wouldn't want it.
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

Bobby41909

I was going to attend this event but got the opportunity to attend a show at Disney judged by Chip Foose so I passed on trailering the car from Florida to Virginia.  My 3 year old son is a huge car nut due in part to Daddy's brain washing so I thought for him to see the General fly like in the show but for real would be cool.  I know of the group that puts these Generals together and nobody on here wants one of them.  Might as well have fun with it for those folks (and there are alot more of them then you).  Beleive me, at the Disney event more peple wanted a picture with my General Lee then any other car there (which pissed a few folks off).  Oh well Chip Foose thought it was good enough for a 1st place finish!

I agree they shouldn't be destroying restorable cars but they aren't.  Those cars would need $80k or more to make right because they've all been stripped and gutted for anything good and then they'd only be worth $30k.  In fact, you might have some of those parts in your project now.  When the demand is there, they will make a body like they do for Camaro's and Mustang's but the Charger just isn't as popular now.  Maybe we need another DOH, Death Proof or Fast & Furious movie to spark interest.

I love my Charger but it doesn't handle anything like my 69 Camaro...dam thing is two feet longer and seems to weigh a ton more.  But when it comes to style, I love the Charger...and its all because of the DOH.  Little tiny wheels on a huge as* car and a vinyl top didn't spark my interest in the Charger when they were driving around back in the day.  It was a hot orange one flying over a freakin river that did.

Every's entitled to their opinion though....there is no right or wrong answer here....as long as paying folks want to see an Orange charger fly through the air with the dixie song playing they will fly them.  If you don't like it..open your freakin wallet and buy them up or shut up! 

Better hurry...I am getting ready to buy a few tickets to Cooter's event this August :nana:

BY RSCO

Quote from: marshallfry01 on June 05, 2012, 10:03:54 PM
I have to agree with cooter on this one. Sonny shroyer, (deputy Enis), said that they used 309. So it's pretty close to that number. 300 chargers would be 1% of 300,000. But I do hate how dukes and other movies have made the price sky rocket. I am not sure, but I thought jump cars had to be solid? I read an add awhile back saying that the stunt crew at dukes fest wouldn't use a rust bucket cause it was dangerous to the driver. If that is true, then that makes me sick. The one that the northeast Ohio club used wouldn't be worth restoring and prolly unable to be. I know I wouldn't want it.

A similar number came from James Best as well, 326 - also, the jump car the guys used (from ohio) at the VA event made the one they had in the video look like a champ. Im not kidding, I was surprised it rolled.. was like someone else here said, held together by the cage, used tons of bondo, cardboard, tin strips, etc. and had NO interior other than metal dash frame (which was also rotted) and a steering column and cheap wheel. I agree that I would absolutely hate to see a useable or restorable car jumped, it would be a crime. What I am getting at is I have seen many post on here where someone asked about a certain car, etc. and if it was worth restoring and ALL of the cars what have been deemed unrestorable by members here were in far better shape than what was jumped in VA. Just fyi - the guy doing the painting in the video was the one driving the car at VA (yes, the goober who slammed the police car...) sorry for :horse:

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: marshallfry01 on June 05, 2012, 10:03:54 PM

1% would equal 3,000 Chargers, not 300. ;)

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on June 05, 2012, 02:19:58 PM
I keep hearing about all the great things the show did for Chargers.  

I tell you what you do and anybody else here that thinks the DOH did little for the '69 Charger....You pull your plain white wrapper, Blue, Piss yellow, whatever color you want, beside my General Lee and we'll see who gets recognized first and why....PS, I can bet three weeks paychecks that that orange Charger gets replies like "Hey! It's the General Lee!!" LONG before ANY of you guy's Charger's gets "Hey! look Man, that yellow Charger sure looks great. I wonder when he's gonna paint it orange?"

BTW, Why is it you guys get so pissed when people ask you when are you gonna paint it orange? Maybe they are simple referring to you painting it "EV2" with a factory correct tailstripe or something???CLEARLY, it couldn't have anything to do with the DOH.....Just wondering....

Hmmm, a couple of feathers are disjointed  :lol:

I'm a Dukes fan but would rather not watch a Charger die in the manner that they are subjected to at many Dukes events.

I'd rather watch a "chase" scene similar to the video posted before about the Bandit vs. General where no cars were destroyed.

AirborneSilva

Some peoples ignorance and self righteousness are just overflowing, as if only their opinion matters.  I could give a crap less how many cheby or ferd owners recognize my charger!

Cooter

I can't believe some here actually believe that the DOH did little for the '69 Charger. Wow, I woulda thought you guys were smart enough to know better. Even I can admit when the Hemi VS Wedge thing is a moot point when it comes to the WOW Factor. Geesh, I think Some of you actually like Drama and enjoy being even more contrary than you think I am. Talk about "self righteousness"..

The proof I offer is the fact that some here along with 14 MILLION other Americans watched the fued between H&M on History Channel. Talk about a feud.

Bottom line is there are 30-40 years MORE fans for the 1969 Charger than there ever was in the first ten years before the show hit the air. Maybe the older guys with their retirement checks can boast they liked the car before the show, but for the 40 Y/O and under croud, the DOH got you into this car like it or not. Fight it all you want.

Nobody with kids that I'm aware of ever came running across an open car show field screaming "Hey! It's that black car from that movie. You know, the one where the green car was chasing it...C'mon, you know what I mean. That guy was in it. What was it called again?"

Or this one.
"Hey! It's that "Green" car from that movie with the dirty hippies in it. You know what I'm Talking bout right? The one where they picked up that skank and just drove around till they crashed into that train at the end"...

Or this one..
"Hey! It's that black car from that movie with the guy that played "Passenger 57". What was it again? Dude was a vampire or something"....

Again, not here to argue the DOH and the '69 Charger's popularity as the very fact that you guys seem to want to argue over it tells me all I need to know.

Ghoste

Okay, terriffic, lots of people recogonize the orange with numbers on the door and can recall that must mean its a Charger.  Your assertion was that the show did more for the Charger than the people on this forum.  I can't make the connection.  You state that anyone under forty is only into the car because of the show whether they admit it or not (that's a bit of a bold brush stroke but then so is the over 40 and getting a retirement check comment).  There was a thread a while back asking what if the DOH used a Chevelle or Torino would you still be into Charger and the vast majority of respondents calimed that using a different car on the show would not have swayed them from being into Chargers.  Not scientific but then again, neither is your claim.  If you painted a 69 Chevelle orange and put numbers on the doors would the same number of kids at the car show come running up and screaming?  Might be an interesting experiment.
The DOH exposed the car to a huge audience for sure and made SOME of the people here get one, but the many fans of the car who don't have one can hardly be used as prrof that the show did more for the car than the people here NOT into DOH that own one. 

Dino

On a different note, how does the driver protect himself?  Even in a solid car that would be one hell of a jump, but if the car's in that bad a shape, what do they do to make sure the driver doesn't break his spine?  Just curious, I know nothing of these things.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Cooter

Quote from: Dino on June 06, 2012, 06:43:50 AM
On a different note, how does the driver protect himself?  Even in a solid car that would be one hell of a jump, but if the car's in that bad a shape, what do they do to make sure the driver doesn't break his spine?  Just curious, I know nothing of these things.

Ok, While one of the most well know stunt drivers is gone, Al I think I remember reading about a "Harness" that kinda "Hung" him from the cage so his back didn't take the full brunt of the impact. Yes, in the beginning however, it was "Some" "safety" items in the car, but nothing like was in them towards the end of DOH run.