News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'69 Charger Build - It moves!

Started by chaos52, June 08, 2012, 12:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: six-tee-nine on September 23, 2014, 05:16:34 AM
I sometimes wonder about that.

I love restoring old cars, but I spend like 8 hrs a week on mine. I wonder if i would do it 8 hrs a day for the next 20 years if it would still be as fun as it is now?

I can honestly tell you that it would not.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bigdsul

Quote from: chaos52 on September 22, 2014, 10:35:07 PM
Quote from: Charger-Bodie on September 22, 2014, 08:20:23 PM
Quote from: chaos52 on September 22, 2014, 06:27:31 PM
Quote from: Charger-Bodie on September 22, 2014, 07:26:39 AM
You could move to Iowa and work in my resto shop.....

Haha, thanks, but no thanks. I have enough to keep me busy here.  ;)

This pays pretty well though.

A wise man once said that the fastest way to take all the fun out of something is to do it for a living.

And on that note: got the transmission in tonight. What kind of masochist does this for fun!?  :brickwall:

I'll agree to that.

I'm a train nut amongst other things and years ago an opening came up for a position with the BNSF railroad. Thought that would be a dream job. Turns out after 3 years I wasn't having fun and living out of a suitcase got old.

Now if I could do the same job and be home every night that would have been different. Now I'm a nurse and I enjoy it as I get to learn something new pretty much every day. And if I get bored I just go to a different department and learn something.

chaos52

I shot some timelapse footage over the weekend of putting together the front end, engine and dropping the engine in.

Enjoy!  :popcrn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poynRZmuM0c

Cncguy

Quote from: chaos52 on September 23, 2014, 09:32:18 PM
I shot some timelapse footage over the weekend of putting together the front end, engine and dropping the engine in.

Enjoy!  :popcrn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poynRZmuM0c

Drilling for pilot bearing?

chaos52

Quote from: Cncguy on September 24, 2014, 07:50:29 AM

Drilling for pilot bearing?

Just so the input shaft on the transmission can slide inside the crankshaft. I put a roller bearing in instead of the stock pilot bushing.

PtitRaisin

Quentin

Nickrc3

QuoteJust so the input shaft on the transmission can slide inside the crankshaft. I put a roller bearing in instead of the stock pilot bushing.

Chaos, can you explain the process of the installation? Did you use a slide hammer to remove the old brass bushing? Why did you need to drill the crank for the roller bearing? Is this a conversion kit with instructions on diameter of hole to drill?

Thanks for posting this very informative thread.

chaos52

Quote from: Nickrc3 on September 26, 2014, 07:04:49 PM

Chaos, can you explain the process of the installation? Did you use a slide hammer to remove the old brass bushing? Why did you need to drill the crank for the roller bearing? Is this a conversion kit with instructions on diameter of hole to drill?

Thanks for posting this very informative thread.

My engine is a 1978 400 with a cast crank. So there was no pilot bushing and the crank was not drilled to fit one. Instead of having it machined for a factory pilot bushing, I decided to use a roller bearing that fits inside the torque converter register (proper term?) on the crank. The hole I drilled wasn't for the bearing. It was just so the input shaft of the transmission could slide inside the crank. (you can also chop off the end of the shaft, but I didn't want to mangle my transmission)

Apparently you can use a roller bearing from a Dakota pickup, but I just ordered mine from Brewers. http://www.brewersperformance.com/products.asp?cat=32
There's lots of information about the bearing on this forum. There aren't any real instructions that I know of, but the bearing from Brewers came with a sheet of installation tips. Most of which are listed below.

I used a 7/8" drill bit I picked up at the local Tractor Supply Company. The transmission input shaft is 3/4" so it leaves 1/16" clearance all around. I've never heard of a suggested drill size to clear the input shaft. 13/16" would probably work, but it's difficult to get a perfectly straight hole when drilling by hand, so I would probably stick with 7/8" so the margin of error is larger.

To make sure the hole was deep enough, I bolted on the bell housing, then measured from the bottom of the hole in the crank to the flat surface on the bell housing that mates with the transmission. Then measured from the same flat surface on the transmission to the tip of the input shaft.

After pressing or tapping in the roller bearing, you'll also need to measure from the surface of the roller bearing to the "mating surface" of the bell housing. Make sure that the same measurement along the length of the transmission input shaft doesn't conflict with the "step up" to the splines.

Wow, that's probably clear as mud.
Here's a diagram to help. It's not to scale at all.

Ghoste

Nice work and a lot clearer than mud.  :yesnod:

keepat

chaos52

Painted the grill frame and grill and polished the trim over the weekend.

Also sanded down the bumper since it was pitted. Used 320 grit on the DA, then used rough, intermediate and final polishing compounds. There are still a lot of scratches on it and it looks rather blotchy. But it's much better that it was before. It will do until I can afford a new one.

Bolted on the hood tonight. Managed to chip the front passenger's corner. Oh well, it will touch up. There are some minor fitment issues that I hope will go away once the rubber bumpers are installed. Still looks amazing though!

:cheers:

Ghoste

fy469rtse

Great job  :2thumbs:
I keep going back to the start , just to remind myself on what an amazing job you have done so far,
They weren't this nice new

chaos52

Quote from: fy469rtse on October 01, 2014, 05:38:04 AM
Great job  :2thumbs:
I keep going back to the start , just to remind myself on what an amazing job you have done so far,
They weren't this nice new

I can't really connect the car in 2010 and the car that's sitting in the shop right now. Somewhere in those 4 years that car disappeared or faded away....somehow. It's weird.  :shruggy:

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

RIDELIKEHELL

Such a talent young man! Good for you ...wish I had the patience & skill  :cheers:
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

TUFCAT

This thread has it all......young gun, talent, knowledge, encouragement, educational, entertaining, motivational, and pictorial !!   :bow:

It certainly makes my list for one of the best threads of 2014  :patriot:

I can't wait to meet Joe somewhere in Michigan next year and shake his hand.  :thumbs:

chaos52

Quote from: TUFCAT on October 01, 2014, 02:41:40 PM
This thread has it all......young gun, talent, knowledge, encouragement, educational, entertaining, motivational, and pictorial !!   :bow:

I can't wait to meet Joe somewhere in Michigan next year and shake his hand.  :thumbs:

Wow, thanks  :faint:

Just tell me where and when, and I'll try to be there  :2thumbs:

One of these days (years) I'd like to make it to Carlisle.

TUFCAT

Quote from: chaos52 on October 01, 2014, 03:54:09 PM

I'm positive many guys would want to see your car and talk with you. :2thumbs:  

Troy may have to consider changing the group tent to the dc.com "celebrity tent"  :icon_smile_wink:

Dino

Quote from: chaos52 on October 01, 2014, 03:54:09 PM
Quote from: TUFCAT on October 01, 2014, 02:41:40 PM

Wow, thanks  :faint:

Just tell me where and when, and I'll try to be there  :2thumbs:

It sounds like someone needs to sign up in the Michigan members thread.   :yesnod:

Excellent work my friend!   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

charge69

I know I am late to this thread but you have done a magnificent job of resurrecting that old hulk of a Charger shown in the beginning of the thread! Congrats to you and I cannot wait to finally see you on the road in your beautiful Charger!

John L

Quote from: Dino on October 01, 2014, 04:25:32 PM

It sounds like someone needs to sign up in the Michigan members thread.   :yesnod:

There is a Michigan Member thread ?

John

Dino

Quote from: John L on October 01, 2014, 05:09:18 PM

John

Why yes there is!  Nothing formal but I'd love to meet all of you folks (and whomever else who wants to drive there).   :yesnod:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,113470.0.html
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

chaos52

Quote from: Dino on October 01, 2014, 05:11:53 PM
Quote from: John L on October 01, 2014, 05:09:18 PM

John

Why yes there is!  Nothing formal but I'd love to meet all of you folks (and whomever else who wants to drive there).   :yesnod:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,113470.0.html

Subscribed!

PtitRaisin

Quentin