News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Water Pump Housing Modification - No Thermostat ? ?

Started by 1969RT440, June 30, 2012, 12:23:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969RT440

Hello to all - Dodgecharger.com members - newbie here.

I have a question about keeping my 440 cool. 

Some years ago I spoke to a guy who races a 440 magnum 68 Charger.  He told me that he took care of his cooling problem by going without a thermostat.  Before doing this he had to restrict the passage hole inside of the housing.  All I can recall is that the factory size hole is drilled, threaded and a pipe nipple is installed.

Unfortunately I didn't write down the specs of this modification.  Is anyone familiar with this modification?  If so, does it work?   :shruggy:

Any input welcome - Thanks Dan

Chryco Psycho

you can accomplish the same thing by just using a washer to restrict the hole size or just using the thermostat with the center mechanism removed

Bobs69

I have a question.  Do you (or any of us) really want to go without a thermostate on any car?  I was under the impression that the water had to stay in the rad long enough to get cooled off?  Just looking to be educated here. 

Actually, I seen another thread on this some time ago and I drilled, oh I don't know maybe a 1/8" hole in the thermostate to work as a "bleeder". 

Chryco Psycho

Every time I have removed the thermo the engine has run hotter . All the thermo does is set the minimum temp in the engine , once the thermo is open the temp can rise & it depends on air flow through the rad & out of the engine compartment  & the efficiency of the rest of the cooling system to keep the temp down .
I have seen long articles on why a cooling system works , time spent in the rad , even reverse flowing the cooling system & cooling the heads first instead of last .
Years ago we put a 340 in a D50 truck , it always ran hot until we installed some vents in the hood to allow more air out of the engine compartment , fast & fun !!

b5blue

Not recommended. What it does is stabilize engine temp. evenly to allow for maximum efficiency and engine life on a STOCK set-up. Coolant moving too fast has not the time to absorb or loose heat resulting in uneven temps in the block and heads. Ask yourself would millions of engine cooling systems around the entire world use them if not needed?
  Now if you've built some custom ride or heavily modified whatever feel free to throw the "book" out the window. I do have good friends who rip the T Stat out and chuck it in the garbage at the first inkling of any cooling issue but these are usually well worn cheap old trucks or cars not worth a proper repair.

arnycunningham

i agree, a thermostat initialy controls the water within the engine first, being the primary system, as the engine water temp increases the thermostat opens at a certain temp but opens progresivley dependant on temp of water, this then opens up the secondry system being your rad, the thermostate opens and closes according to the temp of the water during running conditons, different wheather conditons, air temp, engine bay, size of rad, condition of cooling system will all have a part to play in how the thermostat opens and closes and when it does it, people seem to be under the impresion that once its open it stays open, it doesnt , it will open and close accordingly to maintain optimum temp for your engine.

also worth noting that your incar heater and pipework run off your primary system so you get hot air inside your car whilst your engine is warming up and before the thermosate opens, if no thermostat is installed the whole circuit is open and it will take conciderably longer for the engine to warm up and this is where the engine not running efficiently comes into to play.

technicly there is a thermosate for winter and summer use for different ambient temps.

if you take your themo out because you have heating issues its because theres something wrong.

thanks