News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

BC/CC is on!!

Started by sanders7981, July 16, 2012, 08:31:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanders7981

After what seems like forever... I finally got the BC/CC on.  I went with Nason Big Bad Orange, and Univeral Clear from SPI.  Being that this is my first time painting, I have a few runs to wet sand out but if it is anything like their Epoxy I am sure it will level out great!  I used an FINEX 3000 HVLP with 1.4 tip, worked great for the BC.  Probably would have been awesome for the CC, but I lacked experience to get it dialed in perfectly in ocnjunction with my spraying technique.  The attached pics are of just the BC.  Havent loaded the CC pics yet.     :cheers:

jaak

Wow! Bodylines look nice and straight  :2thumbs:  :2thumbs:  :2thumbs:

Yeah, runs are no big deal they can be buffed out! Can't wait to see CC pics, how did you like SPI UV clear? I have never tried it, but hear nothing but great things about it.

Jason

Indygenerallee

Looks great in base!!   :2thumbs:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

sanders7981

Quote from: jaak on July 16, 2012, 08:42:23 AM
Wow! Bodylines look nice and straight  :2thumbs:  :2thumbs:  :2thumbs:

Yeah, runs are no big deal they can be buffed out! Can't wait to see CC pics, how did you like SPI UV clear? I have never tried it, but hear nothing but great things about it.

Jason

Thanks for the comments!  :cheers:   

I think I read your resto thread and learned about the tape method for the body lines.  LOTS of blocking done before I got to this stage, but it paid off!  All the panels are nice and flat with the excpetion of a small 1/8th in. or less diameter gouge in filler on the hood.

For a first time user it was extremely user friendly and worth the money!  I applied 3 good solid coats on it and still have about a third of the gallon left.  If I sand through, I definitly have enough to go back over it.  Like I said, inexperience in shooting CC, maybe my choice of spray gun too, was the reason for orange peel and runs.  The gun worked great for BC, so I will chalk up the orange peel/runs to my lack of expertise. 

I did wet sand the SPI White Epoxy and Sealer coat (reduced Epoxy) and it came out glass smooth with some minor scratches left, but the CC filled about all of them in.  I have only found one that didnt fill in, but I think it will come out in the wet sanding.     

Silver R/T

Looks pretty good. I have Finex gun and it sprays good for a gun under ~$100
I prefer Sata for clear. Next time try using 1.3 for your clear. Remember with clear spray it the way you want it to look, wet coats are they key and proper overlap.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Patronus

Awwwyeah,, check it! Months and months of sanding and then...booom, its orange. Nice job.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Cooter

I gotta say all that blocking looks to have definately paid off!! Looks awesome.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

bill440rt

Looks BRIGHT and beautiful!  :2thumbs:

Nice crisp lines, looks like you got your panels lined up very nice as well.  :cheers:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Silver R/T

Quote from: bill440rt on July 16, 2012, 08:49:26 PM

Nice crisp lines, looks like you got your panels lined up very nice as well.  :cheers:
That's the way its supposed to be. Ive seen some idiots trying to line up aftermarket panels on a car that's been freshly painted *cough cough* my former boss.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

sanders7981

I got them lined up as good as I could.  The front fenders are both new, and it was a bitch lining up the passenger side fender.  I had to pry the fender forward to get the door to fender gap decent.  Ther hood is another concern, I need to install the hood latch and make sure the hood is not going to make contact on either side.  I have a good 1/4 inch on eihter side, but it slightly narrows toward the front to just under a 1/4 to 1/8th.  Again, I pulled out the fenders as much as I could and tightened it.   I may have to revisit that particular gap.  It looks good in pics and in person based off opinions of neighbors, but since I did all the work, I know where all the little imperfections are.  I am just happy that I was able to get to this point. 

Now on to the suspension!! :cheers:   

Dino

Quote from: sanders7981 on July 17, 2012, 08:46:55 AM

I got them lined up as good as I could.  The front fenders are both new, and it was a bitch lining up the passenger side fender.  I had to pry the fender forward to get the door to fender gap decent.  Ther hood is another concern, I need to install the hood latch and make sure the hood is not going to make contact on either side.  I have a good 1/4 inch on eihter side, but it slightly narrows toward the front to just under a 1/4 to 1/8th.  Again, I pulled out the fenders as much as I could and tightened it.   I may have to revisit that particular gap.  It looks good in pics and in person based off opinions of neighbors, but since I did all the work, I know where all the little imperfections are.  I am just happy that I was able to get to this point. 

Now on to the suspension!! :cheers:   

Don't worry too much about the gaps, you did good, it looks awesome.  Remember the gaps were probably much worse when it rolled out of the factory.  Also don't forget that if you have a quarter inch gap next to the front of the hood, you may end up with a lot of space between the grille and the fenders.  Once it's all assembled is the time to go over it and find a happy medium. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

sanders7981

Don't worry too much about the gaps, you did good, it looks awesome.  Remember the gaps were probably much worse when it rolled out of the factory.  Also don't forget that if you have a quarter inch gap next to the front of the hood, you may end up with a lot of space between the grille and the fenders.  Once it's all assembled is the time to go over it and find a happy medium. 
[/quote]

Thanks bro.  I figured that I would have to mess around with it all once it is assembled.  I think installing the hood latch/lock may give me a better idea of where it will sit in the end. 

sanders7981

Pics of the clear.  I hope to get started on wet sanding today.

Silver R/T

Looks nice, which clear did you use?

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

sanders7981

Quote from: Silver R/T on July 22, 2012, 06:47:31 PM
I used SPI Universal Clear.  I still have just under half a gallon.  I am thinking about doing a "flow-coat" after I wet sand it.  I'll have to see how it looks after I get it all done. 

Dino

Quote from: sanders7981 on July 22, 2012, 11:32:47 PM
I used SPI Universal Clear.  I still have just under half a gallon.  I am thinking about doing a "flow-coat" after I wet sand it.  I'll have to see how it looks after I get it all done. 

If you want to add clear after sanding you'll have to do the whole process again.  One coat won't work.  If there's enough on there now just sand and polish. 

sanders7981

Quote from: Dino on July 23, 2012, 07:11:31 AM

If you want to add clear after sanding you'll have to do the whole process again.  One coat won't work.  If there's enough on there now just sand and polish. 

Thanks for the info.  There should be enough on there, but I think I have enough to add atleast 2 - 3 more coats if I go that route.  I will just have to buy more activator from SPI. 

Dino

Quote from: sanders7981 on July 23, 2012, 07:30:19 AM
Quote from: Dino on July 23, 2012, 07:11:31 AM

Thanks for the info.  There should be enough on there, but I think I have enough to add atleast 2 - 3 more coats if I go that route.  I will just have to buy more activator from SPI. 

Great!  In that case you can do all your sanding and not worry if there's not enough on there.  Try a hidden spot and see how far you can go.  If it's too thin then just scuff it and reshoot.

Silver R/T

Did you have a gallon to begin with?

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

sanders7981

Quote from: Silver R/T on July 23, 2012, 09:36:33 PM
Did you have a gallon to begin with?

Yep. 

Silver R/T

Doesn't sound like you've put enough clear on there. Charger is a big car. I would think a gallon would be gone by the time you do 3 coats all the way around.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

sanders7981

Quote from: Silver R/T on July 23, 2012, 10:40:03 PM
Doesn't sound like you've put enough clear on there. Charger is a big car. I would think a gallon would be gone by the time you do 3 coats all the way around.

I thought the same too, but I guess its more like 1/3rd of the gallon left.  I layed on the second and third coat pretty wet and heavy.  Then I went back over a few spots making a semi fourth coat and light misting over the entire car. 

Dino

Quote from: sanders7981 on July 24, 2012, 07:45:20 AM
Quote from: Silver R/T on July 23, 2012, 10:40:03 PM

I thought the same too, but I guess its more like 1/3rd of the gallon left.  I layed on the second and third coat pretty wet and heavy.  Then I went back over a few spots making a semi fourth coat and light misting over the entire car. 

That explains the finish, don't mist it, you can only do that with base coat.  Clear has to be wet, borderline running wet.  It soulds like you have enough on there to sand and polish so pick a panel and try it out.  Don't polish the edges.

hemi-hampton

Same thing I was going to say. LEON.

Silver R/T

I'm sure it will turn out great. Wetsand it with 1200-1500 and then put additional 2 wet coats and wetsand it again. It will look like show car

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722