News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What have you done with your Charger lately?

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, August 19, 2012, 10:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lukedukem

Finally got to take it out for a drive to start the season. I've been working on my boat trying to get that thing ready that i have not taken the car out in a long time.

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

blakemon

Done fixing the header gasket, and replacing the inner and outer tie rods.

brad mcintyre

71charger_fan

Pulled the cover off to go to a cruise in and the starter wouldn't engage. Stuck the trickle charger on it and took the Scat Pack Challenger to the cruise in. I hope it starts tomorrow; it's Mopar Day at Mason-Dixon Dragway.

ODZKing

Went to a nice small show yesterday. Windmill near Penn Yan, NY. Temps in the hi 60's-lo 70s.  Beautiful day.

family_dodge

Took apart, cleaned, and reassembled the Holley 4-barrel double pumper (4777) that Dad had on the 383. These things are intricate.

ht4spd307

Quote from: ODZKing on May 21, 2017, 11:26:36 AM
Went to a nice small show yesterday. Windmill near Penn Yan, NY. Temps in the hi 60's-lo 70s.  Beautiful day.
is your charger a Californian car ?

ODZKing

Quote from: ht4spd307 on May 21, 2017, 05:52:09 PM
is your charger a Californian car ?
No, Selling dealership oddly enough was formerly in Penn Yan and car resided in PA until we purchased it.

family_dodge

Quote from: ODZKing on May 21, 2017, 11:26:36 AM

Looks stellar!

JR

Just treated myself to some suspension goodies.

SPC upper control arms and QA1 single adjustable shocks. The shocks have 18 different settings of dampening/rebound, and the UCA's will allow for up to six degrees positive caster, and as much negative camber as I want.

I currently have stock UCAs with Moog offset bushings, and was able to get almost 1 degree negative camber on each side, but nowhere near enough caster.

This will fix that nicely.

I'll make a separate thread (in the suspension & chassis section) reviewing them both when I install them this weekend.

I can't wait.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

69wannabe

Got the engine out yesterday and got it hanging on the stand. Got new stealth heads ready to go on it and I am hoping to get this pesky rear main seal leak fixed this time around. Give it a good washing today and pulled the oil pan and windage tray off and got the old oil pan gasket off the block and got the old rear main seal out and got it cleaned up and ready for a new seal. It was late and getting dark so I decided to wait til I could spend a little more time with the new seal install. Cleaned up the seal retainer good too so if I get off work early enough tomorrow i'm going to get that sealed up and start cleaning the oil pan and tray up and get them ready to go back on the engine. Slow process but i'm taking my time and hopefully it will turn out good.

M5Ivan

Just got it back from the shop. I had them install the PST super rubber front end kit, Bilstein shocks and subframe connectors. It's one of those times when you don't know until you know.....what a DRAMATIC difference!!!! I had no idea how loose the car felt until now. The shop owner suggested the Bilsteins and said he'd refund me and remove them for free if I wasn't happy with them.
No chance they are coming off  :icon_smile_big:

JR

Installed previously posted SPC upper control arms and QA1 adjustable shocks.

I set them for .90 degree negative camber, and max positive caster. Somewhere around 4-6 degrees. (My car sees autocross use and 80 mph interstate cruising, so I want an aggressive setup.)

They replaced stock UCAs with offset Moog bushings and standard Monroe shocks, and what a huge improvement.

The caster alone made the swap worth it. It has much more road feel and no more over assisted, numb steering. I'm very pleased with these parts!

I can't wait to put these shocks on the rear next.

BDF

Today I swapped out the PS pump, changed oil, filter, fuel filter, checked transmission /throttle linkages & band adjustments ORDERED TIRES & WHEELS  :icon_smile_big:
Then I drove it.
And then drove it some more  :icon_smile_big:

69wannabe

Got the rear main seal replaced and hopefully it won't leak this time!!! Got the oil pan and windage tray cleaned up and cleaned the pick up screen good and put all that back on the engine. Gave it some new paint and it looks good but it usually don't last very long. Got the engine flipped over and took the valve covers, rockers and heads off it. Gonna clean the top of the block tomorrow and get the new heads bolted on there. If all goes well I may get it bolted back into the car within the next couple days......

timmycharger

Drove mine the furthest under its own power since 2002!  Did a 4 mile shakedown trip around town to work through some bugs and ensure things working properly.   Some conclusions/observations:

Car needs an alignment badly!
Temp, pressure, charging system working, gauges working as well
Speedo is mostly accurate but quiet now vs. pre resto
clunking sound in rear end solved after changing pinion snubber to stock
Distributor too far advanced I think (feels like it wants to keep running after shutting off engine)
small fuel leak in the AN fittings
headlight doors do not open/close - need to diagnose problem

Car is scary fast and shitloads of fun with the 4 speed and 3:54 gears.

69wannabe

Got the top of the block cleaned and blew out all the head bolt holes good and got the new heads bolted on. Using the ARP lube is a slow process but it is what it is and it works so there you go. Got my rocker arms and pushrod's on there and the pushrod's were slightly too long. I have adjustable rocker arm's and they were set about right but I had to back the adjuster's all the way out and some of them did good and some didn't so I ordered me a set of slightly shorter pushrod's. Not sure if the heads are a little shorter or if the shaft's sit down slightly lower in the heads but got some ordered so maybe that will work out when they get here. Also my clutch fork retainer spring is broke and I noticed when I was cleaning the bellhousing that it was flopping around a good bit. I did not know that a big block clutch fork was so hard to come up with. I bought the one in it new back around 12 years ago and got it new from mopar but now it is discontinued and nobody repop's it I don't guess. Found several listing for the small block fork but not the big block one. Anybody on here got a good used big block clutch fork they would want to sell? Mine is usable and I was thinking of trying to repair the broken spring somehow but since it's right there I would like to fix it while I got it apart. Always something I guess......

VegasCharger

Quote from: timmycharger on May 30, 2017, 08:46:23 AM
Drove mine the furthest under its own power since 2002!  Did a 4 mile shakedown trip around town to work through some bugs and ensure things working properly.   Some conclusions/observations:

Distributor too far advanced I think (feels like it wants to keep running after shutting off engine)

Cool deal Mike!  :2thumbs:

That car has come along way. I'll never forget the first time I seen your car on my first internet pic search for 68 Chargers.

:cheers:

timmycharger

Quote from: VegasCharger on May 30, 2017, 05:49:51 PM
Quote from: timmycharger on May 30, 2017, 08:46:23 AM

Cool deal Mike!  :2thumbs:

That car has come along way. I'll never forget the first time I seen your car on my first internet pic search for 68 Chargers.

:cheers:

Thanks Bryan! Yes, it feels great to be at this point after all these years  :yesnod:

funknut

Chased an electrical issue to a bad starter relay and corrosion on the bulkhead connectors. Liberal application of electrical contact cleaner throughout the engine bay turned up a lot of black gunk.  Seems to fire up much quicker.

The fusible link bulkhead connection doesn't look terribly healthy, though.  Repairing/bypassing that and the ammeter bypass just jumped to the top of my todo list.

I also did an amateur alignment job to get the toe in the ballpark. Good enough to drive it to the shop for a proper alignment, or so I hope.  :icon_smile_big:

tsmithae

Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

JR

^Beautiful!

What color code is that? It looks kind of platnium on my monitor. It will be really neat with the color matched bumpers

JR

Edit: double post.

tsmithae

Thanks! That would be A4 Silver Poly. I am very anxious to get her together and see what she looks like complete.
Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

69wannabe

Got me some .050 shorter pushrods and they worked out good so far. The adjusters look to be about where they were to begin with and I got a clutch fork from amazon. It costed me more that I wanted to spend but I decided if they are discontinued and I can get one I am going to go ahead and get one. The fork came in friday so I put it in place and got the flywheel and clutch bolted up and crammed the engine back into the car. The only time I ever wish I had an automatic tranny is trying to get the transmission lined up with the clutch splines. After about an hour of working with it I finally got it to start into the clutch disc splines and got the bellhousing bolted to the engine. I believe if I have to do this again I will just pull the transmission out and then pull the engine or at least slide the transmission back and then work with it that way. With the manual transmission there seems to be no easy way to get it in there especially working alone.

Got both headers on it today and got it bolted back to the K frame. Almost got all the bottom bolted up so I can drop it down off the jack stands and finish everything else from the top. Got me a new battery cable from the starter up to the battery since the old one was looking pretty bad down where it bolts to the starter. Got to bolt up the collector's and hook up the clutch linkage and most of the bottom will be done.

Ordered a mancini racing waterpump housing kit friday so that should be here in a day or so. Has anybody used the mancini water pump housing's? I read where the 440 source one's are restrictive and cause the engine to run hot so I ordered the one from mancini with the high volume water pump and the billet water neck. Decided since I am going with the stealth heads it would also look good with the aluminum water pump housing too.

Still got some cleaning, painting and some minor wiring to fix up on but maybe by next weekend I will have it up and running I hope......