News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

US Car Tool Core Support Brace

Started by TexasStroker, August 28, 2012, 01:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rebby

Quote from: dangina on September 11, 2012, 04:13:33 PM
Quote from: rebby on September 11, 2012, 01:48:45 PM
Quote from: six-tee-nine on September 11, 2012, 11:49:46 AM
However I once read about a guy that put a lower rad support out of round tubing behind the original rad support thus giving it the extra strength but almost invisible from the front.
I might go that way if I have to fab something myself....
I've been considering that option myself. On that note, does anybody have any pics of one done this way? I'd like to go this route but my car is in so many pieces at the moment that I'm just not sure about clearance.

I did! works perfect and you can't see it from the front!

3 questions...

1 - What diameter of pipe did you use there?
2 - How much clearance between the bar and the stock radiator support?
3 - How much clearance between the bar and the nearest K-member component?

Thank you! My subframe connectors and torque boxes just showed up today so, with any luck, I'll be getting the support welded in sometime soon.
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

dangina

Quote from: rebby on September 11, 2012, 10:09:25 PM
Quote from: dangina on September 11, 2012, 04:13:33 PM
Quote from: rebby on September 11, 2012, 01:48:45 PM
Quote from: six-tee-nine on September 11, 2012, 11:49:46 AM
However I once read about a guy that put a lower rad support out of round tubing behind the original rad support thus giving it the extra strength but almost invisible from the front.
I might go that way if I have to fab something myself....
I've been considering that option myself. On that note, does anybody have any pics of one done this way? I'd like to go this route but my car is in so many pieces at the moment that I'm just not sure about clearance.

I did! works perfect and you can't see it from the front!

3 questions...

1 - What diameter of pipe did you use there?
2 - How much clearance between the bar and the stock radiator support?
3 - How much clearance between the bar and the nearest K-member component?

Thank you! My subframe connectors and torque boxes just showed up today so, with any luck, I'll be getting the support welded in sometime soon.

here they are:
1) 1.75" DOM 0.120 wall
2)&3) I'll let the pics do the talking, between the edge of k member to bar - about quarter inch, may cut the edges off when i go and weld up the kmember, between the strut bar and rad brace - about 1.5"

TexasStroker

Great stuff!  Thanks for the replies and pics.  I'm still drawing blanks over here finding anyone to bend square tubing.  I'll be ordering some parts for the M10 today, but when I get out to install them I'm going to rough out a few ideas on this one. 

Outside of fabbing my own the best idea I've got from the preceding posts is to go with the 11 gauge support and before installing it, have someone bend tubing to match it and hide behind it.  I also like the idea of discretely welding in loops for towing/trailering etc.

That "damaged" xv piece doesn't look too bad.  I got pics of them way back when, but the reduction was around $10...Again, my thoughts were that it wasn't much of a reduction to not just wait for the new batch, which was to be in later in the month (cough, year, cough next year).  Had I have been told I'd be looking at 18 months without the chance to buy a new, clean bent piece at full price I honestly probably would have taken the "defect."  At this point, I am still just burned out on the wait and will continue to pursue alternative options.  I can't say enough that it really is a great piece at a fair price...but you can't sell, what you don't have.

Chryslers in the Canyon is less than a month out and since I wouldn't have the time to get all the front end stuff done, I'll just hold out and continue the quest after the show.  Maybe someone here will have come up with a friend that cranks something out in small batches or something.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

matrout76

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on September 08, 2012, 02:11:21 PM
I'm using a piece I got from Auto Rust Technicians.  It is the same design as the original Mopar lower core support but made out of 11 gauge steel.  We just got it installed the other day and it really strengthened the front.  There is no give at all when pulling on that part now.  The original Mopar piece was flimsy as originally installed and kind of like a beer can after we removed it.  I don't know if it will end up making any difference but we also installed frame connectors and torque boxes and the body is very rigid now.   

do you have any photos of the ART lower core support?  How does it look compared to the factory one?

i was planning on making my own lower core support like the XV one.  instead of bending a square tube, i was going to have some laser-cut (flat) pieces made in the shape of the side radiuses.  I would cut out the sides out of the square tube leaving the inner piece and outer piece.  by hand (with some tools) i'd bend the inner piece to match the inside radius of the laser cut flat plate.  After it is tack-welded together, i was going to bend and tack the outter piece of the square tube to the outside radius.  with some properly prepped and beveled joints, and some sanding after welding, it would be pretty hard for someone to be able to tell it wasn't a single bent piece, and would be just as strong.

but, my lower core support is a little bent with some cracks and tears.  If i can start with the ART 11ga. piece and beef it up, that is probably the best way for me to go.