News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Soda Blast vs Sand Blast vs Acid dip????

Started by Mopar1979, October 18, 2012, 03:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar1979

I have a 69 Charger SE 383 4bbl that needs both rear quarters and a trunk pan. the rest of the car is pretty solid. I have heard everything you can think of from you cannot get rid of sand and too abrasive to warping metal on sandblasting to Soda blasting wont cut it good enough on rusty areas. i was also told not to dip because the acid still lurks under the joints for years to come and can cause trouble down the road. What should i use on this car?
thanks,
Shawn

JB400

First off, looks like you got a pretty decent car.  Very minimal rust.  Good score.  As far as which one to use, it's up to you.  The key is proper cleanup.  Sand blasting can and will warp panels.  That is why it's not recommended on large panels.  Soda blasting is just the same thing except it uses industrial grade baking soda instead of sand, slag, walnut shells, or glass beads.  You do need to spend a lot of time blowing out and vacumning out all the little nooks and crannies.  Dipping works just as well.  Best thing about dipping is it leaves all your panels intact even if they're really rusted.  Blasting will knock out your rusted panels.  But, you need to spend a lot of time rinsing off your car really super well or otherwise acid will weep through.  Choice is yours.  Good luck on your build :2thumbs:

Lennard

In my opinion it comes down to personal preference. Sand blasting doesn't always warp the metal, it CAN happen if the blaster doesn't know what he's doing. Soda blasting is more forgiving and is usually done when glass and moldings are still on the car since it doesn't hurt those.
There are several videos about it on YouTube.

Mopar1979

I will check out YouTube for info on soda blasting. I do want to get all of the original undercoating off this car and I know that might need to be done with some kind of paint remover or something. This car has all of the original panels on it. I will check the motor and see but I think everything matches!
Shawn

Lennard

The (factory) undercoating will not come of with any kind of media blasting.
The easiest way to get it of (in my opinion) is with an oscillating power tool with scraper blade.

The other issue with acid dipping is that it removes all the crud and stuff in the nooks and crannies that prevent rust. You can't necessarily protect all those areas afterwards which means seams and stuff are susceptable to rusting in the future.

tan top

depends how bad the body shell is !! 
acid dipping  has its good & bad points 
just the same as any type of blasting

would only Acid dip  if the car has had a fire   :Twocents:

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Mopar1979

Does that aircraft paint remover work on stuff like the rubber undercoating?

69fourspd

I have had good luck getting all the rubber undercoating off with a standard paint stripper.  It is messy, but once you leave it one 30 min. you can just scrape off with a plastic putty knife.  I had to do a few coats to get it clean off.  Once that was done I took mine for soda/media blasting.  Excellent results with no warped panels. 

Mopar1979

I think that sounds like a good idea. Did you have yours on a rotissere when you sent to blast?

FLG

If the undercoating is solid there is no need to touch it IMO.

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Chatt69chgr

I had my car blasted with crushed glass at "Blast from the Past" in Lebanon, TN.  Then sprayed with epoxy primer.  This gets all of the rust off including down into pits.  They also blasted the doors, trunk lid, hood, valance panel, and both front fenders.  Worked out just fine.  Even though he spent quite a bit of time using compressed air to blow the car out, stuff still came out later.  My body man spent another 1/2 day blowing out more stuff. 

Since this subject came up, I am going to paint the underside of my car body color so needed to remove all of the undercoating.  I used a small propane torch, flexible putty knife/old flat blade screwdrivers/etc, and large and small wire brushes.  Worked a small area at a time.  I removed the rear end and K-frame and installed casters putting the car about 23 inches off the garage floor.  It took me three weeks of evenings and weekends to get it done.  It's a dirty job but was something I could do myself and in my own time.  Also gave me a chance to carefully inspect the entire underbody of the car.  I'll be reinistalling the undercoating in the wheel wells only. 

I tried some chemical removers to get the undercoating off but the above method was the easiest.  The blasting folks said they could also blast the undercoating off for an extra $900.  Didn't learn this until later but still would have done it myself.

1970Moparmann

How much does blasting (media or sand) cost anyways for a typical car?  Might need to put this in a future budget.
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Chargen69

dip it, if i had it to do over, that is what i would do. as mentioned before, neither blasting get rid of crud.  we put a hose on the front of the frame rails and you wouldnt believe the crap that came out of the car.  I'd rather figure out a way to spray acid sealer down the frame holes than deal with getting the sand and crap out of every hole you could imagine

69fourspd

I didn't have the car on a rotisserie. I actually had it on two 4x6s. The wood was then attached to some large casters which made moving the car around easy. The blast company had a pit so they were able to get under the car.

Mopar1979

What is blast from the past phone number in tenn? What did it cost to blast?

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Chargen69 on October 20, 2012, 08:56:35 AM
dip it, if i had it to do over, that is what i would do. as mentioned before, neither blasting get rid of crud.  we put a hose on the front of the frame rails and you wouldnt believe the crap that came out of the car.  I'd rather figure out a way to spray acid sealer down the frame holes than deal with getting the sand and crap out of every hole you could imagine

So you just hose down the freshly dipped car? I would have thought that water on bare metal was a big no-no.  :shruggy:

Also, after dipping do you spray primer or sealer inside the frame rails or do they dip the car in primer?
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Chargen69

didnt dip it, mine was sand blasted, then acid etched, then primed. we hosed just the frame rails out after the metal on the body was secured.  I was saying that if i had it to do over again, after seeing all that crud come out, i would dip it and figure out some way to spray protection down the frame rails. that would be better to me than knowing my car is all done, except for all the areas you dont see.

Ghoste

There is something about dipping a car that just makes me really nervous.

Mike DC

People who have blasted a car usually wish they had dipped it.  And people who have dipped a car usually wish they had blasted it.  People never come out entirely happy with either method. 

There's one thing you can take to the bank:  Either method can ruin a car if not done properly.  Either one needs to be done by someone who specializes in using that method to strip cars.  Don't just go with someone who uses that stripping method for various industrial purposes and is willing to do your car.

Chatt69chgr

http://blastfromthepasttn.com/contact-blast-from-the-past-of-lebanon-tn.htm

Tel---615-453-3002

$1200 and I supplied the epoxy primer.  If I had to do it over, I'd let him supply that.  I think it was a couple of hundred extra if he supplied it.  I was a little concerned with panel warpage.  When I went by to talk to him initially, he had a car sitting ouside that he just finished.  It looked fine to me.  And mine came out fine too.  In fact, he told me that my unibody was one of the best three that he has ever blasted.  Their place isn't the prettiest or the cleanest but they worked with me and did a good job.  Helped me unload my car from the float, helped me load it, and also met me on a Sunday when they are normally closed.  Very nice and friendly folks and willing to work with me any way they could.  I recommend them.  They have been on tv on PowerBlock since they are pretty close to Nashville.  That's actually how I heard of them.

Although they said they spent 3 hours blowing crushed glass out of frame rails, rockers, etc., my body man spend anothr1/2 day doing the same thing.  And I'm sure that we even now don't really have all of it out.  But whats left I think I can live with. 

I have had my body man install weld in frame rails (that weld to the floor) and torque boxes.  Also installed a 11 gauge steel lower radiator support.  We put a steel tube through the drivers side frame rail to pass the emergency brake cable through.

I bought a kit of pieces to strengthen the K-frame and had them welded on plus added to the factory welding.  Then had it blasted and powdercoated.  You can lift the car from any corner now and there is no flex.   

Mopar1979

Do you have any pics after you got your car back? I am going to give them a call tomorrow. Thanks

charger_fan_4ever

For the exterior panels I would use a big electric grinder with 80 grit to "scuff it up" and a round orbidal sander to finish stipping it to bare metal.

Mini sand blast any speckles of rust on the sheet metal. If you have the option only sandblast where this is rust. To strip the under and top sides of the floor ect i'd soda blast.

Nacho-RT74

I haven't read all replies, but I have access to any of the three method to temove rust... acid will be the one I choose. Can reach all the areas like the sand or media won't ever get
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html