News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Graveyard Carz

Started by GYC Undertaker, December 10, 2012, 01:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

That is true. I can see how some shops might refuse to do a lesser quality job for the reason that their "name" is forever associated with the car. If the work is not great, it may deter future customers.

hemi-hampton

If your a shop that say's My Resto's all start at $100k + then you get all the guys (Lawyers, Doctors, ect) That want to pay that amount. SO, what about the guys that only have $10k or $50k or anything less then $100k. Where do they go? If a guy comes to me saying he's only got $50k to spend & I do it, The guy is happy & off he goes. But at the local car shows the experts will say looks like crap because it not 100% correct to OE Gold standards. SO, Now anybody doing a resto should charge $100k+ to OE gold standards or else they look bad? I don't think Mark W. charges anybody $100k. I'm sure there are guys in here that will say they can do 100% correct OE Gold Resto's in there Garage or shop for under $100k & some will probably say they can do it for $50K. Not unless you do all or most of the work yourself. Many people would think all it takes is $50k for perfection & OE gold winner. LEON.

moparnation74

Every episode he states that they"bring the car back just like the day it rolled off the assembly line."  Also, count how many times the "bring it back to OE" statement is used by them on the show.

As I and others have stated repeatedly, it is the claims being made and relayed to the general public.  In turn they believe they are the best and the turn out perfect examples just like the day they rolled out from the factory....I have heard the people in the public make those statements....

Do we not hold people accountable for what they state.....or do we just let it slide and diminish the reputation and accuracy of OE gold restorations.....

Most do not care because they may never own or build one but for the ones that own or build one it is unacceptable.....

TONY

In regards to the lower control arm.  Yes you're 100% correct about that lower control arm that GYC incorrectly restored. That was 4 or 5 years ago, and he has restored dozens of controls arms correctly since then, I'm sure you can find pics of those to post too to give the whole story.

Their work has definitely gotten much better and more correct over the years, because he cares and wanted to improve.

Yes, I have an interest in the show, but I'm not gonna come on here and post what I don't believe, I'd just be silent if that were the case

Has some subpar work left the shop in the past like that sublime 70 charger, yes? But Mark owned the mistake and offered to repair the car or pay for the repairs to be done, but the owner of the car choose to complain about it instead and eventually the car got repossessed from him. And btw, not an excuse, but all of the employees that worked on that car are no longer there, including the one who was supposed to be acting as a shop foreman and supposedly inspected the car during the repairs and after completion.

I also know for a fact, because I have been there when it's happened, that if a customer has picked up their car and has an issue with it Mark has either had a shop fix it or told the customer to have it fixed and send him the bill. Sometimes issues after the resto turn up, just as they do with brand new cars. But Mark takes care of them without making the customer to bring the car back to him for the repairs.

The last few years the work has been on par with most Mopar resto shops I've seen that aren't doing OE gold type work, and that's because that isn't the cliental that he has, those customers don't have and wouldn't be able to source the level of parts needed for an OE gold resto and they drive their cars.

Another issue is when Mark says he restores the cars to oe, he isn't referring to OE judging, he is referring to taking the cars back to original, not modified. OE has taken on a whole new meaning since OE judging came into play. OE only stands for original equipment, I don't see the repro parts company called OER getting hammered on regularly because of the name of their company

Mark also does something that I don't know of any shops that do. He gives a price before the restoration that includes parts, so it's an "all in" price. How many times have people brought their cars to resto shops with open ended billing that well exceeded the price they were led to believe the resto would cost? I think he should be commended on that point. Since when someone gets a price from his shop that's including all parts, when you're comparing his prices to other shops take that into consideration

As far as making statements like "we're the best" etc., remember it is TV and the networks want superlatives like that.

As far as not liking Marks persona, it may not be for everybody, but I think it's cool to have a Mopar only TV show that showcases the cars we're into and showcases them for the rest of the world to see,  which I know for sure has garnered much more interest in Mopars because of the show.

I'm sure what I posted can be dissected and other restos they did that there were shortcomings can be brought up, but I'm not going to engage in a back and forth

Disclaimer, I know I have improperly used the term restoration or resto, but it's just the accepted term,
All is good  :2thumbs:

Kern Dog

Tony, you make some good points. The interpretation of "Back to the way they were the day they were born" has been assumed that it meant cosmetically restored to appear visually the same. When you take it that way, it does look like TV bragging. If you take the statement to mean Original type parts, it sounds more truthful.
Thanks for popping in to help out.

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Kern Dog on March 23, 2017, 01:37:16 PM
If you take the statement to mean Original type parts, it sounds more truthful.

In the most recent episode Mark spent some time showing the differences in repop parts compared to factory. Most folks would never notice.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

moparnation74

Tony, I am chomping at the bit to dissect your post and point out many innacuracies but I just cannot do that to a friend :2thumbs:

It might be a good idea for the "Statement" maker to tone it down a bit.....Maybe state, "We do our best to restore Mopars"  When you add things to give it more flare then you pigeon hole yourself into sometime people will call you out to prove it......That is it....

ECS

Quote from: TONY on March 23, 2017, 09:48:08 AM
As far as making statements like "we're the best" etc., remember it is TV and the networks want superlatives like that.

He should think his work is the "best".  No one can fault any self respected, dedicated and hard working person for saying such.  I think Mark looks like he has a good time doing what he's doing and he's serving to the Industry in a positive way.  How many Auctions have we been at where OE claims were made as the Cars cross the stage?  Were they just lying and trying to mislead people?  I really don't think so.  There are MANY people who believe that what they are saying is true and their level of knowledge is relative to their perception.  Before anyone feels I'm calling anyone out, please know that I'm actually referring to myself.

For example, when I did my black 70 Cuda in 2005, I really thought that it represented a "Factory" restored vehicle.  Looking back, I was completely wrong in thinking such.  My level of knowledge at that time (or lack of) had me completely misinformed.  I'll even go as far to say that I would trade everything I don't know about Factory Cars right now, with what I currently know today.  There is so much to learn and absorb.  The finish line seems to move farther away when you think you're getting closer to the end of the race.  It certainly feels that way for me.  
TIME WILL INEVITABLY UNCOVER DISHONESTY AND LIES!

ECS

Quote from: moparnation74 on March 23, 2017, 09:37:19 PM
It might be a good idea for the "Statement" maker to tone it down a bit.....

For a moment there I thought you were talking to me!  Just kidding Justin......I'll call you later about some of the small parts we spoke about.  Thanks!  :2thumbs:
TIME WILL INEVITABLY UNCOVER DISHONESTY AND LIES!

cooldude

I can honestly say, that back when I was a teenage kid, we really had no idea what OEM really was, and small chance to find out. There was no internet back then, so all we had to go by was the cars themselves, and a few magazines, such as Moperformance. And that was pretty much it.

We thought that OEM meant "like new", or"stock type".

We thought that if a part went out on the car, or needed replacing, just go down to the Napa and buy the factory type part,and there you go. Its a part just like what the factory specs called for, so it must be stock, right?

Believe it or not, that was pretty much the standard of what a stock restoration was, back in the day.

Honestly, I aint lying. Thats how it was, back before anybody ever heard of Year One, or had an internet to look stuff up on.

billssuperbird

I like the show And the work they do.  :popcrn:

hemi68charger

Quote from: billssuperbird on March 24, 2017, 09:24:32 AM
I like the show And the work they do.  :popcrn:

I will echo that............

I helped Mark during Tom's Daytona resto supplying copious amounts of pictures of my original sheetmetal Daytona. Mark was very appreciative and we talked on the phone for nearly an hour. It is amazing how long I can talk on the phone about Mopars... My wife points out I state I don't like talking on the phone,,,, But, when it comes to Mopars...... Nuff said...

As Tony has eluded to, Mark and the gang are always open to learning more accurate ways about doing things... He didn't get offended when I pointed out the lower control arms had the improper cosmoline treatment... And from that point it seems, he doesn't them correctly.

Then, I'm sure there is, the wishes of the customer. At the end of the day, it is the way the customer wants his/her car restored. I'm sure Mark would provide guidance on a project, but at the end of the day, it is up to the customer..

He seems to be enjoying himself..... And in all honesty, if I was in a financial situation where I didn't have to work for a living/medical benefits/retirement, I'd suggest opening a Mid-America version of GYC's..... I would love to do what he does.......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Charger-Bodie

I just watched the reveal episode of the fantom cuda. What a joke. Do they really think people are stupid enough to think this car was saved. This is worse than a rebody. It's worse than a clone it's basically like 2% of the original body . At least be honest and say that they build a car from dust.

To brag that this car wasn't re-bodied is blasphemy.

A spades a spade.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Kern Dog

That episode was originally aired in MAY. Where have YOU been ?   :smilielol:
I agree though. When you replace as much metal as they did, it is hard to swallow the claims that it is not a REbody job.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Kern Dog on November 05, 2017, 01:51:31 PM
I agree though. When you replace as much metal as they did, it is hard to swallow the claims that it is not a REbody job.

Yeah. I'm not a huge fan of the show,so I don't generally record them. I saw that this one was about the fantom so I tuned in.

Overall i think the work they do has improved. Mark annoys the crap out of me with his antics,but the rest are ok. 

But for this car to have evolved into a show because of his desire to show that it wouldn't be rebodied ,just to rebody it just sucks. Especially when they didn't even to the rebody themselves.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

moparstuart

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on November 05, 2017, 02:23:30 PM
Quote from: Kern Dog on November 05, 2017, 01:51:31 PM

Yeah. I'm not a huge fan of the show,so I don't generally record them. I saw that this one was about the fantom so I tuned in.

Overall i think the work they do has improved. Mark annoys the crap out of me with his antics,but the rest are ok. 

But for this car to have evolved into a show because of his desire to show that it wouldn't be rebodied ,just to rebody it just sucks. Especially when they didn't even to the rebody themselves.
Yeah he ships it off for someone else to do the metal work , then he doesnt have to show it getting rebodies and can play dumb about it . 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Vegas_Nick

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on November 05, 2017, 09:53:56 AM
I just watched the reveal episode of the fantom cuda. What a joke. Do they really think people are stupid enough to think this car was saved. This is worse than a rebody. It's worse than a clone it's basically like 2% of the original body . At least be honest and say that they build a car from dust.

A spades a spade.

And that spade has infinitely more money than anyone here.  :yesnod: :yesnod: And a TV show. He found a niche and ran with it.

Kern Dog

We all know that there are many types of people out there with a wide variety of personalities. When I read of or hear from people that criticize Mark's actions or antics, I sometimes wonder how BORING those critics must be to hang out with.
I would much rather have fun and laugh with a friend than to play chess or talk about engine specs. Mark interjects movie quotes in his act and it is rare that I don't get it...I do find some of his stuff silly but most of it I do like. I am the guy on the job that plays games with others. It loosens the tension between people and gets laughs. I am no comedian, I just love seeing people have a good time. The show is not perfect but it is entertaining.

JB400

I like jokes just as much as the next guy, but too much of a good thing makes Mark more of a nuisance than a jokester.  If you want a good TV show that models education as well as jokes and entertainment, than I'd suggest watching Tanked.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Vegas_Nick on November 05, 2017, 03:26:09 PM

A spades a spade.

And that spade has infinitely more money than anyone here.  :yesnod: :yesnod: And a TV show. He found a niche and ran with it.

Does the fact that he has money make it ok?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Kern Dog on November 05, 2017, 03:38:25 PM
We all know that there are many types of people out there with a wide variety of personalities. When I read of or hear from people that criticize Mark's actions or antics, I sometimes wonder how BORING those critics must be to hang out with.
I would much rather have fun and laugh with a friend than to play chess or talk about engine specs. Mark interjects movie quotes in his act and it is rare that I don't get it...I do find some of his stuff silly but most of it I do like. I am the guy on the job that plays games with others. It loosens the tension between people and gets laughs. I am no comedian, I just love seeing people have a good time. The show is not perfect but it is entertaining.

I totally hear ya about having fun with your day, but the way he acts obviously makes the people around him uncomfortable. That's the line that need not be crossed.

Kern Dog

Maybe....maybe that is his point though. Personally I like saying or doing things that make people a bit uncomfortable just to see their faces. It is cheap entertainment. I don't mind when it is done to me.

Mopar Nut

That's kinky Greg.   :icon_smile_big:
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

cdr

Quote from: Vegas_Nick on November 05, 2017, 03:26:09 PM

A spades a spade.

And that spade has infinitely more money than anyone here.  :yesnod: :yesnod: And a TV show. He found a niche and ran with it.

LMAO!!! Yep because, money & fame is everything .
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr