News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

gas gauge wont work

Started by bobbyribby, January 20, 2013, 04:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbyribby

i have a  69 charger  with a  new sending unit  and a  new  gas  gauge all new  wiring as  well, bought it all  from classic IND,so the  wiring was  with the  rear light  Assembly , i get no reading on  my  gas gauge  i tried puling  the  wire off the sending unit and  grounding it out to the  body  and  the gauge didn't move  at all, stays all the way past empty.

jaak

Either there is a break in continuity from the blue wire running from the cluster connector to the where it connects to the rear body harness, or a bad circuit board on cluster. If those 2 check out ok, I would think its a faulty gauge, even though its new. First thing I would check is continuity...pull the connector from cluster, then unplug the rear body harness (near kickpanel) and check continuity on the blue wire.

Jason

Patronus

Just making sure you have a grounding strap?
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

rt green

third string oil changer

rt green

third string oil changer

johnnyseville

Guy at Performance Graphics once told me most of the sending units around are not good, he suggested a company in Canada that makes them, don't recall who, but you may want to call them to find out if you still have not solved the problem.
too many to list!

bobbyribby

yes theirs a lot of  gas in it lol  and  there is a ground  strap to

jaak

Quote from: bobbyribby on January 20, 2013, 05:43:00 PM
yes theirs a lot of  gas in it lol  and  there is a ground  strap to

If the gauge doesn't move when grounding the sender wire, you've either got... 1. a break in the blue wire somewhere. 2. May have a problem with the printed circuit board on cluster, or 3. A gauge that doesn't work. Just some things to check.

Jason

bobbyribby

ok thanks i will look in the morning

jaak

Quote from: bobbyribby on January 20, 2013, 07:51:06 PM
ok thanks i will look in the morning

Keep us posted....we'll help you figure it out  :2thumbs:

Jason

Dino

Hook up a AA battery to the gauge and see if it moves, if it does you can rule out a bad gauge.  If you hook up two batteries in series, the needle should show roughly half a tank.

Did you replace the voltage limiter with a solid state version?  If not, make it a priority. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.