News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 R/T Restoration

Started by xs29bb1, February 09, 2013, 08:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xs29bb1

Back and forth today w/ football and Charger pics...

Here are some of the car during initial priming and sharpening of the lines on the driver's side

xs29bb1

A few more:

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

xs29bb1

Hi Mopar Nut.  Yeah, I've been extremely happy w/ the way it's going.  What car(s) do you have?

xs29bb1

Here's some interesting photos... grinding the dutchman, you can see the orange color the car used to be.  The owner before me bought the car 4-5 years ago almost exactly as I bought it from him.  He intended to restore it, but never got around to it and I think he ultimately decided the job was too big for the amount of time he wanted to put into it.  The owners before him had the car for about 30 years prior to that.  They either painted the car orange or bought it that way in the late 70s. 

Mopar Nut

I have a 69 Charger now, but I had 68 last year.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

xs29bb1

JB400

Mopar Nut

The 68 was a was a shell with a 440 motor (originally 318), tranny and four tires. It really needed a lot of work with all the rust.  

I tried to post some pictures.

tan top

looking good  , nice job   :cheers: :yesnod: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

xs29bb1

Here's the start of the polyester primer.  It was debated whether or not it was really necessary, but in the end the "I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it" philosophy won out

xs29bb1

Showing the driver's side from beginning to end:

xs29bb1

Continued

xs29bb1

Last couple

Homerr

It feels good whenever I see a shell in a uniform primer color (well, mostly in this case) after getting through the bodywork - knowing that the most difficult part is coming to an end.

xs29bb1

The whole process took about 4-5 months.  Unfortunately, there was just a whole lot more wrong w/ the metal than we originally thought.  Both wheel wells in the back were chopped up, the left quarter looked very different than the right up close.  (like it was from a different B-body car or something).  The patchwork in the floor was bad (same w/ the trunk floor)

Surprisingly the best metal on the car was the dutchman in the back.

Well, it does look a helluva lot better now than it did then.

Mopar Nut

xs29bb1

This evening (Pacific time) I'll have some photos of a freshly painted black Charger shell!  We did a double dip on the paint consisting of 4 coats of black, 3 coats of clear - let her sit for about two weeks - and then 4 more coats of clear.

I'm thrilled with the way it turned out! 

fy469rtse

good job, looks great , I cant believe that Dutchman panel was in such good shape, they are always rusty there, at least to the window frame seal  :2thumbs:

xs29bb1

I have several photos of the finished paint (including the clear).  A little difficult due to 1) mix of sun and shade 2) taken w/ a phone, and 3) a ton of reflection, but they're still OK as a first pass.

I've got more of the car in the paint booth, and I'll post some of them in a day or two, but I wanted to get at least one photo of the finished job to show what she looks like.  Unfortunately life is getting in the way tonight, so I'll just load/resize/rename one for today.  Hope to get it done in a little bit.

Cheers!

xs29bb1

OK, I've got one -

I'd post more, but driving our son up to college tomorrow at the crack of dawn (only 10 friggin' hours - one way!) and we've got things to do.

My wife calls it "priorities".

Coming up in a minute...

xs29bb1

I'll post more when I can... got the trip up to Oregon in the morning.

.... nothing more sinister than the lines on a Charger... especially in black IMO.

Mopar Nut

Looking real nice, well done.
:popcrn:

fy469rtse

:2thumbs: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: now that's hot , shit wish I had painted mine black now

PlainfieldCharger

:drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: What a transformation!! Great Job... :2thumbs: