News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

For Sale By Owner / For Sale By Others

Started by Homerr, September 16, 2013, 07:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homerr

Can the 'eBay Ads' and 'Cars For Sale' forum names be changed?  Cars for sale gets gummed up with Craigslist, etc. ads since they are not eBay - but then there is no discussion allowed.  eBay ads allows discussion but the forum title is limiting.  The various for sale ads are spilling over in to the main Charger Discussion forum.

Here is a simple solution:

'For Sale By Owner' would be members selling their own cars, no discussion.

'For Sale By Others' would be an ad post by anyone on anything other than their own car - Ebay, Craigslist, etc., etc. with discussion allowed.

Budnicks

"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Troy

Only eBay ads go in the eBay section. This is because they are short lived and become obsolete in a very short amount of time. If everything works right, they should be cleaned out after about 2 weeks. ***I don't have time to read and validate all the ads so it's just a "blanket" delete.***

The ads in the other sections typically have a longer life span so they get wiped out about every couple of months. I'll generally comb through them looking for ads that are still valid - or remove sold items sooner than the time out. If I combine the sections it's a LOT more work from an administrative standpoint.

The Craigslist ads are the oddballs. The poster is typically not the owner and can't answer any questions. What discussion needs to take place? A link is really all that's necessary. The ads may or may not last longer than eBay. Hard to tell without constantly validating the link. In general, since they don't have a time limit I leave the posts around longer.

Anything worthy of discussion should go in one of the discussion boards (like it says in the "sticky" post at the top of all the Classified sections). If it's a blatant For Sale ad (for your own stuff) then it gets moved.

Honestly, there isn't enough traffic in the Classifieds to justify any more boards or any more time to be spent on them. The only reason they still exist is because I disabled replies to cut down on the idiocy.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Budnicks

Quote from: Troy on September 17, 2013, 10:39:32 AM
Only eBay ads go in the eBay section. This is because they are short lived and become obsolete in a very short amount of time. If everything works right, they should be cleaned out after about 2 weeks. ***I don't have time to read and validate all the ads so it's just a "blanket" delete.***

The ads in the other sections typically have a longer life span so they get wiped out about every couple of months. I'll generally comb through them looking for ads that are still valid - or remove sold items sooner than the time out. If I combine the sections it's a LOT more work from an administrative standpoint.

The Craigslist ads are the oddballs. The poster is typically not the owner and can't answer any questions. What discussion needs to take place? A link is really all that's necessary. The ads may or may not last longer than eBay. Hard to tell without constantly validating the link. In general, since they don't have a time limit I leave the posts around longer.

Anything worthy of discussion should go in one of the discussion boards (like it says in the "sticky" post at the top of all the Classified sections). If it's a blatant For Sale ad (for your own stuff) then it gets moved.

Honestly, there isn't enough traffic in the Classifieds to justify any more boards or any more time to be spent on them. The only reason they still exist is because I disabled replies to cut down on the idiocy.

Troy

:2thumbs: Thanks for the explanation  :2thumbs:
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks