News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

4 days with a brand new challenger

Started by 1BAD68, November 14, 2013, 11:21:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1BAD68

So my wife and I are in Florida and when we got to the rental car station we see a black dodge challenger.
She asks how much to upgrade? $11.00 a day extra for a challenger so obviously we take it. We get in and it's a 2014 with 156 miles on the odometer.
Long story short and now 400 and some miles on the odometer, this is an awesome ride. Very comfortable, lots of power, incredibly stable, awesome brakes, etc. I want to go to a dealership and get one.

myk

"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

bull

I doubt it. It's very difficult to get a V8 in a rental car these days.

6spd68

Quote from: bull on November 14, 2013, 11:55:31 AM
I doubt it. It's very difficult to get a V8 in a rental car these days.

Avis ONLY rents out the R/T in Canada...
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

Finn

I rented an R/T in from Avis in MI. Great car.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

bull

Avis, huh? I'll have to remember that. A friend of mine went for a trip recently and wanted a Chrysler 300 but the only engine he could get was a V6. My last rental was an Avenger with an anemic 4 cyl.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Finn on November 14, 2013, 01:36:04 PM
I rented an R/T in from Avis in MI. Great car.

I bought my R/T 3 1/2 years ago & it is a great riding car with decent power and gas melieage. However, if they made it in 7/8 scale and shaved off a quarter ton, it would be an even better car.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: bull on November 14, 2013, 01:49:04 PM
Avis, huh? I'll have to remember that. A friend of mine went for a trip recently and wanted a Chrysler 300 but the only engine he could get was a V6. My last rental was an Avenger with an anemic 4 cyl.

The avenger is a charger but just not grown up yet lol

bull

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on November 14, 2013, 03:15:54 PM
Quote from: bull on November 14, 2013, 01:49:04 PM

The avenger is a charger but just not grown up yet lol

Not exactly. The new "Charger" isn't really a Charger either so the Avenger isn't what I'd call a Jr. Charger. :popcrn:

6spd68

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on November 14, 2013, 02:07:00 PM
I bought my R/T 3 1/2 years ago & it is a great riding car with decent power and gas melieage. However, if they made it in 7/8 scale and shaved off a quarter ton, it would be an even better car.

That's why I personally like the new 5.0 Mustang better.  It feels just as you describe; that little bit smaller, and lighter.
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

ws23rt

Quote from: 6spd68 on November 14, 2013, 04:53:18 PM

That's why I personally like the new 5.0 Mustang better.  It feels just as you describe; that little bit smaller, and lighter.

I rented a mustang a couple of years ago.  It is a nice driving car and comfortable.
The down side for me is it was a chore to get in and out of it.  (Made for little people)

I have 14k on my Challenger and still like it for what it is. Good long distance comfort and will perform beyond what I'm willing to put it through.
It also has what I think is a lasting good look that all seem to appreciate. :Twocents:

Mytur Binsdirti

And that's why I bought this thing 2 weeks ago.        :icon_smile_big:        444 hp in a 3,600 lb car is a lot of fun.    :yesnod:

Fred

You guys make me sick  :slap:  with your gorgeous modern cars. So readily available to you.  :icon_smile_big:

Those things cost a kings ransom over here.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

ws23rt

Quote from: Fred on November 14, 2013, 08:05:07 PM
You guys make me sick  :slap:  with your gorgeous modern cars. So readily available to you.  :icon_smile_big:

You have a king over there too? :lol:   Things are costing more and more here because of our king/dictator

Fred

Quote from: ws23rt on November 14, 2013, 08:15:49 PM
Quote from: Fred on November 14, 2013, 08:05:07 PM
You guys make me sick  :slap:  with your gorgeous modern cars. So readily available to you.  :icon_smile_big:

You have a king over there too? :lol:   Things are costing more and more here because of our king/dictator

No we don't........if we did, I'd rob him  :lol:

69bronzeT5

You won't regret buying a Challenger. I LOVE my 2008 SRT-8 :)

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Fred

myk

Yup-for a modest fee I could've upgraded my rental with Avis in 'Vegas to a new 5.0, Z28 or R/T.  I REFUSED because I knew if I so much as sat in one of those things I'd be obsessed with buying one of them...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

chargerboy69

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on November 14, 2013, 07:27:00 PM

And that's why I bought this thing 2 weeks ago.        :icon_smile_big:        444 hp in a 3,600 lb car is a lot of fun.    :yesnod:

Very nice. . . . I would snag one of those over a new Challenger anyday.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

SRT-440

I bought a 2012 SRT8 Challenger back in August and it's an amazing car...adjustable suspension, awesome brakes, tons of power...yea it's a little hefty, but that's what gives it the old school feel in my opinion. The 392 is a powerful motor...unfortunatly the computer keeps a tight gripe on it...my custom tune is on the way and that will change everything.
Performance wise its really a fast car...can click off mid-low 12's with a decent driver (read:traction) and the ESP engaged...and I'm pretty familiar with fast cars, it's stable mate is a 10.90 Buick GN.

Mustangs are nice also and much lighter...it just comes down to which u like better...
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

XS29LA47V21

Ref for someone thinking of buying, I have personal knowledge of a 2013 392 Challenger with 22k mile, consistently hammered, truly daily driven, consistently getting 18.5-19.6mpg and seen 23mpg on long tame road trips.

Not to shabby for a 470hp car... :Twocents:

SRT-440

Quote from: XS29LA47V21 on November 15, 2013, 08:51:59 AM
Ref for someone thinking of buying, I have personal knowledge of a 2013 392 Challenger with 22k mile, consistently hammered, truly daily driven, consistently getting 18.5-19.6mpg and seen 23mpg on long tame road trips.

Not to shabby for a 470hp car... :Twocents:

I can vouch for that...one the freeway if u can keep it in "ECO" mode (4 cylinders) u can squeeze out a little better than 23mpg...it's just hard to keep ur foot out of it.  :2thumbs:
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

1BAD68

This was just a base model challenger I'm sure but it was quick and very agile. My 68 charger is much faster but my eyes have been opened to modern technology.
A couple times I really pushed it to close to its limit on an onramp, and it just hugs the ground virtually no body roll.
The seats are extremely comfy. About the only thing that I didn't like but got used to pretty quick was the roof, it comes down a bit too far and obstructs view a little.

MrSnicks

I love the look.. they did a great job capturing the look of the old classic Challengers  (unlike the new 4 door Charger.. wth?)  I was all set to pull the trigger on one of these... until I tried it on..... Does not fiet well if you're 6' 10".  Would'nt have been able to steer and clutch out on a manual... I tried on an automatic but as the previous poster mentioned my head and eyes were up over the windshield and door glass.. Almost couldn't reach the steering wheel when I had the seat reclined enough to get my head out of the roof.

Patrick

odcics2

Did you have the telescopic wheel pulled back?   :shruggy:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?