News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2nd Gen Dash installation...can it all go in as one assembly?

Started by AKcharger, December 24, 2013, 03:28:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

When I did my original resto back in 2002/2003 I took the dash out and put it back in piece by piece. My question is could it all be assembled (Wires, gauges, ducts ect.) on a jig and installed as one unit in the car? Man that would be a LOT easier to work on!

John L

Quote from: AKcharger on December 24, 2013, 03:28:22 AM
When I did my original resto back in 2002/2003 I took the dash out and put it back in piece by piece. My question is could it all be assembled (Wires, gauges, ducts ect.) on a jig and installed as one unit in the car? Man that would be a LOT easier to work on!

Yes, you can build a simple jig from 2x6's.

John

Ghoste

bill440rt

I assembled mine on a table & bolted the whole thing in.   :yesnod:
In hindsight, I should have left the glove box liner out as I had to make a few connections to the aftermarket A/C unit from the back.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Ghoste

Hmm, now I have to wonder if the liners were left out until after installation at the factory as well.  :scratchchin:

AKcharger

Quote from: bill440rt on December 24, 2013, 03:43:23 PM
I assembled mine on a table & bolted the whole thing in.   :yesnod:
In hindsight, I should have left the glove box liner out as I had to make a few connections to the aftermarket A/C unit from the back.

Oh! good tip! OK Thanks Guys!

timmycharger

This pic is from a few weeks ago, but mine is just about ready to go in as one piece! cant wait.  :2thumbs:

AKcharger

EXACTLY Timmy...please do a step by step with photos, would be very appreciated  :cheers:

Ghoste

It looks good there and yes, please make photo journal of the process.

timmycharger

Here are a few shots of the dash right before its going in. Ive got all the hot wires on the black stud of the ammeters going to the amp, and headlight relay, and grommets ready to go on the firewall.  I hooked up a battery to it and tested all the lights. The wires are a mess as I had them loose when double checking and adding conductive grease to the plugs. Note the octopus tubes, Im running an aftermarket a/c set up from classic auto air through the factory vents. Keen eye will spot the shift light peeking thru the bullseye medallion. The module is in the glove box.  The tach should be accurate, it was just updated and calibrated by autoinstruments.com.

timmycharger

timmycharger

timmycharger

timmycharger

timmycharger

timmycharger

timmycharger

timmycharger

last one, ready for the dash. Ill post pics of the install hopefully next weekend.

AKcharger

Priceless! that is the way to go! nice and open, can work on it easy enough and do it right...bravo!

Would also be interested in pic of the jig you used to hold the dash.

timmycharger

The dash install went well today. Worked out good having 2 extra people to help get it in the car. Once it was close, we used cardboard boxes to prop it up and gave me enough space to get the tubes in and plug in everything. Boy this thing was heavy!  :cheers:

timmycharger

timmycharger

timmycharger

timmycharger

timmycharger

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

flyboyedwards

Wow that looks great! Can you give us the dimensions of the 2X6 jig?
Thanks!

AKcharger

NHCharger

Bill, I installed my dash in one piece as timmycharger did. Didn't take as many pics as he did. I have a few posted on my resto thread, they're on page 4.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95536.75.html
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

sanders7981

Excellent work!  Posting to find later.... Should be at this stage VERY soon. 

white

Timmy charger is that a aftermarket ac unit? I am asking because I am at a crossroad with my charger which has ac but have been thinking about putting in a aftermarket unit verses the work of trying to get the original working. Thanks For any info you can give me.

PlainfieldCharger

That dash is sweet. I always thought that moving the dash with the bezels in place could crack them :shruggy: :eek2:

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

timmycharger

Quote from: tan top on February 24, 2014, 04:48:24 PM
:2thumbs:   nice job  :cheers:

Thanks! Yes, that's a classic auto air setup. The kit came with the pods that mount under the dash, but I just found some originals and cut the holes in my dash on the sides and used an original a/c center bezel, bought some length of tube to make it all reach.  The unit I have is made for cars that didn't have AC originally, so it uses the selector for a car without AC, so if you were going that route, you may need a non ac one.

Al

thanks for sharing and taking the time to document the installation with pix

:2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger, 383, UU1