News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best steel parts made.. ERIK NELSON

Started by graybo, December 30, 2013, 01:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAY CLONA

Quote from: panhead on January 18, 2014, 03:34:43 PM
Quote from: DonC1 on January 17, 2014, 10:59:30 PM
What gauge steel is that?
Looks like you welded the U groove into the piece...?

I made mine in 18 gauge, same gauge as the real one. I did weld in the grooves,my roller won't make that tigh of a turn.

Curt

Curt, if your using a roller to make some of your shapes on that Z bar, I salute you! cause 18 gauge is tough, I make my bars in 18 gauge also, (.047 thick) although the originals I measured at times were more like 16 gauge (.059) but with any thing mopar, esp wingcar, I'm sure there where variations...on my bars, I press in the Popsicle stick depression and the lower jogged edge with steel die plates that I made, the overall shape/curves/edges are then made on a rather elaborate wooden buck that I "cork" (hammer and dolly with an oak punch) the Z bar onto, once the metal is tightly formed onto the buck, then it's to shape, then the buck is broken down, and is reversible to fabricate the other side, this way all my Z bars are the same, one after another, left to right, it takes about 16 hrs to make a set, they are 1 pc as original, the only weldment is the front directional plate added...

The lower pic of Zbars does not incorporated the popsicle stick depression or the lower edge lip for the C frames, this is a repro of the "Crash Bar" that was offered into the mid 70's by Chrysler for crash parts, hence the part listing as "Crash Bar"

Mike

DAY CLONA

For those that don't know what "corking" metal is, it's an old school art of metalworking, you make a wooden buck/shape of the item desired in metal, the metal gets clamped/affixed to the wooden buck, then you direct blows from a hammer onto an oak fixture known as a "cork", this softens the hammer/dolly effect, it's a slow drawn out procedure that take's some practice to master, in order to achieve the shapes/edges/impressions you desire, this how the early coach builders made automobile body parts

moparguy01

I'm very surprised to see you cork that. I thought it was a lost art. Nicely done!  :2thumbs:

Redbird

Curt and Mike, both very well done. The pictures tell very interesting stories. Besides a nosecone shell and latch tray, I would think the z brace would be one of the more difficult parts to fabricate and they are quite visible from the sides.

I would guess that more latch trays have survived since they would be ruined in accidents, where z braces were ruined by accidents and rust. Then again latch trays got chromed.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: moparguy01 on January 18, 2014, 10:52:34 PM
I'm very surprised to see you cork that. I thought it was a lost art. Nicely done!  :2thumbs:

Thanks for the compliment! I pretty much "cork" everything I make in steel/aluminum/brass/etc it was the trade I was shown, my skills on the English Wheel are limited, as are they on a roller, corkings great for one off pieces, but a production demand puts a strain on one's physical stamina to hammer away for hours on end, day after day....I ain't getting any younger! :icon_smile_big: over the years I've tried to move into more die making to make the parts more repetitively.....

My lower valance is a combo of die work and corking

Mike

panhead

69' Dodge Charger 500
69' Dodge Daytona "Replica"

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: DAY CLONA on January 19, 2014, 11:54:49 AM
Quote from: moparguy01 on January 18, 2014, 10:52:34 PM
I'm very surprised to see you cork that. I thought it was a lost art. Nicely done!  :2thumbs:

Thanks for the compliment! I pretty much "cork" everything I make in steel/aluminum/brass/etc it was the trade I was shown, my skills on the English Wheel are limited, as are they on a roller, corkings great for one off pieces, but a production demand puts a strain on one's physical stamina to hammer away for hours on end, day after day....I ain't getting any younger! :icon_smile_big: over the years I've tried to move into more die making to make the parts more repetitively.....

My lower valance is a combo of die work and corking

Mike

That car looks familiar.....  :scratchchin:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

DAY CLONA

[/quote]

I "pirated" your pic there Brian :icon_smile_big: every Daytona clone has a little Dayclona on it...somewhere :scratchchin:

Mike

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: DAY CLONA on January 19, 2014, 11:13:36 PM

I "pirated" your pic there Brian :icon_smile_big: every Daytona clone has a little Dayclona on it...somewhere :scratchchin:

Mike
[/quote]

That is likely true. The one I built did,nice parts too. Along with top notch tech advice.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

NWHILLBILLY

Just rec'd in the mail from Erik Nelson from Minnesota the A-pillar stainless trim for a 1969 Daytona Charger and 1970 Superbird. I've compared them to original trim pieces and find the fit and finish to be nicer than the originals. I would highly recommend getting ahold of this guy if you are restoring/reproducing a wing car. The stuff I've gotten from him is really nice unlike some other stuff that's out there.  From experience I know how hard it is to find good reputable people so I thought I'd share this info with you all.

bakerhillpins

For those that find this and want his contact info here is another thread with it and comments/images of his stuff.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=107198.0
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

daytonalo

Not what I have heard and seen !!!

Not my post
Everything I (eventually...seven months after Erik Nelson got my money) looked and fit like it was made by a drunk, blind, dyslexic monkey.

Cracked bondo on a "new" part ?

Never again... rotz

DonC1

I give credit to everyone that's made these parts in steel or attempted to. They're not easy to make. The Z bars alone with all their fold lines and stepped edges etc- that's a very involved piece to build from scratch.

500Jon

Hi AeroFolks,

Different standards for different Folks methinks?
If you are building a clone, then standards aren't gonna be 'SHOW STANDARD'!!!
I Have fitted new and original Daytona/Superbird parts and its 'hit and miss' every time.
We should only worry about the thngs you can see, especially on Clone cars.

Having worked on several 'Aerocars' there are marked differances even with Creative parts.
One that springs to mind is the lower 'window-plug' curvature (on the lower part of the window).
The curve on my December built 500 was 1/2'' less(lower) than an early Daytona one that I used in its place!
Which one is right???

BOTH ARE lol  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

500JoN
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

DAY CLONA

[quote ]
If you are building a clone, then standards aren't gonna be 'SHOW STANDARD'!!!
We should only worry about the thngs you can see, especially on Clone cars.

500JoN
[/quote]

Any true craftsman/car crafter will be observant of all details, seen or hidden, that's what defines quality in a build, generally I'm at fault for bringing a "clone car" to a much higher standard(the kind of standard that borders on insanity) of finish than that of an OEM resto where factory error/fault is actually preserved :cheers:

Mike   

500Jon

Nice collection of Aero's there Day-Clona!
Looks like you 'enjoy' a bit of fresh Air around your 'Barnet' with all those sunrooves LoL.

Some Folks have very high Standards, but they never get much done as they try to 'Guild the Lily'!
Rolls Royce and Bentleys are hand built masterpieces of cars.
Most 60's/70's production-line cars are throw together at best.

Most Folks just wanna drive their Mopars, not hide them in garages and take them to Shows only.
So a lower 'Standard' is better for 'Daily Drivers'. :cheers:

So chill-out Guys and let Folks be happy with their lower Standards! :2thumbs:

500JoN
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

MBD_2000

Hi All

I have not been out here in some time but thought I would pass along my comments on Erik Nelson's parts.  I have used then on 3 wing cars now in various forms and have not had a issue with fit or quality.  He has always delivered what he said he would on time and in the original quote.  He has been more than fair on price and delivery.
I have found his parts to top notch  :cheers:

daytonalo

Amazing how we here " HE HAS THE BEST PARTS "  posts from these new under 5 post members ?? 
Here is what I have read and seen in person .

Not my post
Everything I (eventually...seven months after he got my money) got from him looked and fit like it was made by a drunk, blind, dyslexic monkey.

Never again... rotz

panhead

Any true craftsman/car crafter will be observant of all details, seen or hidden, that's what defines quality in a build, generally I'm at fault for bringing a "clone car" to a much higher standard(the kind of standard that borders on insanity) of finish than that of an OEM resto where factory error/fault is actually preserved

Mike   

I agree with Mike's statement above, as I'm the same way. That's way I trashed my first nose cone and the second one is hanging on the wall. If it isn't right I'll do it again until it's right.

Curt
69' Dodge Charger 500
69' Dodge Daytona "Replica"

odcics2

The level of quality depends on the degree of restoration, or over restoration.
For OEM level, you'd want the OEM look, flaws and all.   :Twocents:

My wing will retain all the dips, waves and pits it had from Day 1. 
The castings are rough, to say the least!
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

daytonalo

Not my post
Everything I (eventually...seven months after Erik Nelson got my money) looked and fit like it was made by a drunk, blind, dyslexic monkey.

Never again... rotz

472 R/T SE

Troy, the owner of the site, doesn't (or at least used to not) like members' having multiple usernames'.

xs29j8Bullitt

The author(s) of the posts claiming Erik Nelson's (or anyone  else's) "perfection" in building wing car reproduction parts should post pictures on the thread clearly showing this claim is believable... side by side photos would be even more convincing!  How about a "showdown" of Aero Car reporo vendors  at the next national level meet?  The vendors or their reps could be given time & space to display their wares, and side-by-side comparisons made...  Photos a-plenty could be made....  :Twocents:  :shruggy:
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

daytonalo

All repro parts have flaws , were not the OEM with deep pockets with unlimited budgets for tooling . The ONLY problem I have are these jackasses with 2-5 posts and NEVER have contributed here stating his is he best . I have had his parts in my hands and was not impressed . The parts were bought by another vendor and I juat had to see them .

FYI EK doesn't make anything , he subs it out .  

Not my post

Never again... rotz

DAY CLONA

[quote
All repro parts have flaws , were not the OEM with deep pockets with unlimited budgets for tooling . The ONLY problem I have are these jackasses with 2-5 posts and NEVER have contributed here stating his is he best . I have had his parts in my hands and was not impressed . The parts were bought by another vendor and I juat had to see them .

FYI EK doesn't make anything , he subs it out .  

Not my post

Never again... rotz
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Larry, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, a few years back on this site the "great debate" was fiberglass vs steel components, I'd extol the virtues of having steel components (not just for correctness, but commonsense for structural or motion activated parts) and of course there were those singing the praise of fiberglass (esp if it came from the State of TeD'sAsS :nana:) I'd be accused of trying to hawk my wares, but really I could not of cared if anyone bought anything, I was trying to point those with fiberglass blinders and feedbuckets attached, that fiberglass Z bars, headlight buckets, pivots and wings were not viable components for functional vehicles...now we're at the conundrum of who's parts are best, it doesn't matter, there are those that have their reasons for choosing a certain vendor, or combining vendors components....

I've done a lot of cars over the years, and made so many parts over the decades I have no idea of the volume, I do know who's parts I'm sent by enthusiasts/customers to correct, or evaluate for a possible correction, I worked on a few customer projects with Jack McGaughey, we usually traded our parts for one another's, as we each made things the other couldn't or wouldn't, Jack was indeed a true craftsman, Gene Gregory's components are also very nice and highly recommended, although Gene is slowly bowing out of the market (retirement again!) and yes Ted Janak offered some nice fiberglass components, but the structural/functional pcs IMHO were not acceptable, only because of the application, not the workmanship,....there's always going to be new vendors supplying parts, or attempting too, if their parts are inferior, or unusable, word gets around, the wingcar world is small

Mike