News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WIW...needed for insurance purposes...

Started by volk68, March 07, 2006, 12:52:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

volk68

Ok, the Charger is pretty much finished for summer driving now (I still want to re-paint it, but that will have to wait awhile), and my insurance rep asked me for a general estimate of what I think the car is worth.  I am not planning to sell it, so this would be strictly for insurance...but I wanted to get the highest estimate I could without getting laughed out of the building :-\  I will post the specs, and some pics (I hate to be a pic whore, but I think they will be helpful ;)).

THE SPECS:

Original items:

interior w/some NOS pieces
glass (except windshield)
automatic transmission
suspension
grille
chrome trim

Modified/Non-Original items:

exterior paint
original 383 swapped out for 440
Mopar Orange electronic ignition
headers
New 2.5" exhaust system
Sony stereo and speakers
complete body undercoating
new quarter panels
8 3/4" Sure Grip rear end with 3.23 gearing
Centerline Convo Pro aluminum wheels

Here are the pics:

Exterior

Interior

moparguy01

the insurance company probably wont take your word for agreed value insurance, i'd think they'd want an appraisal. otherwise over insure it and say like 40k or something high like that. cause these cars arent getting any cheaper.

volk68

She might want an appraisal, but she is serious in wanting my estimate...her words "No one knows the car better than you."

moparguy01

your car looks pretty nice. I'd check ebay for what other nice cars are selling for and tell her that number. Just remember, go with what high replacement value would be.

beenaround

unless you go with a specialty company like grundy you can expect to pay full boat on any appraisal or estimate.that means  if its worth 20 or 30k it will be like paying for a new car!!!.the only drawback with the specialty company's is that they have restrictions on how the car is used and stored.if you drive it everyday it may be worth the higher rate.as for myself the car sees the road 2-3 times a year at most,so the restrictions don't interfere with me using the car.

volk68

I don't know what I'm going to do yet as far as any specialty insurance goes.  I'm just trying to pin down a number as a frame of reference.  Since everyone here has looked at so many Chargers over the years, I was just hoping for a general estimate of what you guys think it might be worth....10k?  15k?  More/less?  If you were looking to buy it, or replace it, how much would you value it at? 

No one has an opinion on this?

PURTBOY

In my opinion, you can get a decent charger running and driving, for $20-$25 k ! that is what i had insured mine at when i was talking with hagarty!

694spdRT

Last spring I insured my Charger for $20K with Haggerty looking like this. After completing it I raised the value to $40K. I never needed any appraisals to justify value just pictures.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

adauto

Allways a good idea to get a professional appraisal. Then you never get stuck in a "he said she said" game down the line. Quite a few insurance adjusters do it "on the side" Also you can arrange one through CARSONLINE depending what part of the country you live in. The last appraisal I had ran $175. A small price to pay for a big dollar ride. :Twocents:
Never too many! 70 Chally R/T Convert-70 GTX-68-69-74 Charger-68 Dart GTS

http://a-dauto.com/  http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

SeattleCharger

Anyone use Geico?     I got my Bronco and Camry on there, the Geico classic car subsidiary said my Charger would have to be locked in a garage and at least 80% restored, my car wouldn't qualify.      So I talked to reg. Geico, they said no problem, but problem is:

they asked what the car cost new, as in '68, then said they would have to "depreciate" that value, since it is so old.  heh.  So liability and comprehensive would ad about fifty bucks a month.   Of course I am worried if it got stolen or wrecked they would be trying to pay me a grand for it, they said to save receipts as I fix it up and they can adjust what they pay me, and they will look at what Chargers have sold for in my area lately, but I couldn't get them to say what it would actually be insured for.  I want it to be insured for at least ten grand maybe. 

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

MassCharger73

A little off topic, but I had my Catalina appraise at 12K but the insurance company would only insure it for 6K.
1973 Charger