News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Calif sucks, Daytona on hold for awhile longer

Started by pandamarie, February 20, 2014, 11:46:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pandamarie

I bought a new house with half an acre in Sacramento, an older 4 car garage built in the back with intentions of putting up a 25'x28'steel building, went to the city planner to get the permit and they tell me I cant put it up because you cant have an out building that is more than 50% of the size of your house.
So now I have to find places for all my stuff since the 4 car garage is full and so is the two car garage that is built onto the house. Still have a few cars in storage at friends houses.
At least they let me keep my new mail box,  This is my newest Grandson, He is 8 months old now. He loves playing with all my Daytona toys.

Ghoste

Zoning is so tight he has to live in the mailbox? :lol:

billssuperbird

Ghoste

Yeah, as much as I decry California and the government interference there, that particular bylaw is seen in several locales, including here.

4cruzin

Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

daytonalo

Had same issue here in NJ . I have a 4 car garage and needed more they said get a variance . I bought a 50 x 26 poly building with garage doors for 6 k and called it a day !!! It is a temporary structure . Go to Farmtek  
My temp building has galv sheet metal floor now
Just trying to show you loopholes , that's all

Redbird

I'm sure all your cars and projects are wonderful.

I like zoning. I don't want to live next to someone's disaster nightmare project. That is one of the reasons I live where I do. On a 1/2 acre, and I know exactly how big 1/2 acre is, that is not a lot of space.

I don't believe California has the zoning you are concerned with, probably Sacramento? Lots of places don't have zoning, why don't you move to one of them?

hemi68charger

Quote from: Redbird on February 20, 2014, 01:01:29 PM
... Lots of places don't have zoning...

Like Houston... The 4th largest city in the country and it never will now, too many people who would vote against it that don't give a flip about value......... I left Houston because I got sick of seeing Taquería trucks in people's front yards.....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

JB400

Quote from: 4cruzin on February 20, 2014, 12:25:23 PM
Time to add on to the house?    :shruggy:
This would be my suggestion as well.  It might be costlier, but it'll get you closer to what it is you're wanting.

Nwcharger

Quote from: Redbird on February 20, 2014, 01:01:29 PM
I'm sure all your cars and projects are wonderful.

I like zoning. I don't want to live next to someone's disaster nightmare project. That is one of the reasons I live where I do. On a 1/2 acre, and I know exactly how big 1/2 acre is, that is not a lot of space.

I don't believe California has the zoning you are concerned with, probably Sacramento? Lots of places don't have zoning, why don't you move to one of them?

You would hate living next to me and my small collection of Mopar projects. I'm on a half acre as well and its not big enough. My neighbors got me in trouble with the city once for having too many cars. Funny seeing most were in the back. I ended up registering 12-15 cars and parking all of them on the public street for a full year, moving them every 2 days. It was a pain in the ass but eventually moved them to the back yard again and haven't had anymore issues.  :2thumbs:
1969 coronet wagon

Aero426

Quote from: Nwcharger on February 20, 2014, 11:56:56 PM

You would hate living next to me and my small collection of Mopar projects. I'm on a half acre as well and its not big enough. My neighbors got me in trouble with the city once for having too many cars. Funny seeing most were in the back. I ended up registering 12-15 cars and parking all of them on the public street for a full year, moving them every 2 days. It was a pain in the ass but eventually moved them to the back yard again and haven't had anymore issues.  :2thumbs:

You're right.  I honestly would not want to live next to that situation, even with your cars kept in your own back yard.    

Even neighbors who might be car people may not want to look at your collection every day.  

Aero426

Quote from: pandamarie on February 20, 2014, 11:46:30 AM
I bought a new house with half an acre in Sacramento, an older 4 car garage built in the back with intentions of putting up a 25'x28'steel building, went to the city planner to get the permit and they tell me I cant put it up because you cant have an out building that is more than 50% of the size of your house.
So now I have to find places for all my stuff since the 4 car garage is full and so is the two car garage that is built onto the house. Still have a few cars in storage at friends houses.
At least they let me keep my new mail box,  This is my newest Grandson, He is 8 months old now. He loves playing with all my Daytona toys.

Jake,  Looks like you have a pretty sweet situation.  Four car garage in the back,  two more up front, plus the carport.    Considering that you live in a city setting, for the size of the property, you are maxed out for what most residential locations will let you build as a detached.

I have a 5/8 scre lot, the most I could build for a detached was 840 sq ft, unless it was added on to the house.     Where I live, the inspectors were paranoid I was going to be operating a repair facility from the out building.    The city inspector must have asked me three times about it when clearing the electrical permit after the work was done. 

RallyeMike

Its not an outbuilding if you attach it to the house with an enclosed walkway ( :scratchchin: that might be removed later).

Awwww ..... Love your mailbox photo!  ;D
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

70daytonaclone

I'm surprised that all you rich smart people don't buy land and houses in the unincorporated county instead of in city limits. :Twocents:

Nwcharger

Quote from: 70daytonaclone on February 21, 2014, 08:11:42 PM
I'm surprised that all you rich smart people don't buy land and houses in the unincorporated county instead of in city limits. :Twocents:

When I bought my house it was unincorporated. Then the urban growth boundry expanded so the city limits came to me. I'm ready to move again. This time I'm going to the hills
1969 coronet wagon

JB400

If there's enough people in the largest city in the county, they can vote in that the county follows the city's regulations.

62 Max

Stevearino

I moved from restrictive N.J. to the wide open spaces of an unincorporated part of North Carolina. Being on 2 1/2 acres I thought that I would start with a 40 x 60 building and if I ever needed more space I would just expand. What is 2400 square feet of building on 2.5 acres. Wrong. My county gives a specific percentage  on the size of the building relative to the property size. Turns out that 2500 square feet is the max for an out building and when you throw in my lawn shed and my pool house I am already over that limit. So much for the undiscovered  country.

wingcarenvy

I live in unincorporated county. They are just as restrictive as any city. As much as I hate to live next to a slob, us car guys get a bad wrap. I can't have a bunch of old cars covered in my driveway or backyard yet my neighbor can have three generations living in his house that looks like crap and has 8 Toyotas clogging up the street. I am friggin sick of the goverment telling me how to live my life. i thought this was the land of the free?

pandamarie

This web site seems to not like my pictures of my cars, Nothing I have is Junk, it is all restored, I just call them projects because they are never really finished when you are working on Classics. just to bad you guys will never see my collection because of something on this web site no letting me post pics.
But heres a list of them.
1932 Buick rumble seat coupe 66S,1 of 18 known
1940 Packard 180, 1 of 1 build for san francisco worlds fair in 39
1941 Packard 120 business coupe
1948 Lincoln conv coupe, 1 of 16 known of 312 built
1961 AMC metropolitan and a 1958 Metro conv.
1970 Challenger R/T V code daily driver
1969 Charger being converted into a daytona
Then some newer cars and a 1918 model T truck and 1916 Overland These cars are set aside for my Grandkids.
if you want to see pics PM me with your email and I will send them.

Aero426

Pics have to be resized under 200kb to post on the site, unless you are using a photo hosting service.

Would enjoy seeing the Packards.

Tilar

That's what I like about where I am. I didn't even need a building permit when we put up our shop 10 years ago and there are no zoning restrictions in 4 of the townships within this county... yet.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

daytonalo

petercharger

Ask if u can build out buildings for your horses and emus .....about 1/2 dozen or so...want to help cut down on green house gasses and use animal grazing via those dirty lawn mowers.    May even through in some solar lights in buildings to give them some comfort.    That should work.    :smilielol:
best way to get a hold of me is brushcollege@msn.com...thanks

Tilar

Quote from: daytonalo on March 08, 2014, 06:54:16 AM
What state ?

Me? I'm in Ohio. Even in East Texas where I just sold my house a couple years ago didn't have zoning other than septic systems that I had to worry about. In town was another story.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.