News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 bolt-ons/Desktop Dyno Sim

Started by cougs, February 25, 2014, 08:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cougs

All,
I've been playing around with desktop dyno a bit.  Starting with a stock '68 383 Magnum with 10:1 compression, stock stall, and 3.23 gears (going to 3.73 in a month or so) and adding the following:

- DP4B Edelbrock intake
- Proform 750 CFM Carb (rec'd by Ron)
- TTi 1 7/8 headers, 3" pipes
- Hughes HMC2942BL Whiplash cam 229/242 at .050 .518/518 107 CL

I was originally considering going with a milder cam upgrade and keeping the H.P. manifolds but the speed bug got me! 

Anyway, I'm having a difficult time deciding on a cam.  The whiplash has a mean idle and is a slight step up, performance wise, over the 268/284 adv .450/.458 stock cam.  If I go any more aggressive, it kills the torque and only maintains the horsepower. 

Anybody have any cam recommendations to put into the simulation?  I'd like to get to 425 hp w/o giving up a lot of torque and I'd like to maintain my stock torque converter.
1968 Charger 383/727  Restored to Stock!

XH29N0G

I'll let others respond to this.  I think the bore and stroke are different than what you used (I thought they were 4.25 and 3.375 (I hope I did not misread the image- there was an RB version from the late 50's that I think has the numbers you list, but the low B version 383 from the late 60's has a shorter stroke).  This will have an impact on the torque, which my  :Twocents: are that I would work to that with the 383.  Other than that, I do not know how realistic (in absolute terms) the dyno programs are.  I assume if they match the build they have the potential to be realistic, but that depends a lot on who builds the engine and what the parameters are that go into the calculation.

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

cougs

Crap, you're right, I picked the wrong 383!  I'll change it and send a new shot. 

cougs

OK, so it appears that now that I've selected the right bore and stroke the engine is performing better. 

Any feedback??  Can I squeeze a little more out of it with a different cam?

A383Wing

I got basically the same program on my computer, when I was using this, I chose what RPM I was going to be running at most of the time...then had a cam ground for those specs...

few years later, I took the car to a dyno and ran it....readings from computer dyno and real dyno were pretty accurate to each other

cdr

that is WAY off, look at the torque. not out of a 383 !!
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

fy469rtse

I'm with CDR on this, alloy heads ? , you will have more chance with using single plane manifold similar to the the Holley torque 2 I think I used, I went with comps range HE range, but wished I went with hydraulic roller,
That simulator looks wrong ,

Cooter

Almost identical torque readings with same cam as the small block Chevy 383 up top.
and thats with 3.750 stroke.
A good reference for build, but wouldn't count on a simulator. Any more HP and your either gonna have to increase the cylinder heads/cam/rpm range.
I recommend you stroke it out.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

cougs

Quote from: Cooter on February 26, 2014, 06:01:12 AM
Almost identical torque readings with same cam as the small block Chevy 383 up top.
and thats with 3.750 stroke.
A good reference for build, but wouldn't count on a simulator. Any more HP and your either gonna have to increase the cylinder heads/cam/rpm range.
I recommend you stroke it out.

That's where I'm leaning.  I could get this torque out of a stroker for sure. 

cudaken

Cougs, if it is not to much trouble could do a test using old MP Hemi 284 BB cam and the 509 cam with a troker intake?

Quote from: cdr on February 25, 2014, 11:42:16 PM

Why's that CDR? Stock they had 425 foot pounds.

Cuda Ken
I am back

firefighter3931

In that engine combination i'd run this Lunati Cam :

http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1578&gid=362

I recommended that one to Jackson who has a very similar 383 build to yours....see below for results  :icon_smile_big:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAWpWcgqX6w

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

cougs

Quote from: cudaken on February 26, 2014, 09:54:23 AM

Cougs, if it is not to much trouble could do a test using old MP Hemi 284 BB cam and the 509 cam with a troker intake?

Cuda Ken

Ken,
Send me the cam specs with intake centerline and I'll run it. 

Here a comparison between stock and this combo.  The sim says a stock 383 HP should do 420 ft/lbs at around 3,500 and 330hp at around 5,000. This isn't far off at all...at least for this combo.  This is fun to play around with, but I agree, experience and real-world use will trump this any day!!

cougs

Quote from: firefighter3931 on February 26, 2014, 11:41:09 AM

I recommended that one to Jackson who has a very similar 383 build to yours....see below for results  :icon_smile_big:

Ron

Ron, I ran this cam and the power was better all the way to 4,500 RPM!  After that, the Hughes Whiplash did better.  Brings up a big question.  The VooDoo cam seems to produce more total power throughout the RPM range (more area under the curve) which should make the car faster, right? 

Jackson's car sounds great!

Thx,
Brock

1974dodgecharger

Is that program to the wheels or engine fly.  Makes u all happy inside that it gives u such high numbers....then u get on a dyno and cry  :icon_smile_big:

cougs

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on February 26, 2014, 09:43:39 PM
Is that program to the wheels or engine fly.  Makes u all happy inside that it gives u such high numbers....then u get on a dyno and cry  :icon_smile_big:

Flywheel.......gross hp.  Doesn't even take accessories like water pump and alternator into account.

A383Wing

Quote from: cougs on February 26, 2014, 10:08:40 PM

Flywheel.......gross hp.  Doesn't even take accessories like water pump and alternator into account.

yes, at flywheel

cudaken

Cougs, here are the specks for the cams I asked about.

MP P4120235 duration 282/284  @0.050 241/241 Over Lap 68 Center Line 108 lift .484/.484

MP P4120237 duration 292/292  @0.050 248/248 Over Lap 76 Center Line 108 lift .509/.509

I know they are really old design's but I like to see how they compare to the newer cams. I have ran the first one a couple of times and really liked it.

Thanks in advances!

Cuda Ken
I am back

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: cougs on February 26, 2014, 10:08:40 PM

Sweet.....

BSB67

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

BSB67

Quote from: cougs on February 26, 2014, 12:10:00 PM
Quote from: cudaken on February 26, 2014, 09:54:23 AM

Cuda Ken

Ken,
Send me the cam specs with intake centerline and I'll run it. 

Here a comparison between stock and this combo.  The sim says a stock 383 HP should do 420 ft/lbs at around 3,500 and 330hp at around 5,000. This isn't far off at all...at least for this combo.  This is fun to play around with, but I agree, experience and real-world use will trump this any day!!

The factory hp rating was a little optimistic.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

firefighter3931

Quote from: cougs on February 26, 2014, 01:17:06 PM

Ron

Ron, I ran this cam and the power was better all the way to 4,500 RPM!  After that, the Hughes Whiplash did better.  Brings up a big question.  The VooDoo cam seems to produce more total power throughout the RPM range (more area under the curve) which should make the car faster, right? 

Thx,
Brock

Brock,

I'll take a cam that produces better bottom end & midrange power vs the one that produces the best peak number anytime. The car will accelerate harder and have better throttle response. When racing it's the first few hundred feet that are the most critical.  :yesnod:

Try re-doing the program and plug in 9:1 compression and see what happens. The factory 10:1 ratio was overly optimistic and the real/actual number is closer to 9:1. A cam with 229@.050 intake duration is going to be less than ideal with 383 cubes using a stock converter, inmo. With a short stroke 383 in a heavy street car with modest stall you want to maximize torque to get that beast launched and accelerating.   ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

cougs

Quote from: cudaken on February 27, 2014, 01:00:33 AM
Cougs, here are the specks for the cams I asked about.

MP P4120235 duration 282/284  @0.050 241/241 Over Lap 68 Center Line 108 lift .484/.484

MP P4120237 duration 292/292  @0.050 248/248 Over Lap 76 Center Line 108 lift .509/.509

I know they are really old design's but I like to see how they compare to the newer cams. I have ran the first one a couple of times and really liked it.

Thanks in advances!

Cuda Ken

Ken, PM me your email and I'll send these over

cougs

Quote from: firefighter3931 on February 27, 2014, 08:26:39 AM
Quote from: cougs on February 26, 2014, 01:17:06 PM

Ron

Thx,
Brock

Brock,

I'll take a cam that produces better bottom end & midrange power vs the one that produces the best peak number anytime. The car will accelerate harder and have better throttle response. When racing it's the first few hundred feet that are the most critical.  :yesnod:

Try re-doing the program and plug in 9:1 compression and see what happens. The factory 10:1 ratio was overly optimistic and the real/actual number is closer to 9:1. A cam with 229@.050 intake duration is going to be less than ideal with 383 cubes using a stock converter, inmo. With a short stroke 383 in a heavy street car with modest stall you want to maximize torque to get that beast launched and accelerating.   ;)

Ron

Ron,
Thanks. Good point. The last thing I want is a sluggish launch. Adjusting to 9:1 compression reduced torque by about 15 ft/lbs across the whole band   :'(

I have another question.  What do you think of the 268/284 .450/.458 Stock Magnum cam?  I know it's a 45 year old design but with its duration is *should* make decent power (at least according to the simulation).  This is what I have now.  The problem I have with it is that it doesn't lope like I would like and doesn't have the top end I'm looking for, but it does launch the car!  Are the specs on the stock cam again, a little exaggerated?  It seems to not lope and have a lot of low end which is surprising due to the duration. :scratchchin: 

firefighter3931

Brock,

The stock Magnum cam works well for what it is but with a small overlap the idle is pretty sedate. Duration is short which helps build bottom end power and torque. The lunati is 3* tighter on the LSA (112 vs 115) and has another 14* duration at .050 valve lift so it should pull better up top. The increased valve lift won't hurt either. That is a faster lobe than the factory cam so it will make more power.  ;)

I'd like to see it compared to the 262 VooDoo on the same graph  :yesnod:

Oh ya, it'll definately have a more agressive sound at idle  :2thumbs:

Ron

Ps. While you're playing around with the dyno sym try inputting small tube header just to see what that does to the torque number. A 1 7/8 header is a bit big on a mild pump gas 383 and it will hurt torque. The ideal size would be 1 3/4 but i understand your reasoning.....stroker coming in the future. I was in the same boat when i purchased the TTI's and bought something that was a little too big in preperation for a future build.

cougs

Quote from: firefighter3931 on February 27, 2014, 01:56:31 PM
Brock,

The stock Magnum cam works well for what it is but with a small overlap the idle is pretty sedate. Duration is short which helps build bottom end power and torque. The lunati is 3* tighter on the LSA (112 vs 115) and has another 14* duration at .050 valve lift so it should pull better up top. The increased valve lift won't hurt either. That is a faster lobe than the factory cam so it will make more power.  ;)

I'd like to see it compared to the 262 VooDoo on the same graph  :yesnod:

Oh ya, it'll definately have a more agressive sound at idle  :2thumbs:

Ron

Ps. While you're playing around with the dyno sym try inputting small tube header just to see what that does to the torque number. A 1 7/8 header is a bit big on a mild pump gas 383 and it will hurt torque. The ideal size would be 1 3/4 but i understand your reasoning.....stroker coming in the future. I was in the same boat when i purchased the TTI's and bought something that was a little too big in preperation for a future build.

Ron,
Here's the VooDoo vs the Magnum.  Note that the VooDoo is installed on 108 ICL and the Magnum is on a 113 ICL.  The darker line is the Magnum cam.  I changed the sim to a 650 CFM carb, 9.2:1 compression, and small tube headers.   The 750 carb was doing very little.  The large headers didn't appear to hurt torque much but I agree it was overkill for a mild 383. Also, I'm running a FirmFeel pitman arm and idler arm which won't work with the 1 7/8" headers
Let me know what you think!   :cheers: