News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Transmission shifter arm (on trans) pic/measurement

Started by AKcharger, August 07, 2005, 11:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

I've got a wierd one: The arm on my trans is too long and as such will not allow me to properly rig the shifter. Either I can rig it to get 1st gear...then it will not go into park, or I can rig it to park but no manual 1st gear. Only thing I can think of is I have the wrong size arm on the trans (valave body). I picked up another from Carlisle but it's the same size as the one on there now...anyone have one off a console 727 they could measure for me and take a pic?

Thanks

Chryco Psycho

is it a cable shifter ?
most cable shifters do not line up with the extra long throw into park properly

anyone know what shifter does work porperly with the Mopar trannys ???

John_Kunkel

There are a variety of shapes and length for shift levers, sounds like you need a shorter one. Factory shifter or aftermarket cable shifter? The aftermarket has its own length, shorter than factory.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

AKcharger

Nope Stock Console shifter, all rods.

John Thanks for the pictures. The one on the Lt. is the one installed now, the one next to it withthe bushing is what I bought at Carlisle...guess I need one of those others. In fact I just looked at my '70 manual it it shows an arm similar to the ones on the right (Du-uh...should have looked at it earlier) anyway can you give me a guesstimate how much shorter it is? I'll cut the extra arm I have down and weld it to correct length.

Thanks!!
AK

John_Kunkel

Suprisingly, all of the levers shown are pretty close to the same length hole-center-to-center. There are some that are about 1/4" shorter and the ones used with the aftermarket cable shifter are considerably shorter.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

AKcharger

OK I'll hack off a 1/4 and see what happens

Thanks!

AKcharger

A pal hacked off 1/4 and rewelded arm back together...works great now gets 1st through park

Thanks!