News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Modern Bullitt build

Started by keepat, April 30, 2014, 04:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfaitalia

Lovin' the "Bullitt" head covers!!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

keepat

Quote from: VegasCharger on November 08, 2016, 08:24:34 PM
Quote from: keepat on November 08, 2016, 07:03:49 PM
Indy used pictures and specs of my motor in their on line add for the 6.1 :-)
click on the link and scroll to the bottom.
Pat

http://www.indyheads.com/6.1hemiengines.html

That's AWESOME!!  :2thumbs:

Any royalties??

No royalties just the bill. :-(
Thanks

Quote from: alfaitalia on November 09, 2016, 10:03:10 AM

Thanks, I was very happy with how the valve covers turned out.  I was also happy with 456 lbs!  I'm not sure what the actual weight of an original 440 engine is but I have to guess I've saved over a 100 + pounds.
Pat

crj1968

Pat

:2thumbs:

alfaitalia

Quote from: keepat on November 09, 2016, 02:35:16 PM
Quote from: VegasCharger on November 08, 2016, 08:24:34 PM
Pat

That's AWESOME!!  :2thumbs:

Any royalties??

No royalties just the bill. :-(
Thanks

Quote from: alfaitalia on November 09, 2016, 10:03:10 AM

Thanks, I was very happy with how the valve covers turned out.  I was also happy with 456 lbs!  I'm not sure what the actual weight of an original 440 engine is but I have to guess I've saved over a 100 + pounds.
Pat

According to my googling a 440 weighs in at 670lbs.....so well over 200lb less....result!

alfaitalia

Oops...wrong thread!

Deleted!

keepat

Just starting to get back to work on the charger as I've been very busy at work. I did put some time in on the steering wheel project and I'm happy with my progress so far. I found another steering wheel with good chrome on the spokes. And I decided to leave small 1" sections of the original plastic wood grain in place to help position the outer ring as well as locate the inner ring that I made smaller in diameter. My plan was to use a product called West System which is a two-part epoxy that has a variety of fillers to help color, thicken, and add strength. I started by making a small mold of the shape I was looking for and just move it around using plumbers putty too damn up the ends when I filled it with a epoxy. This worked OK but didn't give me the results I was looking for so I decided to make a full mold. After using it to make the top half of the steering wheel I modified it to clear the spokes and used it again for the bottom half of the steering wheel. This worked great and other than a few air pockets which I can fill-in along with the holes that I drilled so I could use a syringe to inject epoxy into the bottom of the mold I think it turned out great. I plan on making it a darker shade of brown and then comes the tedious part of replicating the wood grain.
Thanks
Pat

This is a picture of the partial mold that I started using

Here's the mold has been waxed and filled with epoxy

First pull of the new mold

Then I cut the mold to clear the spokes and flip the steering wheel to redo the shape on the backside of the steering wheel.

cbrestorations

use a smart guy...lol, i want one

cbrestorations

it would be funny to park our cars next to each other at a show...resto-pro touring next to ratty hoopty pro touring lol

Lennard

Wow, awesome job on the steering wheel Pat! :2thumbs:
Do you take orders?    ;)

keepat

Quote from: cbrestorations on December 04, 2016, 07:18:45 PM
it would be funny to park our cars next to each other at a show...resto-pro touring next to ratty hoopty pro touring lol

That would be very cool!  And I would predict that your car would grab more attention.
Thanks
Pat

Quote from: Lennard on December 04, 2016, 07:48:09 PM
Do you take orders?    ;)

Every day from my wife ;-)
Thanks
Pat

Lennard

cbrestorations

Quote from: keepat on December 04, 2016, 08:19:45 PM
Quote from: cbrestorations on December 04, 2016, 07:18:45 PM

That would be very cool!  And I would predict that your car would grab more attention.
Thanks
Pat

Quote from: Lennard on December 04, 2016, 07:48:09 PM
Do you take orders?    ;)

Every day from my wife ;-)
Thanks
Pat

Maybe at first glance until people realize the craftsmanship that went into your car. Sooooo many small and big details. Awesome build

funknut

Very cool.  Every time I check this thread I learn something great.

Very elegant solution, nice job!   :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

VegasCharger

Great work Pat!  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

When it's all said and done make the journey to the west coast. Make stops at MATS and Spring Fling.

:cheers:

keepat

Quote from: VegasCharger on December 05, 2016, 01:16:10 AM

When it's all said and done make the journey to the west coast. Make stops at MATS and Spring Fling.

I west coast road trip to SF is the plan, I hope my son has time to take his Bullitt Mustang so we can drive some of the same SF roads as in the movie, but without the jumping ;-)
Thanks
Pat

cbrestorations

Quote from: keepat on December 05, 2016, 04:07:07 PM
Quote from: VegasCharger on December 05, 2016, 01:16:10 AM

I west coast road trip to SF is the plan, I hope my son has time to take his Bullitt Mustang so we can drive some of the same SF roads as in the movie, but without the jumping ;-)
Thanks
Pat

big sissy...you only live once...jump it lol jk

VegasCharger

Quote from: keepat on December 05, 2016, 04:07:07 PM
Thanks
Pat

Also make a stop in Vegas if it's within your route on the way to SF. Meet up with Chris (cbrestorations) at his mini Charger museum. He welcomes all Charger fans, especially from DC.com. I'm about 20 miles away from him so that would be cool to have a gathering. You might get lucky and have Lennard (Lennard) present as well.

Chris, hope I'm not out of line with the invites. lol

charger chris

Nice work Pat. If you ever want to do anther one for some cash I have one that needs fixed. :popcrn:
i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1969 charger Daytona clone
1969 charger sadly stolen
1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

keepat

40+ hours and the steering wheel is just about finished. With a lot of sanding and adding more epoxy I got the oval shape I was looking for. Then I used a hook blade to add the wood grain affect. For color I used wood stain to darken the wood grain cuts and to get the color I was looking for.
Thanks
Pat

This is the difference in size and shape from the original steering wheel grip to the new larger oval.

garner7555

Looks awesome!!   :2thumbs:    I would never have the patience for it but it's great to see someone who does.   :lol:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

VegasCharger

mopar4don

timmycharger

alfaitalia

Amazing attention to detail as always.......mine will be getting a clean and polish and put back on....at least for now!! Prob be replaced with something more in keeping with the restomod theme. ....But it will be bought not made!! LOL!!

CRW-FK5