News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My New Project...Dreamcar's 69 (UPDATE OCTOBER 2016)

Started by Dreamcar, May 17, 2014, 09:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreamcar

Last year, I bought my first Charger project from 70SUBLIME. It was a non-numbers matching 383 column shift car that needed lots of work. I didn't really care because i just wanted a 69 Charger, and overall, this one was very straight and a good base for building whatever Charger I wanted. I was looking at taking 4-5 years to build it. That was last July. Here's my original post:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,103220.msg1222229.html#msg1222229

Early this spring, 70SUBLIME found another 69 Charger, a numbers-matching 383 with ac:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109142.msg1337449/topicseen.html#msg1337449

Well, I'm the "Andrew" that he mentions in the title of his post. I think he did this on purpose  :scratchchin:, because soon enough I took the drive down to his place to see this car...and I wanted it.  :yesnod:  I hadn't done much to mine yet, so I didn't feel like I had put lots of work into it only to turn around and sell it.

We struck a deal that if I could sell mine within a month or so and get enough $$ out of it, I'd buy his newly acquired Charger. In about two weeks, i had my other project sold without taking too much of a loss. I know some people will ask why I went from a 383 project to a 383 project...its simply because I love numbers matching cars even though I hadn't bought one to begin with and even though a 383 is not the most valuable Charger. But, I really don't care for that. I had a chance to get numbers matching car and I knew that once fixed up (years from now), I'll love knowing the numbers are matching.  

So today, 70SUBLIME dropped off what we've been calling the "Q5" since it is the original color. We had some BBQ for lunch  :cheers: then unloaded the car from the trailer. It's now in my garage (being Chargerless for a few weeks felt wrong) and I can't wait to get started this week. This car will be going back to 95% stock, with the exception of disc brakes, subframe connectors, and maybe a little engine work for a little more power, but certainly not anything extreme...just a nice cruiser painted in the original Q5 color with a white top.  

So, a big thanks to 70SUBLIME for giving me the opportunity to buy the car. It's in good hands. I'll be keeping you guys up to date on on the progess. Cheers.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

Mopar Nut

:popcrn:

Can't wait to follow your progress.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

70 sublime

The burgers were good

Good luck with this one :2thumbs:

Nope I will not show you any Hemi car pictures that I might come across  :icon_smile_big:

I unloaded the Q5 in his garage and in the doorway there was an engine crane that he had gone and rented just before I got there (I helped him take the hood off before I left)

It was a 750 KM round trip and 2 hours after we had left (wife went with me) I got a text and he sent me a picture of the motor already out on the ground

PS The truck only used 1.5 L more gas going up with the car on the trailer than it did coming back with the empty trailer
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

myk

Judging from your avatar and the new picture the cars look to be in the same condition; what are the differences you're facing with this latest car?  Good luck with your new mission...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Ghoste

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Dreamcar

Quote from: myk on May 17, 2014, 11:44:47 PM
Judging from your avatar and the new picture the cars look to be in the same condition; what are the differences you're facing with this latest car?  Good luck with your new mission...

The major difference is the amount metal to replace because of the body damage at the back (accident). Instead of quarter skins, ill be installing full quarters. The rear valence and tailight panel on this one are also not salvageable. The amount of rust repair is slightly greater on the new one, but not by much. I still prefer this one though because it has barely been worked on so i get to see how the factory did things originaly. The previous car had multiple owners and appeared to have a lot of previous repairs.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

Baldwinvette77

I see how it is.. you never come by to see me... its cool man... its cool  :rotz:

70 sublime

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on May 18, 2014, 05:43:58 AM
I see how it is.. you never come by to see me... its cool man... its cool  :rotz:

Never been really invited Allen

But I did read some place that you posted you were sick of your car and wanted out
Maybe I should bring the trailer with me :)

PS Andrew made us lunch so after looking at what you have done with your car I would be afraid of your cooking ::)
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: 70 sublime on May 18, 2014, 07:29:50 AM
Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on May 18, 2014, 05:43:58 AM
I see how it is.. you never come by to see me... its cool man... its cool  :rotz:

Never been really invited Allen

But I did read some place that you posted you were sick of your car and wanted out
Maybe I should bring the trailer with me :)

PS Andrew made us lunch so after looking at what you have done with your car I would be afraid of your cooking ::)

Would make a cool daytona clone  :lol:

As for the cooking... Fear is Correct  :smilielol:

Dreamcar

I posted my car looking sad in the garage after flipping it around and some of you wanted pics. Well I figured it was time for my first update. Warning: My point right now is not to make the car pretty, rather to remove rusted metal and seal the bare metal. Later, epoxy and proper body work will be the point of the project, but not right now.

The pillars were done first:

Dreamcar

COWL:

Dreamcar

Baldwinvette77

Dreamcar

inner fender replacement and firewall strip and paint

Dreamcar

got the car turned around and getting the donor roof ready

myk

"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

keepat

Nice progress, Great job on the front end!
Pat

Dreamcar

The donor roof structure is torn down carefully to not damage anything.

Dreamcar

rear window frame is braced and tear down of car continues...notice the nest left by critters. notice what is left of the last roof support!!??

Dreamcar

Donor roof structure pieces installed, new AMD bottom window channel installed.

Dreamcar

excellent money spent!!

Ghoste

Dreamcar

Quote from: Ghoste on December 22, 2015, 06:10:49 AM
Some incredible undertaking there.  :cheers:

Yes, but now that I'm almost to the point of test fitting new body panels, I'm starting to feel like there's progress.

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona