News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Black tint over green factory tint glass?

Started by familymopar, June 13, 2014, 03:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

familymopar

I have a few questions regarding tint.  I have a 68 Charger with all factory green glass (except windshield is not original).  That light tint does not cut it here and I like the look of black tint.  So my questions are these:

1) Is the factory green integral to the window, i.e. not a film or treatment on the glass?  It looks like it is integral  to me.  I am concerned that any future owner not be stuck with black tint nor have to ruin the underlying green tint to remove the black tint.  I also need to remove a sticker put on inside of window by PO and I think a razor will be the only way to do it and I do not want to damage the factory tint either.

2) Has anybody black tinted over the factory green?  If so, how does it look?  I know that if I put a white sheet behind the window it is obviously green but otherwise on the car it is hard to even tell.  I have even argued with people who said the windows were not tinted because it is hard to tell when on the car.  And again, that just doesn't do it for me here in Houston.  The green is so light that I suspect that blacking over it would be ok, but I have not seen it myself.

Any help is appreciated.

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Challenger SRT8 6 Speed
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

bill440rt

You won't damage the factory green tint with a razor blade. It's the color of the glass itself. Not a film.

Never blacked out windows, but I'd imagine placing something black behind the glass should give you a good idea: black garbage bag, black t-shirt, black tape, etc.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

familymopar

Quote from: bill440rt on June 13, 2014, 03:06:37 PM
You won't damage the factory green tint with a razor blade. It's the color of the glass itself. Not a film.

Never blacked out windows, but I'd imagine placing something black behind the glass should give you a good idea: black garbage bag, black t-shirt, black tape, etc.

Thank you for the response.  I had figured that the factory green was integral but wanted to make sure.  So that answers the "can I razor it" and the "can I tint over it without fear of damage".  I have held black up behind it but that just doesn't give me a good enough feel for how it will look.  If I wanted to fully black it out I think it would be fine, I just want to darken it up using black, as opposed to green, tint.  I do want to keep it in the legal range.

Hopefully there is someone out there that has done it and can maybe even provide photos.  I honestly can't wait to have them tinted darker but I fear the black on green look.  I am wondering if the black tint will make the green much more noticeable than it is now....

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

Ghoste

When you did hold black behind it, what was it like?

familymopar

Quote from: Ghoste on June 13, 2014, 03:47:30 PM
When you did hold black behind it, what was it like?

When a black towel was just held up behind it (and there was space in between it and the glass) the green seemed to me to be more pronounced and obvious.  When I held the black tight up against the glass (no space) the green was much less noticeable and seemed like it would be ok. That's what I thought anyway.

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

el dub

Don't forget there are different percentages of dark tint. On my car I think its 60% ? Its against the law in Calif. because I don't have a passenger side mirror. Go to s shop and they will lay the tint on the window and show you what it looks like.
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

bill440rt

You could probably also go down to your local Pep Boys & just buy some cheap tint just to see as an experiment. They have rolls in varying degrees of tint for under $10 bucks.  :Twocents:   :yesnod:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Dino

I thought about doing the same a few years back and wasn't sure how it would turn out.  I half planned to buy clear glass to tint but that would be real costly.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

familymopar

Quote from: el dub on June 13, 2014, 04:40:09 PM
Don't forget there are different percentages of dark tint. On my car I think its 60% ? Its against the law in Calif. because I don't have a passenger side mirror. Go to s shop and they will lay the tint on the window and show you what it looks like.

el dub, I know there are laws on the tint level.  I am currently registered as a classic vehicle (just to use yom plates) but I have considered re-registering when time comes as an antique vehicle, that way I will be exempt from inspections and can tint as dark as I like. Here in Texas I can have 25% all the way around because I don't have a passenger mirror.  If I did have a passenger mirror I could have 25% on driver and passenger door and as dark as Like on the others (I believe, anyway, there may be some limit). In any event, i would prefer all the tint match, so I would go 25% all the way around anyway (unless I go antique and go a little darker all the way around).

That's a nice ride in your photo.  Is that tint on green glass?

Quote from: bill440rt on June 13, 2014, 04:49:42 PM
You could probably also go down to your local Pep Boys & just buy some cheap tint just to see as an experiment. They have rolls in varying degrees of tint for under $10 bucks.  :Twocents:   :yesnod:

That's a good idea, bill.  I always think it looks different when actually applied but that would probably be as good as I will get if no one hear has photos of tint on green glass.  Thanks for the idea.

Quote from: Dino on June 13, 2014, 07:47:41 PM
I thought about doing the same a few years back and wasn't sure how it would turn out.  I half planned to buy clear glass to tint but that would be real costly.

I have considered the same thing Dino.   I honestly had the glass in my shopping cart once.  But I like knowing its original glass, and I can't justify a tint job that would cost me over $1000.  And I'd have to store all the green glass somewhere in my house.  Like the guys said above, I think I will buy a roll and see how it looks and if it looks ok I will just do it and see.  It is always removable so long as the green is integral to the glass, as the above posters have informed me it is.

My glass does also have some scratching on them.  I would think the tint would hide it a little but I hear that tint actually makes them much more noticeable, so I guess that is another concern.  Maybe if holding up the roll stuff looks good I will go to the tinter and tell him to do one widow, the one scratched the worst.  If it looks terrible I will have him remove it.  If it looks good I will have him finish the job.

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

jaak

When I bought my 73 Charger, the previous owner had just had the windows (all except windshield) tinted black. Within 2 days I pulled it all off. Didn't look right to me.

Jason

familymopar

Quote from: jaak on June 18, 2014, 06:04:31 PM
When I bought my 73 Charger, the previous owner had just had the windows (all except windshield) tinted black. Within 2 days I pulled it all off. Didn't look right to me.

Jason

I can certainly appreciate that.  Just personal preference I guess.  I have always liked the look of tint and in Houston it hardly seems like a choice sometimes.  It's also one of those things that's easy to do and easy to undo, so no big loss if I change my mind later.

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

el dub

el dub, I know there are laws on the tint level.  I am currently registered as a classic vehicle (just to use yom plates) but I have considered re-registering when time comes as an antique vehicle, that way I will be exempt from inspections and can tint as dark as I like. Here in Texas I can have 25% all the way around because I don't have a passenger mirror.  If I did have a passenger mirror I could have 25% on driver and passenger door and as dark as Like on the others (I believe, anyway, there may be some limit). In any event, i would prefer all the tint match, so I would go 25% all the way around anyway (unless I go antique and go a little darker all the way around).

That's a nice ride in your photo.  Is that tint on green glass?

I don't think it was. I planning on doing the side windows later. That Texas heat is about the same as here in Fresno. Its 97* right now and getting hotter for the weekend. That tint keeps it a little cooler.
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Cooter

Here in Va, 'antique' tags doesn't mean one can daily drive their car/truck.
There's a section under 'maintaining vehicle' and too and from shows, up to 250 mile radius of residence.

My green glass is tinted 35%. PITA to see OUT of at night with only one mirror.
it looks good, but all you see at night is your reflection.
while the normal laws don't really apply to antique cars here, if a cop wants to, he can write you as the legal limit is 50% on front windows and NONE on windshield.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

familymopar

Quote from: Cooter on June 19, 2014, 09:28:25 PM
Here in Va, 'antique' tags doesn't mean one can daily drive their car/truck.
There's a section under 'maintaining vehicle' and too and from shows, up to 250 mile radius of residence.

while the normal laws don't really apply to antique cars here, if a cop wants to, he can write you as the legal limit is 50% on front windows and NONE on windshield.

Cooter, it sounds like the antique plate rules in VA are similar, if not the same as, those in TX.  You certainly can't daily drive, your car is supposed to be used only for going to shows, parades, exhibiting the car, etc.  That is largely what I use the car for anyway.  Exhibiting the car seems to cover a fairly wide range as far as I can tell.  I am not to worried about that as I don't think antique tagged vehicles get too much flack around here.  I do like that it relieves me from inspection and gives me a 5 year registration.  If I were to get a ticket for the windows being too dark I would deal with that then.  I really don't see that going too far in court anyway.  And in any event, I think it is unlikely that I would really want to go past legal tint anyway.  Some relief from the sun and some darkness for looks is all I'm really looking for.

Now for the more important questions.  Your car is black tinted over green glass?  How does it look?  Does the green stand out?  Do you think the reflection you get inside at night is like that of any normal tint or do you think its worse because it is black on green glass?  do you have a photo of your car that shows the glass well with any green tint, etc.?  Any help / advice is appreciated.

I have followed the advice here and have held up lots of black things to my glass.  It doesn't seem the green really has much of an affect.  But I haven't held up anything transparent yet.  I will likely pick up some tint and do that this weekend.

Also, does anyone have any experience tinting scratched glass?  My passenger door and passenger rear widows both have some scratching from the window mechanisms.  I would think tint would hide this.  I have been told that tint strongly accentuates it.  Anybody have experience with tinting scratched windows?

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

Cooter

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

familymopar

Quote from: Cooter on June 19, 2014, 09:28:25 PM

I think that looks very good.  Hard to tell in a photo if there is any weird green tint but I think it looks great.  Great General as well.  Thanks for the photos!

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8