News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Pegged amp gauge

Started by lasvegas69charg, July 17, 2014, 06:53:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete in NH

I missed that EFI conversion, so, yes the ammeter could very well be responding to the injectors firing. Especially if they are still sourcing their current from the battery when the alternator output isn't high enough.

lasvegas69charg

Pete, i sourced the efi and car amp from the alt. are you saying if the alt output isn't great enough at lower rpm that it would be coming from the battery hence making the gauge almost imitating the fuel injectors firing off with the erratic behavior of the needle? If so how would I fix that, an alt that produces more amps at low rpm? Is there a way to see how many amps I'm drawing on dc current?
69 dodge charger 383/727/3.55 (my dad is the original owner-matching number) stroked to a 496😉

Pete in NH

That could be the issue, not enough alternator output a low engine RPM's to keep up with the increased load on the electrical system. There are ways to measure the current being drawn by various loads, the easiest being a clamp on DC ammeter. These type on ammeters clamp over wires by opening their clamp jaws and have a wire output that plugs into a standard voltmeter. The most common ones are for AC current, you need a DC current one and they are harder to find and more expensive. With that DC ammeter you could clamp it on the EFI system wire and see how much current it is taking and do the same with your stereo amp. And then measure the current coming out of the alternator.

Most alternators do not have very good output at low RPM's which is why people go to really big alternators trying to keep up with the load at low RPM's.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Pete in NH on July 26, 2014, 12:06:12 PM
I missed that EFI conversion, so, yes the ammeter could very well be responding to the injectors firing. Especially if they are still sourcing their current from the battery when the alternator output isn't high enough.

agreed

Quote from: Pete in NH on July 27, 2014, 09:20:15 AM

Most alternators do not have very good output at low RPM's which is why people go to really big alternators trying to keep up with the load at low RPM's.

once more, agreed.

once you solve that, will notice the BIG PROBLEM on our cars is preciselly that, MORE THAN THE WEAKNESS ITSELF on bulkhead!
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

lasvegas69charg

For giggles I put the old voltage reg that I had on there before and it corrected the erratic ammeter.  With the car running, Ac on, all lights on, flashers on, the guages is barely to the right of the 0. I checked all the new wiring (fleet bypass) that I did(8ga) and its barely warm ;D. Thanks again guys.  :2thumbs:
69 dodge charger 383/727/3.55 (my dad is the original owner-matching number) stroked to a 496😉

b5blue