News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

GYC 69 Daytona

Started by nascarxx29, August 14, 2014, 12:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

RJS

You can see in that thread an even mix of comments one way or the other. I feel who cares what horsepower it makes (and stated so) it someone else's car why bust chops??

You can also see in that thread that the original poster has a silly beef with GYC's and doesn't have any of his facts in order to begin with.
Please don't try to make this into a Charger Board against Moparts Board type of issue. :Twocents:
Ron

pettybird

If it had Stealth heads I'd expect a little more.  If it's all stock, on a HOT day like it was, probably pretty accurate.

The dyno guys were definitely having trouble.  The guy with the green 'bird was in the air (literally) for over an hour and a half while they had him do more than a half dozen runs due to issues.  

Our B5 bird had a stock rebuild except for an ancient Mopar .474 cam.  It ran 14.30's, which all of the old "power charts" put at around 220-225hp, too.  The '69 would have lighter rods which would show up at the track more than the dyno.

Regardless, the bickering is dumb and I'd love to have the car.  Wing cars don't have to be fast, either...people just assume they are and you can leave it at that  ;)

r4daytona

I will be glad to answers all speculation / questions.  Could someone though please post my answer on Moparts - I'm not a member there. 

I think it's interesting that so many people have the answers before they've even talked to me.

First - GYC did not build my motor my friend John did.  I'll be honest, I don't have a clue how to build a motor. I can swap any part, but I'm not a builder.  He's built MANY motors and tranny's.  His 440 currently has 765 Hp at the crank.  He said he would build me a reliable motor a couple steps above stock.  I don't need to prove my manhood by being the fastest guy at the track or blowing my engine up just to get applause.   His calculations were approx 475ish at the crank and he guesstimated 350-375 at the tires at 5800 rpm.  I just wanted to do it - thats all and now all the opinions come out.  When anyone else takes their freshly restored Daytona to the Dyno that they've never done before let me know, I'd love to watch.

My car does not have a tach so I relied on the one on the back of the semi.  Being that you couldn't read shit up there I had him point to where 5800 was.  ( it was about the 12 o'clock position)  So I did the first run, watched the tach get to about the 10 o'clock position and saw my speedo was reading 140mph. I chose to back off at that point.  Second run - who the hell knows what happened - they had a red error screen pop up as I was going so I let off.  Third run was about the same as the first it seemed but my speedo was jumping however my friends said my car slowed down alot faster than the other cars that coasted down. They wondered if the dyno brake was on a bit.  I know when I talked to the dyno guys the next day I heard one guys ask the other if the E-brake was on.  I said I knew mine wasn't and they said no we were talking about ours.  I backed off on the third run as well. 

Found out that they recorded my RPM's at 4000.  Sure, I probably could have kept going, but being it was my first time trying that so I took it easy.  I wanted to take it to the track but it took so damn long to do it I had to get back to the Legendary booth.

I find interesting the "armchair" daytona owners out there.  After 2.5 years and alot of money - I didn't have more "coin" to build wilder engine, nor did I want one - I wanted reliability and fun.  Also "weak", "lame" in reference to the engine??  What I find weak and lame are peoples opinions and self proclaimed wizardry as to know what happened up there and what my plan was for the motor even before they've asked me! 

As I said once before I have a single income, two daughters in college and a REAL, cool daytona done by GYC.  If anyone wants to send me some "coin" and come build me a new engine I will welcome you with open arms and have a BBQ at my beach - if not, then shut the fuck up and ask ME questions - I will be glad to answer!  I believe I had a pleasant conversation with anyone that came up to me and wanted to talk - hell, I even let people sit in my car to take pictures.  Unfortunately some people have a problem with my car simply because they have a problem with who did it. Simple minded people I guess.

Here's what I remember from the engine - you tell me where it should be.  bore & stroke 4.35-3.75  - 10.25 compression - 1.5 -1 ratio roller rockers - 440Source heads that my friend did some bowl work to - comp cam xe275hl .231 Int  .237 Exh.  Pertronix Ignition - stock intake - stock carb - stock exhaust   Left that way so the car looks correct. 

If anyone has a question, feel free to call (716)549-1756  I live on the east coast so no calls after 8pm if you live on the west coast.

Aero426

Quote from: RJS on August 15, 2014, 02:41:47 PM
You can see in that thread an even mix of comments one way or the other. I feel who cares what horsepower it makes (and stated so) it someone else's car why bust chops??

You can also see in that thread that the original poster has a silly beef with GYC's and doesn't have any of his facts in order to begin with.
Please don't try to make this into a Charger Board against Moparts Board type of issue. :Twocents:
Ron

That thread was a low class move and was started only to stir up a bunch of crap, even though the engine build was COMPLETELY unrelated to GYC.   I think Tom's car came out just fine and he should be proud of it.    Dave (NASCARXX29), why don't you ask your buddy who started the thread on Moparts to post up pics of HIS Daytona so we can critique it?   :cheers:

nascarxx29

I assume my buddy was there.I wasnt just saw the story and didnt have a first hand account of that situation .In general it was another wingcar related post I shared as many others from whoever.
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

DC_1

LOL, it kills me that a lot of people that hate on GYC do it because they claim it has too much staged drama yet those very same people create and manufacture drama themselves all the time.

My opinion:Car looks great, show is entertaining........carry on.

billssuperbird

Homerr

Good to hear some info from you Tom.  And don't worry about the internets, they always get their panties in a twist.  Moparts is particularly fickle.

I don't think you need to justify anything.

TONY

Tom

Well said!

I'm glad you came on to comment and set things straight from the horses mouth!

talk to you soon

Tony

tan top

read that on moparts the other day ,  what is it with that lot over there  :shruggy:   :girlfight: :blahblah:  :lol: ;)

,  so what ! on the rear wheel horse power  , & you did not wind the motor out to the max ! who cares !!   think the stock rear wheel horse power of a 69 440 hp  motor with a auto trans 210 -220  ,  ignore it !!   i'm sure if you wound the motor out to the max & something unfortunate , happened , like the motor blew etc , the comments still would of been the same over there  , except !  not about the power !   but   :hah: haha the motor let go .
  ignore it / them !!      awesome car sure every one over there & on this site would love to own it , me included  ,   :drool5:  any time you feel the need for more power , far easier  having  motor built & dropping it in , than having a nut & bolt restoration done  :Twocents:

still each to their own ,  no offence to the moparts mob  :cheers:   :cheers: :cheers: :2thumbs:

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Aero426

No problem with Moparts.    It's a big board with a lot of members.    There are always going to be a few people who take pleasure in trying to spoil the fun.    I have no problem with the silly threads.   I just don't open them.     The resto board, I think is quite good.   

tan top

Quote from: Aero426 on August 16, 2014, 04:05:35 PM
No problem with Moparts.    It's a big board with a lot of members.    There are always going to be a few people who take pleasure in trying to spoil the fun.    I have no problem with the silly threads.   I just don't open them.     The resto board, I think is quite good.   

yes that's true  , there are all ways a few , no matter where you go !!    some good  guys on there too &  soo much knowledge ,  soo  many topics , can never work the search though  :pullinghair: :lol:
moparts was the first website i found when I first got a computer  :P   then ebay looking for mopars , then stumbled on the old dodgecharger.com site  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Grm2159

I saw toms car while I was out in Oregon at GYC. The car is beautiful. My 440-6 pack 70 challenger is being restored by GYC. I will not be beating on the car and taking a chance to blow the engine. I will have fun with it but luckily I have a few other toys to play with. Tom has been enjoying that car and giving so much pleasure to sooo many people at all the shows he goes to. Too bad some people have to always start about something.

TUFCAT

Great reply Tom.  :yesnod:   I bet your sick and tired of people by now... :icon_smile_angry:

I'm sure most of them are great, but there's always that dreaded 5% of A-holes you have to deal with these days.  :eek2:   By the way, I talked to you at Carlisle.  You were very nice, and I wasn't an a-hole....just think, we got along great!  :icon_smile_wink:

68RT440

Well said, Tom. My dad and I were at the Nationals and were checking out the Daytona in the Legendary booth. The car is beautiful in person, TV does not do it justice, and it certainly looked like you were having a great time. We are big fans of the show, and its a shame that people have to try and rain on your parade. I hope that my dad and I are able to have half of the fun when were done restoring our '68 that you are having with your car. We saw you at Carlisle as well, and it looked like you had way more fans of the Daytona then the D-bags that are on the forums. I hope that those people don't ruin it for you, because I like seeing you and the car on the forums and at the shows!  :2thumbs:
1968 Charger R/T, matching numbers 440/727, black with green top and interior, currently getting restored by me

r4daytona

Tufcat, you're right, you weren't an a-hole. In fact I thought it was pretty cool of you to say you thought the car came out better than you anticipated.  I know you were skeptical of the show so I appreciate the compliment. 

For the rest of you guys I appreciate the comments and advice.  I'm not looking for a pat on the back all the time but as you can see having the car done on the show is a double edged sword.  Many people like it - and to many it's become a target to pick apart.   At Carlisle I asked Tony D. to look at my car and give me tips on how to improve upon the things I did not expect Mark (GYC) to do.  Over time, those will happen but in the mean time I have to deal with the "experts".  I know I'm not one, I consider myself very knowledgeable but no expert.  But I will say this, when I know something - I know it And it's only because of guys like Tony, Gene, Doug, Troy, Danny to name a few and you guys on this site.

Of course I got back to my car at the Nats and found out a guy was wondering when I was going to be back because he wanted to know why I put a 68 shifter knob on a 69 car??  Maybe that guy should have also told Bob Malcholm the his survivor Daytona was wrong as well.  After looking at Bob's awesome car the only thing I've found consistent with Daytonas is inconsistency. 

The thing that pisses me off the most is that it seems like there were guys talking to me at the Nats all nice as can be and then become dickheads once they get behind the protection of their keyboard.  Talk about no balls!

69_500

Did you look over the Malcom's V2 car or the R4 one? V2 car is possibly the nicest survivor Daytona I have ever seen. That thing is gorgeous.

moparstuart

Toms a great guy , car is a nice car  , sad that there are so many haters out there . :rotz: :rotz: :rotz: :rotz: :rotz: :rotz:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

1970Moparmann

Quote from: r4daytona on August 16, 2014, 11:25:13 PM

The thing that pisses me off the most is that it seems like there were guys talking to me at the Nats all nice as can be and then become dickheads once they get behind the protection of their keyboard.  Talk about no balls!

X2 Tom!

As much as there are some awesome Mopar people at the shows, the few bad eggs there are, ruin my time at and after a show.    This is why I just go to open shows.   Tired of people telling me what's wrong with my car and trying to tell me what to do.

I just brought my Coronet to a 500+ cruise night last week.  It was nice to "Wow, really nice car" / "Awesome color" / " Tell me about it" !  I had a blast and met some great people. 

You have a kick ass car, and I'm sure your enjoying the hell out of it!   :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

r4daytona

Danny, i did look over one of his cars at the Nats and took a bunch of pictures.  Not sure which car it was though.  Here's just a couple of the inconsistencies that drive me nuts.  I have the curved hood latch with no lever - his was straight with the lever. I painted my front hood bump stops - his are not.  All the nose seal kit was put in mine - he said only a few of his cars have the seals.   Oh well, am doing the best I can.

Golden-Arm

Quote from: pettybird on August 15, 2014, 03:36:48 PM
 Wing cars don't have to be fast, either...people just assume they are and you can leave it at that  ;)

they do have to be fast. they don't have to be quick. there is a difference. :2thumbs:

the car was built to run at top end, not in the quarter. (or even the eighth) the car is sweet, regardless of gyc getting their paws on it. :cheers:

69_500

Quote from: r4daytona on August 17, 2014, 08:25:18 PM
Danny, i did look over one of his cars at the Nats and took a bunch of pictures.  Not sure which car it was though.  Here's just a couple of the inconsistencies that drive me nuts.  I have the curved hood latch with no lever - his was straight with the lever. I painted my front hood bump stops - his are not.  All the nose seal kit was put in mine - he said only a few of his cars have the seals.   Oh well, am doing the best I can.
Sounds like they brought their R4 car not the V2 one.

moparnation74

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on August 17, 2014, 09:09:33 AM

X2 Tom!

As much as there are some awesome Mopar people at the shows, the few bad eggs there are, ruin my time at and after a show.    This is why I just go to open shows.   Tired of people telling me what's wrong with my car and trying to tell me what to do.

I just brought my Coronet to a 500+ cruise night last week.  It was nice to "Wow, really nice car" / "Awesome color" / " Tell me about it" !  I had a blast and met some great people. 

You have a kick ass car, and I'm sure your enjoying the hell out of it!   :2thumbs:
Could not have said it better myself! Tom, Beautiful ride!

pettybird

Quote from: 69_500 on August 18, 2014, 04:08:48 AM
Sounds like they brought their R4 car not the V2 one.

it was the V2.  Sharon showed off a really nice (and huge!) trophy the car had won recently.

pettybird

After looking at Bob's awesome car the only thing I've found consistent with Daytonas is inconsistency. 

Welcome to wing car ownership.  I had to explain the fender scoops like 18 times at the nats.  For all the articles about those cars it's amazing that people don't know or are misinformed.  I went to a local Mopar show with the B5 car and I walked back to the car to hear one expert tell his buddy 'there's a lot of incorrect stuff in here (engine compartment).'  Apparently the friend must have been unaware that ceramic coated Hooker long tubes, an Indy intake, a Proform billet carb, a yellow Accel super stock coil, chrome Direct Connection valve covers, etc. weren't factory.  And YOU get a double bonus for being on TV with it.  I'm surprised at the number of questions I've fielded after only being on one episode...

I went by the Legendary booth four times but you had a crowd around you each time and I didn't want to break in. 

r4daytona

You could have broke in to the conversation, anybody can.  Then again, if it's a hot chick with no wedding ring - come back later ! :smilielol:
TONS of experts, I have this since 08 and I'm still no expert.

jaak

Tom, your Daytona looks great  :drool5: I for one would love to have a car like that.
Nevermind those jerks on Moparts.... they are worse than "Corvette Guy", that's why I don't really read any of the forums over there.

Jason

pettybird

Quote from: r4daytona on August 19, 2014, 02:47:22 PM
You could have broke in to the conversation, anybody can.  Then again, if it's a hot chick with no wedding ring - come back later !

We met at Albion (with the unrestored Petty Blue 'bird) and I'm sure that you'll recall that I don't meet that criteria ;)

I figured I'd catch you again as I bounce around a bunch when I'm down there.