News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

GYC in hot water over Rex's lime green 70 Charger.

Started by Cooter, September 22, 2014, 06:39:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi-hampton

This talk reminds me of the time I was working in a body shop (about 20 years ago) & This car got rear ended & buckled the 1/4 panel on one side. Insurance company paid to bump the very rear of the 1/4 by tail light & replace rear bumper. Can't remember if I did the body work or just the paint work. I do remember this car was like a $100 winter beater transportation special. It had a bad case of rust & huge amounts of big rust scabbies on both rear 1/4's. Very ugly looking. To make a long story short I had to paint the rear of this 1/4 panel where it was bumped & bondo'd & primed & blend color over the rust scabbies & clear whole 1/4 over rust spots. Not something I wanted to do but Insurance or customers were not going to pay to fix the rust. :brickwall: :slap: LEON.

torredcuda

Quote from: Aero426 on September 26, 2014, 10:37:54 AM
  I am talking about the structural part of the job.    Some of that cannot be fixed CORRECTLY without at least part of the car being blown back apart.    

I think that is the real problem, the car needs to stripped down, put back on the frame machine and re-pulled correctly to dimensions -  not a quick easy fix. Then most of  the work would need to redone to make it "right", a lot more than just fixing a few issues which I think is why Rex is asking for so much.

Aero426

One thing that seems to be clear; this particular shop did not have the right people on the job to handle a heavy collision repair like this.   The car was not a "good" car to start with.   That is something as a shop you sort of have to assume to begin with.    As far as the hocus pocus about the universal measuring systems, even the electronic kind like the Chief knock off being used; they are only as good as the person operating it.   And they do not solve boogered up panel issues and the way the car appears to be thrown together.   

torredcuda

Quote from: r4daytona on September 25, 2014, 11:02:34 AM
First I know most say I'm biased because Mark did my car, but I have to give my thoughts.  We all know Mark slipped on this one, even he admits it.  We all are saying that it shouldn't have left the shop like that and Mark agrees as well.  He, in my opinion, has gone above and beyond to right a wrong and Rex refused.  HE even paid for Rex to get the estimate and Rex didn't get a line item estimate. Would have any of the shop owners accepted that? And even though it wasn't itemized STILL agree to pay it? Rex refused again.

So here's my summary:  Mark agreed to do a "collision repair" not a restoration.  Upon getting into the car and seeing other problems arise communication was lost which shouldn't have happened.  We all agree the work wasn't the best.

Rex gets car back and is unhappy and contacts Mark.  He figures Mark is rich(which he is not) and tries to soak him for what he can.
Mark asks what the problems are and for an estimate and Rex refuses and just wants a big fat check.
Somewhere about this point Rex then asked for a job. Mark didn't answer so Rex then just wanted $35K (if I remember right - I might be off slightly)
Rex finally agrees to get an estimate since Mark said he'd pay for it and it didn't come out to what Rex was hoping for so Rex disagreed and added for mental anguish, etc.
Somewhere during this, Rex, in my opinion, tried Blackmailing Mark with "pay me what I want or I'll go public"    Would any of us tolerate that?
Rex doesn't get what he wants so he starts his FB page and like the Pied Piper has a bunch of mice following. 

Sounds like Cyber-bullying/criminal harassment/defamation of character - (since Mark tried to remedy it in the first place)

I'm no attorney, but if I was Mark, I would counter sue the shit out of him for the extortion / blackmail he attempted and make sure the insurance knew of the insurance fraud.  Rex claims mental anguish.. what about Marks?  If like you guys have indicated Rex may now be liable for Marks attorney fees, if Mark won and Rex couldn't pay - I'd take his car!  Then restore it and fix it.  If it was me I would make it a show winner just out of spite! 

Here's the problem for Mark - I'm sure he wants this to end, but even if it turned out that Mark had to pay the 10K for repairs, it won't end. Even if Rex was told to delete the FB page, it won't end.  Someone, somewhere will just start a different FB page and still show pictures of Rex's car and talk about it in past tense.  Hell, it could even be Rex with a different name!  I'd sue the shit out of him if possible because this won't end due to social media.

So when did asking for a partial or even a full refund for work that was not performed properly become extortion???

Dodge Don

Quote from: torredcuda on October 25, 2014, 08:47:47 AM
First I know most say I'm biased because Mark did my car, but I have to give my thoughts.  We all know Mark slipped on this one, even he admits it.  We all are saying that it shouldn't have left the shop like that and Mark agrees as well.  He, in my opinion, has gone above and beyond to right a wrong and Rex refused.  HE even paid for Rex to get the estimate and Rex didn't get a line item estimate. Would have any of the shop owners accepted that? And even though it wasn't itemized STILL agree to pay it? Rex refused again.

So here's my summary:  Mark agreed to do a "collision repair" not a restoration.  Upon getting into the car and seeing other problems arise communication was lost which shouldn't have happened.  We all agree the work wasn't the best.

Rex gets car back and is unhappy and contacts Mark.  He figures Mark is rich(which he is not) and tries to soak him for what he can.
Mark asks what the problems are and for an estimate and Rex refuses and just wants a big fat check.
Somewhere about this point Rex then asked for a job. Mark didn't answer so Rex then just wanted $35K (if I remember right - I might be off slightly)
Rex finally agrees to get an estimate since Mark said he'd pay for it and it didn't come out to what Rex was hoping for so Rex disagreed and added for mental anguish, etc.
Somewhere during this, Rex, in my opinion, tried Blackmailing Mark with "pay me what I want or I'll go public"    Would any of us tolerate that?
Rex doesn't get what he wants so he starts his FB page and like the Pied Piper has a bunch of mice following. 

Sounds like Cyber-bullying/criminal harassment/defamation of character - (since Mark tried to remedy it in the first place)

I'm no attorney, but if I was Mark, I would counter sue the shit out of him for the extortion / blackmail he attempted and make sure the insurance knew of the insurance fraud.  Rex claims mental anguish.. what about Marks?  If like you guys have indicated Rex may now be liable for Marks attorney fees, if Mark won and Rex couldn't pay - I'd take his car!  Then restore it and fix it.  If it was me I would make it a show winner just out of spite! 

Here's the problem for Mark - I'm sure he wants this to end, but even if it turned out that Mark had to pay the 10K for repairs, it won't end. Even if Rex was told to delete the FB page, it won't end.  Someone, somewhere will just start a different FB page and still show pictures of Rex's car and talk about it in past tense.  Hell, it could even be Rex with a different name!  I'd sue the shit out of him if possible because this won't end due to social media.

So when did asking for a partial or even a full refund for work that was not performed properly become extortion???

He offered to cover having the errors fixed even if another shop did it.

BananaDan

I'm not sure you can get a 'refund' when it wasn't your money that was spent.  It was the insurance company's money. Therefore, if it's not a refund, what would you call it?
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

torredcuda

Quote from: Dodge Don on October 25, 2014, 08:54:08 AM

He offered to cover having the errors fixed even if another shop did it.

and that is the problem now - to figure out a number to get it fixed that both parties agree on.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: BananaDan on October 25, 2014, 11:33:39 AM

I'm not sure you can get a 'refund' when it wasn't your money that was spent.  It was the insurance company's money. Therefore, if it's not a refund, what would you call it?

Reimbursement. Or settlement .
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

moparnation74

Quote from: Aero426 on October 22, 2014, 08:19:46 PM
One thing that seems to be clear; this particular shop did not have the right people on the job to handle a heavy collision repair like this.   The car was not a "good" car to start with.   That is something as a shop you sort of have to assume to begin with.    As far as the hocus pocus about the universal measuring systems, even the electronic kind like the Chief knock off being used; they are only as good as the person operating it.   And they do not solve boogered up panel issues and the way the car appears to be thrown together.  
:iagree:

As far as the legal ramifications, I will sit back and:: :popcrn: and see what the proffesionals figure out.  Mistakes on both parties involved.

Aero426

Since they paid the claim, and the repair clearly has quality (and safety issues), I am not understanding why the owners insurance company doesn't seem to be handling the problem directly with the shop that did the repair.

bill440rt

Quote from: Aero426 on October 25, 2014, 07:47:39 PM
Since they paid the claim, and the repair clearly has quality (and safety issues), I am not understanding why the owners insurance company doesn't seem to be handling the problem directly with the shop that did the repair.

The insurance company may not have had an agreement with the shop under any kind of repair program.
The car owner was compensated for his loss, he chose the shop, etc etc. If there is a repair issue it's now between the vehicle owner and the shop.
If the insurance company does have any kind of agreement with the shop (contract, etc), then maybe they'll have some pull for the customer working with that shop in getting the issues resolved.

This is one giant clusterf**k. Sounds like some lawyers are gonna have to sort this one out.  :rotz:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

TUFCAT

Cluster F for sure.  :brickwall:

First the car was totaled by Hagerty...

Then Mercury American (the other drivers insurance company) stepped up and negotiated a settlement offer with Mark Worman. Perhaps Rex lost any future recourse through Mercury American after making this deal....who knows?  I'm just sayin' the payout could have had some contingency's attached since the car was originally considered a total loss.  :scratchchin:  

I wonder if this is anything like a Doctor's malpractice case?  :P    As Bill said, its definitely a case for lawyers to chew on....    

Indygenerallee

Who knows all I can say is if I PERSONALLY HAD A RESTO SHOP I WOULD HAVE NEVER TAKEN IT ON!!!!! Thing looks like a total POS now after 30 G's worth of work by GYC IMO they are in the wrong. No welded trunk to rear frame rails, mess of paint work, gaps a mile wide, missing parts...GYC's dropped the ball big time!!!!  :eek2:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

1974dodgecharger

seems now its in his hands.....and Mark has gotten nasty and called his Boss to try to get Rex fired at where he works as a mechanic at a dodge dealership.

Both are wrong, but Rex now wants 25k in cash from Mark and call it good.

TUFCAT

Quote from: Indygenerallee on October 25, 2014, 09:12:19 PM
Who knows all I can say is if I PERSONALLY HAD A RESTO SHOP I WOULD HAVE NEVER TAKEN IT ON!!!!! Thing looks like a total POS now after 30 G's worth of work by GYC IMO they are in the wrong. No welded trunk to rear frame rails, mess of paint work, gaps a mile wide, missing parts...GYC's dropped the ball big time!!!!  :eek2:

Absolutely!!  :iagree:  :badidea:  Trust me, I like Mopars just as much as the next guy ...but that car was better off DEAD!

Indygenerallee

IMO Mark oughta settle for the 25G's cause that whole ass end of that 70 needs taken apart and redone. he was just hoping he would bite for 10g's and settle. That's not gonna fix that car!
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

bill440rt

From a collision standpoint the car WAS repairable.
However in the big picture there are 2 things it doesn't/didn't have going for it: 1) The current collision repairs are improper and, 2) There were pre-existing issues that needed attending to but were not.
Sure, you could say the car was a cobbled mess beforehand. It doesn't make it right nor is it an excuse that the NEW repairs are still cobbled up.

What a mess...  :rotz:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

1974dodgecharger

that and he keeps EMPHASIZING DAILY DRIVER!!!!  How rare the car is, but yet he chops up the auto to put in a 4 speed. 

that's just a side note.....

moparnation74

I have said this several times in this thread.  In the only GYC episode this year so far Mark stated, "How great the bodywork, panel alignment, and better than factory specs achieved on that car."  Then we saw the true results! 

This was on National Television!
Quote from: Indygenerallee on October 25, 2014, 09:12:19 PM
Who knows all I can say is if I PERSONALLY HAD A RESTO SHOP I WOULD HAVE NEVER TAKEN IT ON!!!!! Thing looks like a total POS now after 30 G's worth of work by GYC IMO they are in the wrong. No welded trunk to rear frame rails, mess of paint work, gaps a mile wide, missing parts...GYC's dropped the ball big time!!!!  :eek2:
:iagree:

moparnation74

Quote from: chargerman69 on November 02, 2014, 09:17:25 PM
https://www.facebook.com/rex.wilsonii?ref=ts&fref=ts

He's bin posting things lately
Link, says no longer available

Some of us here don't do FB.  Anyway you can paste what you saw?

chargerman69

After GYC. You can see the rocker is still pulled in from the accident. Had the rear footwells and rear body floor been like it shows on the estimate and the insurance was billed for, this might not be like this. The rocker on the passenger side rocker gradually starts to protrude slightly mid door and the bottom of door to rocker gap gets wider. The body is not only crooked but twisted. Mark Replaced the b-pillar because it had been previously hit on this side. He to this day argues the drivers b pillar wasn't affected by this accident. He acts like he did me a favor for replacing the b pillar. Yet he didn't replace the actual culprits evan though he was paid to.

chargerman69

I challenge Mark Worman to come and go over his repair with me. Mark maintains there a a few quality issues. I maintain that it's closer to fifty individual items some huge some small and that it is literally everything they did. that's also counting all the problems with the paint as one item. I promise not to beat him senseless. If he's not comfortable with that he can send a rep. The one who's closest to their number a "few" or fifty wins "Few" I get zero. Fifty, I get a complete refund.

chargerman69

When I told the guy at the body shop tiday about the layer of bondo on it before the accident, He said "All show cars do. "You can build one that is all metal but it will cost you two hundred grand" Not the first time I heard that. The first time was when I was getting estimates for the front fender that was hit ten days after I got it. He also said "Whoever did the paint and body really knew what they were doing." Nobody will be saying that now!

chargerman69

Here are some photos of my poorly performed four speed swap. I installed the tunnel with screws and sealer so that it could be easily removed and saved the piece of floor so it could be stitched back in and saved all hardware, Pedals and the numbers matching 727 in case a future owner when I'm dead and gone wants to make it a auto again